Opinion Please: Tilesaws

n00b

The wife's planning on a backspash in our new kitchen.

She'll be needing a tile saw.  She'll be working, I'm assuming, with subway tiles.

I'm really not a fan of renting, but I don't really know.

I've seen on Teh Depot and Lowe's sites tabletops for about $100, which is the cost of renting for a day.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the cheaper / used tile saws are little table saws without the safety features / blade guards of big table saws.  While tile saws with abrasive blades won't cut your fingers off quite like a table saw will, they will ruin your day if you slip into it.  So, be sure to wear good gloves/goggles and look for a tile saw that has a sliding tray or fence for the work piece rather than trying to slide it across a piece of hard plastic and keep it straight manually.

• Like 2

I purchased the $100 version at HD about 8 years ago. I thought I was only going to use it once for a tile project in my bathroom. I've actually used it about 10 times for various projects. It works great as long as you go slow.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/QEP-3-4-HP-Wet-Tile-Saw-with-7-in-Diamond-Blade-22650Q/202615612

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the cheaper / used tile saws are little table saws without the safety features / blade guards of big table saws. While tile saws with abrasive blades won't cut your fingers off quite like a table saw will, they will ruin your day if you slip into it. So, be sure to wear good gloves/goggles and look for a tile saw that has a sliding tray or fence for the work piece rather than trying to slide it across a piece of hard plastic and keep it straight manually.

The ever controversial topic about gloves I don't even like having them in my shop so many accidents are caused by wearing gloves or loose clothing and long sleeves if a thread was to catch that spinning blade; bye bye. Tile saws aren't to terrible but still be safe with machinery and be prepared for the worse out comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ever controversial topic about gloves I don't even like having them in my shop so many accidents are caused by wearing gloves or loose clothing and long sleeves if a thread was to catch that spinning blade; bye bye. Tile saws aren't to terrible but still be safe with machinery and be prepared for the worse out comes.

I'm mostly with you on the gloves issue.  My rule is - if the blade can slice right through the gloves, there's no point in wearing them and they just slow you down and make you less safe.  On the other hand, if the power tool in question will give you a nasty burn or can be stopped by leather (i.e. an abrasive blade, cutting wheel on a grinder), then I'd rather have the gloves just in case. I've had a cutting wheel shatter at speed and bounce around.  If I hadn't been wearing gloves, I'd have had some severe lacerations on my fingers from the shrapnel.

Long hair, loose clothing, hanging threads - all of those should be banished / secured before you even pick up any power tool.  I saw a video of someone going through shop safety and the thing that stuck with me was - "what would happen if you lost your balance and fell - where would you hit and what would hit you."  In other words, don't lean over and across spinning blades and reach just a little bit farther just to get something done a bit faster.

I've laid probably 4,000 sq. ft. Of 12x12 tile with the Ridgid R4020 and I don't regret my purchase one bit.

It's a great little saw, makes good cuts, and cleans easy.

If you aren't tiling all the time, it stores super easy, all the accessories store on board, and it's a reservoir cooled saw so you don't have a pump to worry about.

It's not worth a shit for 16x16, but it's the perfect saw for the occasional tiler or DIY guy. It's honestly my favorite Ridgid product.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7-in-Job-Site-Wet-Tile-Saw-R4020/202518378

• Like 1

Thanks conductor I'm definitely gonna check this one out 2! I have to do our restroom and this one looks nice! I think this ones a winner Noob an the price is right in my opinion.

I'm thinkin' I'm in agreement.

Thanks for all the tips guys.