Flashlight

jbw55

• 2 weeks later...

For the last four or five years my everyday carry is a Fenix TK35. It's one of the older, non ultimate versions with around 800 lumens max output. I barely ever use that setting because it's too damn bright for indoor work. The contrast at that brightness and at close range (less than 30 feet) is painful and I find myself using the lowest two settings most often. The only times since I've owned it that I used the turbo setting was when I had to do trouble calls at night and was looking for damaged wires on poles or on the side of a house.

The main selling point of this model for me is that it's flat. It doesn't roll away if I set it up in a ceiling or on top of a wall or support beam. I've seen and tried other lights with flip-out wings for anti-roll but that just doesn't compare to a squared off body to begin with.

That is a cool light. Seems a little big to carry around walking the dog but most likely would be ok. Nice light Tool Junkie you will have fun with that one. Lets us know how you like it, I am supposed to get the Fenix TD-22 in the mail today. Looking forward to that.

I ordered the Nitecore EC4! Still waiting for it to arrive at my door, and when it does, you be assured that I will post pics as usual. :)

Skip to time index 3:30 to actually see the lights power being demonstrated in the video.

Looks like a nice light....I'm courious how the fit and finish of the die-cast is, also how well it does with the heat. Seems reasonably priced, I may order one too......Thanks for sharing. :)

Just got this one in the mail yesterday. It's a Fenix TK-22. Got a charger and two rechargeable batteries and two CR123's . I'll be ordering a couple of better Fenix rechargeable's this week. So far is seems great. Very bright light. More then I need to walk the dog. But, you can never have too many lumens  can you?

• Like 1

Nice tactical flashlight, you even got the tactical bezel on front. I've been told that the CR123 batteries don't last long on a charge though as opposed to the 18650 batteries, so I would be curious to know how long your flashlight runs on the high mode. And I agree, that should be plenty of lumens :)

They look like 18650s. You're right though, 16340/RCR123s are usually around 3Wh/ea and 18650s are up to 12.5Wh.

This one is high on the wish list.....its a power house, it will shoot a maximum beam distance of 5 1/2 football fields long.... this thing is badass :D

http://www.eagletac.com/html/mx30l3/index.html

attachicon.gifeagtac001.png

That might have to go on my wish list too! I have an SX25L3, and it's very bright. Generally well-built too, but I had a warranty issue. Pacific Tactical Solutions took good care of me and got the affected parts swapped out, it's working great now.

Favorite all around: Foursevens Quark Pro w/ Burst, close second Fenix PD35

Most carried: Fenix LD09, Foursevens Quark Pro w/ Burst

Most with me in the truck: Nitecore MH12

Most comfortable on a keychain:

Foursevens Atom A0

Bedside: Foursevens Quark123 w/ red filter

Best To attach to a ballcap: Thrunite Ti3

That might have to go on my wish list too! I have an SX25L3, and it's very bright. Generally well-built too, but I had a warranty issue. Pacific Tactical Solutions took good care of me and got the affected parts swapped out, it's working great now.

Almost bought SX25L.3 several times, I may still..... I did pull the trigger today on the MX30L3 woohoo :)

What an awesome post Electromage, you have an amazing collection of flashlights. It would take me many years to get to where you are, but I am not sure I want to have that many lol. I seem to be mostly impressed with the Nitecore's and Fenix lights, I think they are well made, and any flashlight using 18650 lithium's are well worth the money IMO. Some of your lights have interesting shapes, like that blue one for example, and there is even one of them that looks like it has an air connect for an compressor on the bottom of it lol. I don't think you have a Nitecore EC4 yet though ;) But you do have a Nitecore EC10 is it called? What I think is weird about these flashlight models is that often times you have a higher model number, yet the lights produces less lumens, doesn't make sense to me lol.

Nitecore has this hammer light that produces at least 2000 lumens and it runs on double a batteries, I am impressed, who knew you could produce so much power with dinky batteries such as double a's running 1.5v. Now of course their Tiny Monster line is their flagship models but to be honest, the price is just too high for 3500 lumens. And while the TM15 might be no bigger then a soda can, the TM36 is far larger, and you would definitely need a pouch to carry them, cause the only pocket that is going to fit a TM36 is going have to be a backpack lol.

Still impressive with the lumens and everything, but the same reason why you have more smaller flashlights, is because I think our thinking is along the same lines. Most of us don't need more then 1000 lumens, and I think its pretty awesome that we can get 1000 lumens even out of a single 18650 cell flashlight! The reason I ellected to go with a 2 cell though is due to runtime. If my Nitecore lasts 1.5 hours on turbo mode with a 2 - 2600MAH rated batteries, then a a single cell light with 2600MAH battery at 1000 lumens can't last longer then say 30 minutes right?

Electromage, out of all the flashlights you own, what brand would you say is your favorite and why? Be honest or I will flash you with my 1000 lumens of death power lol

It has taken me years! I sort of started around 2000, and took off when I joined CPF in 2005.

The blue one is a Hexbright Flex, it's got a programmable microcontroller, so it can be programmed through USB using the Arduino IDE. It has two lights in the tailcap red/green, accelerometer, and thermal sensor. It can be controlled using any of those sensors, which leads to some interesting things. Right now it's running a program that allows it to be controlled by holding down the button and rotating or tapping the body of the light to adjust the output or select strobe modes.

The small "air compressor" light is a Prometheus Beta-QR with NS finish (from Jason Hui/Dark Sucks). Both of those are from Kickstarters.

I don't have an EC4, and may never. I tend to buy lights that have certain features that apply to other lights, but not too much overlap. For instance, the Fenix TK35 has comparable body style, led, and reflector to the EC4, and the EC11 has a comparable button interface. The SRT7 has about the same beam, but different runtime and UI. This way I can predict pretty well how certain lights will work by looking at aspects of lights that I have or use. I can't buy ALL of them!

My TM11 wasn't very expensive, I paid $100.

Sorry, I'd rather not talk about favorite brands. Any company can make a good or bad product, and this changes over time. Same with cars, phones, power tools... SureFire is the brand that I own the most of, but I've been adding more Nitecore lately. My primary EDC lights have been Streamlight, SureFire, EagleTac, Sunwayman, and Nitecore. The modded JetBeam M2S lives on my nightstand, and my AR-15 has a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 in an Olight mount.

Favorite all around: Foursevens Quark Pro w/ Burst, close second Fenix PD35

Most carried: Fenix LD09, Foursevens Quark Pro w/ Burst

Most with me in the truck: Nitecore MH12

Most comfortable on a keychain:

Foursevens Atom A0

Bedside: Foursevens Quark123 w/ red filter

Best To attach to a ballcap: Thrunite Ti3

Very nice collection, I'm a fan of Foursevens stuff, I bought my first Fenix and Zebralight from David when he ran Fenix-Store.com. I liked the Maelstrom G5 so much I bought three! Also my Q Mini 123 is one of the limited run warm white, one of the nicest tints I have, similar to the Luxeon K2 TFFC.

How do you like the new style Preon?

... or if your working for the coast guard and need something that cuts through fog like its not even there lol.

For fog you really want yellow light. In parts of Europe cars are equipped with yellow headlights. I tried it here once using stage light gels headlights and the difference blew me away. I was doing 55 on a winding back road at night as though there was no fog at all. If you can get yourself some yellow gels, try it out on one of your brighter lights. You'll start laughing when you see what a difference it makes.

Very nice collection, I'm a fan of Foursevens stuff, I bought my first Fenix and Zebralight from David when he ran Fenix-Store.com. I liked the Maelstrom G5 so much I bought three! Also my Q Mini 123 is one of the limited run warm white, one of the nicest tints I have, similar to the Luxeon K2 TFFC.

How do you like the new style Preon?

I like the preon p2, the p1 is ok but needs a click switch.  I don't care for the penlight model (discontinued).

The Nitecore EC4 showed today.....Just a brief time with the lights, The Nitecore EC4 is well built, fits in the hand nicely and the fit and finish is well done. I also recently got the Streamlight HL3 which also is a great lite, with equal build quality. Both are close in output with the NC at 1000 and SL at 1100 lumens. The Nitecore throws a fairly white center, its white is crisp and clean but with a slight grayish over tone and as you move away from the center the grayish overtones become a little more dominate. The Streamlight throws white period, its over tones have more of a creamy color  (less contrast) and overall a more natural white, not quite a soft white though. Both lites are close in price in kit form, NC $65 and SL $80.....All in all both lights perform on the same playing field however my preference leans slightly to the Streamlight for its color, at least for now. I wouldn't hesitate owning either light and of course it comes dowm to a YMMV thing, all is good :)

post-51163-0-00149600-1443488487_thumb.j

• Like 1