Fireplace DONE!

Looks great!! My friend has a problem with his fireplace it's got textured pink brick. He wants to do something with it but isn't sure. He doesn't know if he can tile or do a brick veneer like you did.He might just end up painting it as a quick fix. I wish I had a picture of it. A woman had to have picked the brick and color it is crazy how bad it is.

Looks great!! My friend has a problem with his fireplace it's got textured pink brick. He wants to do something with it but isn't sure. He doesn't know if he can tile or do a brick veneer like you did.He might just end up painting it as a quick fix. I wish I had a picture of it. A woman had to have picked the brick and color it is crazy how bad it is.

Painted brick is a sin against man and beast! That's my opinion haha.

Good news for him he could do either one.

There are two routes. He can either do the lath and scratch coat like I did, or cement board anchored to the brick.

The cement board is better if your finish product is going to be a tile and scratch coat for a stone product.

• Like 1

looks great. you did a great job with the stone and a great pick of stone1

Thank you very much!

The selection goes to my design department(wife). And I have to give credit to a good friend of mine who helped me not only with the work, but helped me manhandle the hearthstone in place.

To give you an idea of how heavy it was they used a mobile crane to set it in my truck. Needless to say we both were on our couches the following day.

Great job poison. That stone looks really good with the lighter bottom border and darker top.

Thank you Scoszko! I enjoyed working with the reclaimed beam on the mantle, anytime the chainsaw comes out is a good one. The hearth on the other hand, next time I will sub it out :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Poison, that is outstanding work man. I love the look you went for, it looks a lot better then just the standard brick. I'm sure it was a lot of work to get it done, but I know it's also nice to now sit back and see what you accomplished.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Guakamolee batman! Eric is right, that is a very nice fireplace. Its like a complete transformation! I don't even know how you did that, people need to hire you to do their fireplaces as well, say 1000 per fireplace. :)

$1000/ per fireplace is my labor cost only right? Haha thank you guys so much for the kind words. It was a lot of work, couple long nights but a lot of laughs too.

I was wondering, can this method be used over an existing tiled fireplace? My wife wants me to reface our tiled fireplace, but I don't know what's the best approach to take on this project. Good work on the fireplace BTW.

You have to start with a good base that is key. If your tile is sound then you can attach a cement board backer or lathe and scratch coat.

If you message me pics of your fireplace from different angles I could try and send a few pointers your way. I'm not a stone Mason but i can offer input.

• 2 weeks later...

If your asking about the screen it is a mesh on the outter border, then glass then the doors are the mesh. And thank you for the compliment.

Wait...so it's mesh-glass-mesh? 

Was it sold as a kit or or separate OR were you working with pre-existing fireplace-stuff?