Cheaper By The Gallon

Seems like every time I use a chainsaw I have to run and get bar oil. While poking around online I found a gallon of the Husqvarna brand for $20.00 shipped. I typically pay around $7.00 locally, so I saved $8.00 and a couple trips to the store.

Then I found the 2 stroke oil for $38 a gallon. I typically pay $6 for the 12.8 oz bottle that makes 5 gallon. At 128 oz, I can make 50 gallons for $38. I saved myself $22 by buying in bulk.

I'll probably get 2 seasons out of the bar oil, and at least 3 out of the 2 stroke oil. Consider the gas I'd burn going to get it, and I figure it's saved me $50.

post-515-0-48265200-1435891949_thumb.jpg

I don't go through much 2 cycle mix. I think I still have like a little bottle of oil left that came with my husqvarna trimmer.

Thanks for the tip though, buying in bulk is usually cheaper and I never thought of buying two stroke oil in bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can also get glyphosate aka roundup concentrate cheap online too pretty much any of the lawn chemicals are cheaper online from what I have seen.

Yes there are a lot of post patent brands of Glyphosate/Roundup out you can get cheaper than the name brand.

Have any of you been running the canned premix 50:1 fuel like the trufuel? I have a couple cans I've been using in my handheld leaf blower, but haven't run much through to get any feel for long term.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Have any of you been running the canned premix 50:1 fuel like the trufuel? I have a couple cans I've been using in my handheld leaf blower, but haven't run much through to get any feel for long term.

Depending on your state and local supply, TruFuel is in theory, better for your smaller engines. The stuff at the pump can have a lot of Ethanol in it and unless your engine is designed for it, it can shorten the life. Or so I'm told. I run TruFuel. 50:1, 40:1 and straight in all my small equipment.

I like the idea of not having to add stabilizers over winter. We just moved and our new yard is about half the size of the old one so I don't burn fuel like I used to. I like that these last so much longer than buying 5 gallons of gas and wasting it if I don't use it all.

I got some Sherman Williams paint cheap for 12 dollars a gallon. I was pretty stoked about that paint is freaking expensive now!!

If you think house paint is expensive, you should try automotive spray paint. The paint for my grandpas corvette was $2000 a gallon from DuPont way back in 2000-2001. I would hate to price it now.

If you think house paint is expensive, you should try automotive spray paint. The paint for my grandpas corvette was $2000 a gallon from DuPont way back in 2000-2001. I would hate to price it now.

That is outrageous man. I never knew auto paint was that expensive.

That is outrageous man. I never knew auto paint was that expensive.

especially the burgundy and shades of red paints are really expensive luckily we have a transtar paint mixing set up at the shop so we mix our own paint Du pon paint is really good paint but know there's so much competition in the paint business out in our area and when u get into pearl color wooooo now that's super crazy expensive.

Luckily my local filling station offers ethanol free "recreational gas", but I still add Seafoam @ 1 oz. per gallon for good measure. There have been a lot of small engine fuel delivery problems attributed to ethanol, but like anything else, I think we're seeing that problem go away slowly as the manufacturers adjust their machines accordingly.

Luckily my local filling station offers ethanol free "recreational gas", but I still add Seafoam @ 1 oz. per gallon for good measure. There have been a lot of small engine fuel delivery problems attributed to ethanol, but like anything else, I think we're seeing that problem go away slowly as the manufacturers adjust their machines accordingly.

I haven't been able to find ethanol free fuel close enough to home to make it worth a trip for me. I have mainly been running the Echo fuel premixed with their red armor oil in the Shindaiwa and echo. They seem to run fine but are pretty new so I haven't had to open the engines yet to get a look at things and see how things are wearing.

If it aint broke, don't fix it, opening up the head could cause more problems then its worth. For example, usually once you pop the head of an engine off, you then need to replace the head gasket.

See if you lived around me I could keep you in business putting together the things I took apart! I have always like to take things apart and see how they work. Luckily I have gotten better at putting them back together...sometimes they even run!

• Like 1

I suspect Kruton knows what he's doing.

But you're right, those little gaskets tear easily. We have to put a new one on our racing quad every time we tear the carb down

Conductor you should talk to wife about that!

Yup bulk is the way to go I found that out a little late in life, I think I was paying $8 a quart from my Stihl dealer for bar oil. I buy my bar oil at Lowe's and its probably the only thing I buy from Lowe's..lol This is great to know about weedkiller, I've been on the fence about buying the HDX brand from HD can anyone recommend it. The weeds are growing wild and I'm fresh out of Roundup I buy the 2.5 gallon jugs so any help is very appreciated. 1 gallon Husqvarna Bar oil is $11.98 at Lowe's and 2.5 gallon concentrate HDX weedkiller is $69.97

• 2 weeks later...

Buying in bulk helps out a lot, I should do it more myself.

The only piece of yard equipment I own that's gas powered is my lawn mower itself. I don't have an ethanol free gas station close to me at all. What I do is always run high grade if I get it from the pump at the gas station. The other thing I do is run a bottle of trufuel through it every month or so hoping it helps clean some of that ethanol out of the system.

Buying in bulk helps out a lot, I should do it more myself.

The only piece of yard equipment I own that's gas powered is my lawn mower itself. I don't have an ethanol free gas station close to me at all. What I do is always run high grade if I get it from the pump at the gas station. The other thing I do is run a bottle of trufuel through it every month or so hoping it helps clean some of that ethanol out of the system.

If you can get recreational gas its the way to go