What are your favorite chisels?

jeffmcmillan

I sound like a lazy bitch when I say this, but a router set. Then again, I am a lazy bitch. My favorite set of chisels is probably the four piece set I found on the side if the road a few months back... I don't know what they're made of or who made them, but they're great. You know, you could buy a cheap set and harden them in your shop- you could probably do it with a set of mapp torches and some fire bricks.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

Wilde makes some nice chisels,as does Mayhew. Those are the ones i have around the shop,I know there are others that are good(Proto,Wright) but I havent really used them.

Do you remember the brand of your missing set?       For Punches I use Starrett.

I love my Irwin Marple Chisels, the M750 series, since I can get to use a normal hammer. And becouse they look beautiful. 

But then again, they are rarely used. Most to square out some of the edges of the router.

Those arent cold chisels :)

Let's get this out of the way. Mayhew makes the best punches & chisels. Proto, Mac, and I believe even Matco have been rebranding Mayhew's for years. Wilde, Starrett, Enderes, and Dasco are all nice too. The Western Forge chisels sold as Craftsman and SK are decent, but they are not as hard as those previously mentioned and therefore not a top 5 in my mind.

Tekton's imported chisels are actually pretty nice.

For the money, there's no reason not to go with Mayhew though. They are superior and actually cheaper than some others on the list. Wilde would be my 2nd choice

• Like 2

I'm pretty inexperience in this area but I have a few Buck Brothers USA made chisels I like but a few months ago I bought the Stanley Bailey set made in Sheffield England. Really nice set of beginner chisels and hold an edge really well.

Thanks for the information guys.  I should have specified cold chisels in the title, now I have a sudden urge to get new wood chisels too.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the price of Mayhew chisels.  I was expecting to pay and arm and a leg for something good.  Plus it saves the trouble of trying to figure out the difference between Stanley, Stanley-Proto, Proto, and Proto-Blackhawk branded tools.

• Like 1

All I can say is I have a US made Dasco chisel I used during the Mother's Day flood when my foundation cracked. I had to widen up the cracks to fill with hydraulic cement. I spent two days doing that plus a,little work on a wall I built over the summer. Same chisel, large grip. Like the chisel

Thanks for the information guys. I should have specified cold chisels in the title, now I have a sudden urge to get new wood chisels too.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the price of Mayhew chisels. I was expecting to pay and arm and a leg for something good. Plus it saves the trouble of trying to figure out the difference between Stanley, Stanley-Proto, Proto, and Proto-Blackhawk branded tools.

Let me clarify it for you:

Proto and Stanley Proto are the same thing. Back in 1984 when Stanley acquired Proto from Ingersal Rand, Stanley was still a respected brand among both homeowners and certain professional circles. In the final years of IR ownership Proto sales were down after IR had pretty much put all their eggs in one basket (oil field business) and abandoned everything else.

Stanley, on the other hand, had launched it's own industrial tools line and it wasn't doing so hot. Stanley was just never taken seriously by the industrial sector. Proto was originally envisioned as a way to strengthen the Stanley industrial line and the Proto name was almost done away with. The Stanley Proto name was an attempt to both identity Proto as under new ownership and reaffirm Stanley's industrial presence. Over the years the Stanley association became less important and even a negative in some ways and has largely been dropped over the last couple of years.

Blackhawk is operated under the Proto division of SBD and is a more affordable alternative to the flagship Proto line. Some items such as sockets, wrenches, chisels, etc, are identical to Proto equivalents. Some items such as anything with a ratcheting mechanism, impact sockets, bit sockets, and screwdrivers are imported. Some European, but mostly Taiwan. No Chinese. Even the import Blackhawk is pretty good stuff though.

Stanley is just Chinese homeowner grade stuff anymore and not on par with either Proto or Blackhawk

• 3 weeks later...