Carlyle Tools

NC-Fordguy

Thanks to Conductor, there's a blog on the front page covering Carlyle tools.  He gives a great overview and introduction of the line to this forum.

I started buying the line when Napa first introduced the tools a couple years back,  I've been using the tools as my front line service in my 4x4 shop since their debut.  The tools have performed great thus far with only one tool broken, a t-15 torx bit.  This a good testament to their durability as what ends up ni my shop are 4x4s that have ended their life as a commuter or grocery getter with rock crawling in store or a vintage 4x4 that is getting a new lease on life.  Either way this translates into stubborn, quite often seized fasteners that are any where from 10 years to 50 years old.

Lift kits, ring and pinion upgrades, transfer case rebuild, custom fabrication and restoration work are common projects.

Now to some of the tools.........

Thanks NCFG!

When I first got into the Carlyle line I really wasn't expecting much. In a time when most house brand tools have gone to shit, I figured Carlyle was probably a down grade from the previous generation Danaher sourced tools.

I was wrong.

My Carlyle assortment currently stands at a single Power 90 ratchet, the 42 piece BSH42 hex bit socket set, and the crown jewel of the Carlyle line (IMO of course), their "Flank Drive +" style combo wrenches. All 3 of these items are great tools thus far. As I mentioned in my article, the 13 tooth, full pawl engagement of the P90 ratchets is really something. I'd be surprised if there's another ratchet on the market with as much contact area.

The BSH42 was a great value at the ridiculously cheap price I got it for on eBay, but even at full price it's a very comprehensive set. The Carlyle bit sockets come from the same OEM as the Mac bit sockets do and while they aren't much cheaper than Mac's, Mac doesn't offer this big of a hex bit set either.

The combo's are really phenomenal. Their pretty much a copy of the Snap-On FD+ design, and perform extremely well at a much more affordable price the Snap-On.

If I were starting out as a mechanic today, it would be hard to pass on some of Carlyle's items, especially considering they offer the same student discount program as the trucks. As Fedwrench has stated, many people will never be happy with an Adian tool regardless of quality, but the Carlyle line is a real testament to the level of quality the Taiwanese are capable of producing.

You can bet there will be more to come from Carlyle here at TIA!

post-515-0-72818500-1419927956_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-69433200-1419928004_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-25325600-1419928018_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-58169500-1419927978_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Went in to the local Santucky (Sandy, OR) NAPA to get some chemicals, and ran across a 3/8" drive Torx (well, "star bit") impact set. I haven't used them yet, but there's lot of Torx on my Jeep, and Jeeps tend to get rusty...

76067D19-C99D-4026-8E34-BF85A5A9C16A_zps

12200F9B-22BE-4EDD-9746-9DF5F3728F25_zps

Etched on one side, stamped on the other:

E5A3E6B7-BE02-4624-9A30-41D750D01C98_zps

A90675EE-641D-4C5E-B2AE-17723EA05627_zps

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I 'needed' some cutters (my Leatherman just wouldn't do!) and I didn't feel like making the 25 mile round trip to HD for some Channelocks, so just for gits and shiggles I stopped at NAPA. Glad I did. I'm beginning to hate that drive...

DSC_3871_zpso7ui99xr.jpg

DSC_3873_zps9lvbapfc.jpg

DSC_3874_zpstyrnxrnt.jpg

DSC_3876_zpsyykjpc4l.jpg

DSC_3877_zpsz9sv6suk.jpg

DSC_3878_zpsytbwyn0e.jpg

DSC_3879_zpsb543o4ar.jpg

• Like 3

Went in to the local Santucky (Sandy, OR) NAPA to get some chemicals, and ran across a 3/8" drive Torx (well, "star bit") impact set. I haven't used them yet, but there's lot of Torx on my Jeep, and Jeeps tend to get rusty...

76067D19-C99D-4026-8E34-BF85A5A9C16A_zps

12200F9B-22BE-4EDD-9746-9DF5F3728F25_zps

Etched on one side, stamped on the other:

E5A3E6B7-BE02-4624-9A30-41D750D01C98_zps

A90675EE-641D-4C5E-B2AE-17723EA05627_zps

. Wow really nice set there BK and for around 25ish they look pretty durable and well made nice buys bro!

. Wow really nice set there BK and for around 25ish they look pretty durable and well made nice buys bro!

Didn't you say you were looking at getting more hand tools Mike? If so I would recommend Carlyle. They make some really good stuff for far less than the tool trucks
  • Like 1

Didn't you say you were looking at getting more hand tools Mike? If so I would recommend Carlyle. They make some really good stuff for far less than the tool trucks

. Yes sir Nicholas! I just always forget about Carlyle as I hardly stop by Napa and the sad part is they're on like 4 blocks from my house :/
  • Like 1

. Yes sir Nicholas! I just always forget about Carlyle as I hardly stop by Napa and the sad part is they're on like 4 blocks from my house :/

They are the best place to get tools in my town other than ordering online. We don't have a single tool truck that rolls through anymore.

There's an Ace in town, but after they locked the door in my face at five minutes 'till closing time and then gave me a nasty grin, I'll not give them a penny of my money. It's either a half hour drive, order off the Internet, buy cheap crap, or Carlyle. Good thing I kinda like Carlyle. It's not raging infatuation like I have with Wright, but I dig NAPA's tools.

The Carlyle roto ratchet is one I'm interested in. I'll probably end up with the 1/4" and 3/8" eventually.

Have you used the flare nut wrenches much yet Nicholas? That's one item that I've always thought you'd want to go with one of the top brands.... I have SAE SK but figured when I need metric I would spring for Snap On...

• 3 months later...

Carlyle is bad ass... We use those on our service truck and even put them on the 1/2" impacts and they hold up good. Haven't seen one break yet. Love their wrenches too, they practically Snap On's. Same look and feel with the grip system to keep from rounding bolts.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk