Fein ASCM 18 QX - First week impressions

Peter Argyropoulos

This isn't going to be a review - not at first, anyway. I don't use my drill hard enough on a day to day basis to be able to really work a drill in every possible way during just one week. 

What this will be is some comments about my first impressions. 

First, some background. I owned a Fein 18V hammer drill about 8 years ago. I don't know whether it was made by them or another company to their specs, but it was a good drill. The downside was it's size and weight, and that was my main reason for getting rid of it and buying a Metabo BS 18 LXT, which is also a killer drill. 

The new Fein is a totally different animal. The case is a thing of beauty and operates more smoothly than any other case I've owned. The drill, charger and batteries exhibit a finish quality that I don't think I've ever seen in a power tool, including stuff from brands like Hilti and Festool. My instinct is that I don't want to get any of it near dirt of any kind... like I don't really want to take the tool on to a job site and soil it. It's not that it looks like it wouldn't hold up... just the opposite. It looks like it would deal fine with the Apocalypse. The case has a form fitting styrofoam-type insert that cocoons the drill, charger and batteries and I have total confidence that it will all be safe when I toss the case into the truck.

It performs differently than other drills, too. When you start it, regardless of chuck setting, the light comes on gradually. It doesn't come on full bright right away, but over a second or two grows in brightness till it settles in for work. The motor is extremely quiet and smooth sounding and also ramps up like the light does. Just from the way it runs I'm pretty sure the machining tolerances are really tight and the bearings and gears are probably high quality. There must be some sound deadening built in, because even at high speed it's quieter than any other drill I've used. I noticed when using a large hole saw that it seems to stop when the saw jams, saving your wrist. The instructions don't mention a safety clutch (Hall sensor overload protection or rotation detection), so I'm not sure that's what's at work, but it sure was nice not to have to wrestle it when it jammed.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll have a chance to try it out with my auger bits, step bits, HSS bits and carbide KO hole saws in different materials. For now, this tool and I are getting along nicely.

More to come...

This isn't going to be a review - not at first, anyway. I don't use my drill hard enough on a day to day basis to be able to really work a drill in every possible way during just one week.

What this will be is some comments about my first impressions.

First, some background. I owned a Fein 18V hammer drill about 8 years ago. I don't know whether it was made by them or another company to their specs, but it was a good drill. The downside was it's size and weight, and that was my main reason for getting rid of it and buying a Metabo BS 18 LXT, which is also a killer drill.

The new Fein is a totally different animal. The case is a thing of beauty and operates more smoothly than any other case I've owned. The drill, charger and batteries exhibit a finish quality that I don't think I've ever seen in a power tool, including stuff from brands like Hilti and Festool. My instinct is that I don't want to get any of it near dirt of any kind... like I don't really want to take the tool on to a job site and soil it. It's not that it looks like it wouldn't hold up... just the opposite. It looks like it would deal fine with the Apocalypse. The case has a form fitting styrofoam-type insert that cocoons the drill, charger and batteries and I have total confidence that it will all be safe when I toss the case into the truck.

It performs differently than other drills, too. When you start it, regardless of chuck setting, the light comes on gradually. It doesn't come on full bright right away, but over a second or two grows in brightness till it settles in for work. The motor is extremely quiet and smooth sounding and also ramps up like the light does. Just from the way it runs I'm pretty sure the machining tolerances are really tight and the bearings and gears are probably high quality. There must be some sound deadening built in, because even at high speed it's quieter than any other drill I've used. I noticed when using a large hole saw that it seems to stop when the saw jams, saving your wrist. The instructions don't mention a safety clutch (Hall sensor overload protection or rotation detection), so I'm not sure that's what's at work, but it sure was nice not to have to wrestle it when it jammed.

Hopefully over the next few weeks I'll have a chance to try it out with my auger bits, step bits, HSS bits and carbide KO hole saws in different materials. For now, this tool and I are getting along nicely.

More to come...

Sounds like an awesome drill man, enjoy that baby.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the update. The only Fein tool I have is the Multimaster and I will have to say it is a well made and designed tool as well. It was really hard to restrain myself from buying this drill. That price for a tool of this quality is crazy. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts further down the road.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I really do like the Fein drill. I would classify it as more of a bench top/work center type drill. Compared to the Gen2 Fuel size and weight wise I would rather carry the Fuel all day long compared to the weight of the and size of the Fein. I do like using the Fein as its a quality drill with nice balance.

I really do like the Fein drill. I would classify it as more of a bench top/work center type drill. Compared to the Gen2 Fuel size and weight wise I would rather carry the Fuel all day long compared to the weight of the and size of the Fein. I do like using the Fein as its a quality drill with nice balance.

I have pretty large hands (usually XL or XXL gloves) so it doesn't feel that big to me. I tend to forget that others have smaller hands and tools that seem right for me might not be for everyone.