New Guy from the Austin Suburbs

Shuutr

I guess I should have started here.

I'm a 37 year old father of three living just outside of Austin that finally got serious about my tools. I'm not a tradesman but I'll try to fix or install anything once. I'm the amateur woodworker that never took shop in high school but I'm making up for it now by learning the expensive way.

Like many DIYers I started amassing cheap tools that were on sale or gifted by people who knew even less about tools than me years ago only to be eventually frustrated. I'd go to grab that ole NiCad craftsman 13.2v drill to assemble something only to have the battery fail to hold a charge. Then grab the random screwdriver only to have the handle crack.

A few years ago I finally decided I was going to buy a good cordless drill. I was going to bite the bullet and spend more than $50 on a drill. I got a compact 18v makita drill/driver and impact driver set. That was pretty much the beginning of my current illness.

We can no longer park in our garage my workshop. I look for projects then try to justify when I need a new tool for said project. "I need to tear apart that desk...do I own a sledgehammer?"

But some purchases are more expensive than others and I'm hoping to not waste money but reading what you, the collective tool aficionados, have experienced before dropping my pretty pennies on the counter.

Thanks for setting up this forum.

Tools=life as men we need to have love for tools.... funny thing is my wife says shes okay with my tool addiction i call it my "hobbie" but shes happy i have a manly hobbie and not some panzy one haha so i kinda got off lucky plus im a framer and i use the excuse " im building my tool collection for when i go on my own" hahahah

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I think it would be funny if you actually did just that, went out on your own just like you said you would. And then to see the look on her face, she be so proud of you that she would jump out and buy you a 1000 dollar tool for celebration of your success. Then you learn what they all said was true, if she's happy, your happy! :D

I do plan on going on my own in a few years i still need to get a truck amd what not but also i do a lot of work at my moms house so she knows i need my tools but that funny thing is she likes to come to the tool store with me sometimes maybe to (keep an eye on my spending) who knows lol but when i talk about tools she has no idea what im talking about.. i think iv expland thw difference between worm drives and sidewinders to her 50 times and she still doesnt get it... so thats why i have you guys lol

That sounds awesome, my hat goes out to you fine man! One thing you learn about woman after awhile is how much smarter then you they are. See, they are the builders, but get the men to build it for them. Never forget that my friend, it might save you from a possible mistake in the future ;)

Hahahha ya bud sounds about what right lol i made a packed with her when we get our own house she takes carr of the inside stuff like cleaning and dishes il take care of all out side stuff hahaha witch means tools i love it being a man is great