Manufacturers lineup can be overwhelming

hemdale

Hi guys,

I had a look at Metabo and Bosch's angle grinders. [emoji52]

Man, so many models and so many different features you can't understand what is doing what.

Acronyms get confusing, and funky logos get even more confusing.

Bosch has 20 models (size 125mm) to choose from including cordless models. Metabo has 37 models to choose from, and I'm not even counting the cordless models.

Madness.

Is it me or their current lineups could be easily cut in half without being too much of a concern ?

I would use retailer sites to do your research. The Bosch page probably has every weird variation they make for different industries. Most companies offer either a paddle switch or simple on/off switch now as some companies do no allow grinders without paddle switches for safety reasons on job sites.

For most companies you have four powers of small grinders, cordless, one around 7 amps, one about 10 amps, and one around 13 amps.  For each of those powers you typically have slide switch, paddle switch without lock, and paddle switch with lock.  On top of that, most grinders will have an older and newer model which brings us up to about 24 models.  Once you add on things like SJS, vibration reduction, variable speed, braking, quick change, and tuckpointing guards that can easily push it up to the numbers you found.

Instead of trying to look through every grinder, think about each decision individually.  Pick a disc size, power, and switch type, to narrow down the options, or just tell us what you plan to use a grinder for and we can recommend a couple in your price range.

• Like 1

For most companies you have four powers of small grinders, cordless, one around 7 amps, one about 10 amps, and one around 13 amps.  For each of those powers you typically have slide switch, paddle switch without lock, and paddle switch with lock.  On top of that, most grinders will have an older and newer model which brings us up to about 24 models.  Once you add on things like SJS, vibration reduction, variable speed, braking, quick change, and tuckpointing guards that can easily push it up to the numbers you found.

Instead of trying to look through every grinder, think about each decision individually.  Pick a disc size, power, and switch type, to narrow down the options, or just tell us what you plan to use a grinder for and we can recommend a couple in your price range.

Jeff worded way better than I could have. Compared to most other tools with grinders you have so many different options.

Ok so first thoughts. I would need:

125cm disc. Anti kick back feature and low vibration features.

Variable speed would be appreciable too.

Need to be able to have several handle positions too.

Need to try the paddle switch to find out whether I would like it.

As for brands, I'd rather stick to ( not in any particular order) Metabo, Bosch, Fein, Flex.

For masonry you want a slide switch and a lot of power otherwise you'll be sitting there a long time with cramped hands.  These four are good ones to consider.

Metabo WEPBA 17-125

Fein WSG 15-125

Makita GA5042 (GA5042CX1 comes with tuckpoint guard)

Bosch AG50-11vs (has variable speed but slightly less power)

Thanks for your input Jeff, very helpful indeed.

The Metabo WEPBA 17-125 looks awesome !

Tried to hold the Fein in my hand: too big and the plastic they are using is a bit slippery or at least, has a major lack of grip (to say the least). Kind of bad ergonomics for my taste.

Will try to have a look at Makita and at the Bosch too.

The Flex looks interesting as well:

http://flex-tools.com/gb/Produkte/Winkelschleifer/L_3406_VRG/index.php#

http://flex-tools.com/bild.php?pic=/RGB_Onlinedaten/Anwendungen/anw_l3406vrg_01.jpg

Ok so first thoughts. I would need:

125cm disc. Anti kick back feature and low vibration features.

Variable speed would be appreciable too.

Need to be able to have several handle positions too.

Need to try the paddle switch to find out whether I would like it.

As for brands, I'd rather stick to ( not in any particular order) Metabo, Bosch, Fein, Flex.

Lol, 125cm disk? XD

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk