Bosch IDH182 - puzzler

Peter Argyropoulos

I had a chance this week to use my new impact for drilling some old framing members with a 3/4" self-feed spade bit. I was drilling on high speed in a true 2-1/2x10 floor joist and came up against a knot. The tool started stalling out when I pressed it hard into the knot. I've never seen an impact do that - usually the anvil starts whacking and the motor should keep spinning at near full speed. It ultimately got through the joist alright, but that stalling left me puzzled. Could it be from using the 2.0 A/hr batteries? Could there be some other problem? An impact driver, by design, shouldn't start to stall when working.

Any thoughts?

@Petros, thanks for asking! I was using my IDH182 this week downstairs driving some screws and I had a similar issue. The motor was working but the impact stopped engaging. I've stalled out drills many times before but it was odd that the impact function stopped working while the drill was going. I assumed there might be a problem with my impact and have been monitoring it all week (doing a lot of work in my shop remodel!). I'm inclined to agree with the overload protection. I had my gun set to speed 1 then upped it to 3. I am using the 2.0 wireless batteries and when I jumped up to three the gun didn't do anything surprising. I was inclined at first to not believe the overload protection at first but after torquing up the power that is what seemed to pop up as a light bulb over my head. The reason I was confused was because every designed has a different model for overload protection. My Festool T18 immediately stops working an small chime sounds. It's like I just released the trigger, much different from my older Milwaukees and my current Bosch IDH182! The more I use this gun the more I like it! I will say my only real gripe is the chuck. I've had sockets get stuck almost every time I use it as a wrench. It's the spring on the end. I have to tap it with a piece of wood and it'll loosen up. Also, I have to use a impact rated bit holder with a long shank so it doesn't get stuck. Minor stuff that I'm willing to work with for such a power house with two real functions.....wrench AND driver.

Thanks for asking Petros!

• Like 1

So if it's overload protection, it has to be in the battery. An impact driver is designed to work against a non-moving target by nature. That's why there's no solid connection between the motor and the chuck. I had tried it already on my truck's lug nuts and it worked as expected even though they didn't move.

I'm thinking it might be time for a teardown of this tool to see how they finished the anvil. There's got to be some reason why it's not jumping when it should be.

It is a bit strange because overload protection would kick in when the motor speed goes down quickly --W amperage draw goes up.  But since the chuck isnt conntected to the motor directly in an impact driver it should just keep on rattling and spinning at full speed if you encounter something that won't budge.

It is a bit strange because overload protection would kick in when the motor speed goes down quickly --W amperage draw goes up.  But since the chuck isnt conntected to the motor directly in an impact driver it should just keep on rattling and spinning at full speed if you encounter something that won't budge.

Right, but again, an impact should be designed to NOT bog down so I'm not sure why this is an issue.

...brushes? 

Brushless