Starting a commercial HVAC job... MONDAY... Questions on tools in the belt.

para4175

I know there are some Tinners on this forum, looking for advice on what is a need in the toolbelt come Monday. As the title says starting an HVAC commercial job Monday. All the experience I have had before has been architectural in sheet metal. I know tools must be a little different.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated thanks...

google is your friend, thats what i found:

For the entry level hvac equipment installer job, you will normally be required to purchase some specialized hvac tools. The basic toolbag will contain right and left handed snips in both straight and offset types, a tinner's hammer, seaming tongs (also called hand seamers), hand crimpers, hand notchers, and a snap lock punch. Other specialized needs will include an offset duct stretcher which is used to pull the ends of metal ducts close enough to get drive cleats started on them. You will also need various lengths of hand folding tools to prepare metal ducts for joining after they have been cut off.

**HOT TIP** You can get a combo drive tool that includes a duct puller, folding tool, scribe, and ruler all in one.

To work with ductboard or flex ducts, you will need a duct knife and a ductboard knife as well as a strap gun.

Generally speaking, most employers will provide electrical testing meters such as a digital voltmeter and a clamp on ammeter as well as an infrared non-contact thermometer for service technicians. They will also normally provide a portable oxy acetylene torch, vacuum pump, refrigerant recovery machine, and refrigerant guages to both service technicians and installation technicians.

and also this here:

Yes Google is everyone's friends but figure I might get some inside secrets from some guys along the trade and thanks madman. HVAC will be a whole new world but I am wanting and willing to learn. Should be fun.

Thanks for the info

Yes Google is everyone's friends but figure I might get some inside secrets from some guys along the trade and thanks madman. HVAC will be a whole new world but I am wanting and willing to learn. Should be fun.

Thanks for the info

CONGRATS on the job!!

Never tinned before para4175 but congratulations on the job dude! Have fun with it and learn learn learn! A very good friend of mine retired out of the Boston local and he has had a heck or career doing that job. When he retired he was using his skills part time to do high end chimney carps and decorations. Ken has had quite the career and loved it.

From what I have seen on our site:

Tin snips (G,Y,R) sheet metal hammer,vice grips, flat vice grips, drill, impact, grinder (cordless is better in this case), drill bits, hole saws, speed square, knife, tape measure, markers, pencils, safety glasses, gloves to name a few. Also, congrats on the new job! Sheet metal work doesn't seem too bad! Least you get to work with your hands and learn a new trade.

FB82

Wish i could have been of help to you with the tool list but no real experience besides what small stuff i run into in residential remodeling where it isnt worth calling my HVAC contractor..

Congrats on the new job though and i hope its going well!!   im sure some of the other guys on the job will have the best advice for you in terms of exactly what you will need! 

Commercial sheet metal worker. Doing hvac side of it so far hanging duct work and different units and VAV. Working on a new construction build for the Capitol here in minnesota. Some new legislative building worth 100 million. At least that's what they said in the safety meeting lol. Yes I have all the basic stuff from when I was on the architectural side of sheet metal was just looking for some tools or advice as far as what I might need that I won't see on any list on my union page. Actually almost got kicked off the job site 2 hours into the day I didn't have a trade workers card for being an apprentice. I did not know I needed one because for architectural you are not required to have one but for hvac and work in st. Paul area you better have one..lol

• 3 months later...