Battery Size Compact or XC

Doof

I'm a hyper new home owner. Renovating and repairing and building and altering left and right. I've finally convinced my wife of the merits of a good cordless combo kit. I'm looking at the M18 Fuel Hammer Drill/ Impact Driver Kit.

While my tendency is to go for the biggest--i.e.-the 4.0 xc batteries--part of me things the compacts will do the trick (though they don't draw the torque), and then later in the year I can add a xc 5.0 battery to the mix to get the full 725 in. lbs of torque from the drill.

I use my tools for tons of things--from planting augers and mixing, auger-ing to rot stumps, to general construction, drywall and renovation. The house is also on a 50 yr. old slab, so the hammer will see some use.

I'm just looking for some thoughts from experienced users. My tendency is to think the larger batteries best serve professionals because of the longer run time for a single day's work. But I want to know what other's think.

Should I get the 4.0 xc combo kit? Or will the compact kit serve me well?

The larger batteries are probably the safer bet, but i like to have both. If you're using the impact driver for smaller fixings, there's nothing better than a slim battery on it to make it so small and comfortable...

The thing to remember is that the only difference between the compact and the XC batteries is runtime (well, size too). You'll need thr 4.0s or 5.0s if you're working all day building a deck, building a shed or putting together a swing set. Other than that, the compact batteries will last plenty long enough. I just built a TV mount out of 2x12s that included driving a bunch of 5" lags and about a dozen tapcons into a brick wall. The whole project took several hours and my 4.0 batteries were still at 3 bars in both the impact and the hammer drill so I am sure that I could have used 2.0 batteries instead.

Long story short - go for the compacts for now. You can always add high cap batteries later if you need the runtime.

Also, with regard to power. A lot of people don't realise that there CAN be a difference in power between smaller and larger capacity batteries, but there isn't always.

A higher capacity battery can give a higher discharge rate (as well as the bigger gas tank), but in reality, it often doesn't. I tested out my Dewalt 20V hammer drill, impact driver and circular saw. Only the impact driver saw a power increase with the large batteries (4ah vs 2ah), and it was a significant (but not huge) difference.

Sometimes the manufacturers detail the different torque you get in their different kits...

I think overall I agree with kdv. I love slim batteries, but I'm a DIY guy not a tradie.

my fuel circular saw seems to cut better when a 4.0 battery is used versus the small battery, I'm not talking run time because that is obvious 

another thing is my M18 fuel drill is not used as much as my fuel impact driver however that being said because the drill weighs that much more I like to have the compact on the drill.....

I have 2 of each battery 2 compact 2 of the XC and 2 of the 4.0 no 5.0 yet.....don't see a need 

That's a critical point, TJ. The warranty thing is to be considered. Perhaps it's best to just build a kit from bare tools, seeing as there is a starter XC 3.0 battery/charger kit promo right now. I am a little reluctant, because, it's only one battery, and no case. If you look at it apples to apples, it makes sense to just by the full kit, case and all. Then I'd get two 4.0 batteries. Overall, a better value.

Blast these value added propositions! We want both to save money and get the best deal!!! Will the planets ever align?

Any thoughts on when to purchase? Will there be new promos for June/Father's Day?

Its going to be June soon with Fathers day. I would personally wait. I'm sure Milwaukee will have their free battery bare tool deal going on during that time. It's kinda like clockwork with them on that promo.

The thing to remember is that the only difference between the compact and the XC batteries is runtime (well, size too). You'll need thr 4.0s or 5.0s if you're working all day building a deck, building a shed or putting together a swing set. Other than that, the compact batteries will last plenty long enough. I just built a TV mount out of 2x12s that included driving a bunch of 5" lags and about a dozen tapcons into a brick wall. The whole project took several hours and my 4.0 batteries were still at 3 bars in both the impact and the hammer drill so I am sure that I could have used 2.0 batteries instead.

Long story short - go for the compacts for now. You can always add high cap batteries later if you need the runtime.

I'm a hyper new home owner. Renovating and repairing and building and altering left and right. I've finally convinced my wife of the merits of a good cordless combo kit. I'm looking at the M18 Fuel Hammer Drill/ Impact Driver Kit.

While my tendency is to go for the biggest--i.e.-the 4.0 xc batteries--part of me things the compacts will do the trick (though they don't draw the torque), and then later in the year I can add a xc 5.0 battery to the mix to get the full 725 in. lbs of torque from the drill.

I use my tools for tons of things--from planting augers and mixing, auger-ing to rot stumps, to general construction, drywall and renovation. The house is also on a 50 yr. old slab, so the hammer will see some use.

I'm just looking for some thoughts from experienced users. My tendency is to think the larger batteries best serve professionals because of the longer run time for a single day's work. But I want to know what other's think.

Should I get the 4.0 xc combo kit? Or will the compact kit serve me well?

It's not just the run time you get a lot more power from the 3.0-5.0 vs the slim packs.

That added power is part of my concern, Mil-Nut. The extra 75 in/lbs bump could definitely go a long way in some of the more strenuous duties I've coming up. Maybe the xc 4.0 set and supplement with a 2.0 for lighter duty jobs and general work in the future. What is it that bumps the power? Do the 5.0s bump the power up from the 725 in/lbs. the 3.0 & 4.0s give? Or is it that the compacts limit the load for efficiency?

The compacts limit discharge to not damage the cells. XC have twice the cells so can draw more power. I'm not aware of any power difference between 3.0, 4.0, or 5.0; just runtime. I use m12 and m18 fuel at work and at home and, aside from saws and the big beast tools I would generally recommend compacts. My M18 collection is powered by half a dozen 4.0s. I honestly wish I had some 2.0s for the impact driver etc., even the hammer drill gets tiresome with XC packs all day. For homeowner tasks, stick to compacts except for saws.

I've decided to get the 4.0 xc combo kit, mainly for value added. To build the same kit (were I ever to need the larger capacities), it would cost notably more than the Fuel Hammer/Impact kit bundle.

Still, it feels odd to say I covet those compact 2.0's. It's like the first time someone finds themselves impressed with mpg efficiency. I love the raw power of the xc, but there is a great liberation to efficiency and convenience too. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout for a deal on compact 2.0s. Perhaps there will be some compact 3.0s seeing as though 6 ah batteries are starting to appear elsewhere.

That being said, for DIY usages, I'll be putting these puppies to the test pretty hard in the coming months. Perhaps the 4.0s will prove to fit the bill.

Bremon, I'll take your general advice, after having 2x 4.0s, I'll supplement with compacts, and not acquire too many XCs. Thanks guys!