50w led flood lights ~4000 lumen

NERemodeling

Makita, Milwaukee etc have been coming out with come pretty cool led flood light solutions and I have been very tempted to buy the Makita setup but the one thing with all of them is that lumen wise they aren't in the same league as a 250 or 500w halogen work light. Another thing is they are stupid expensive. Like 100-250 each depending on which unit!!

I got to looking around a bit and came across these fixtures on amazon. They are I tended for commercial lighting applications but I think by screwing a board to the bottom of the pivoting arm bracket it will function just like a work light. I will also either wire in a longer cord or just install a plug end on the short cord and always use them with an extension cord

I know they aren't cordless but I really don't think it's going to be too much of a problem.

At $35 dollars each it's like the brightest, cheapest Led work light you can get. I just ordered 2 and will let you guys know what I think know when I get them.

They also make them in higher and lower Wattage's

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JB12KHU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447311158&sr=8-1π=SY200_QL40&keywords=50w+led+flood+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41kX8%2BFO8JL&ref=plSrch

I don't know why the tool companies lights have to be that expensive $250 for the Milwaukee light is crazy. If it grew legs and walked away with a battery in it your looking at loosing over 300 bucks on a light!! They need to drop the prices some

Just a word of caution, cheap LED's can be way under of spec and/or dangerously wired with grounds just cut off in the case attached to nothing.  There are youtube videos showing that many of these multi-LED packages have diodes that don't output at the right voltage but its difficult to see them with them all being crammed together. Also they might sell them as 50w but include a driver that might only have a fraction of the 50w so they will never output the specified lumen. Who really tests these things? 

• Like 1

this kinda thing is some times a hit and a miss, I have bought cheap knock off things that were just crap and then have bought things that just worked perfectly for 1/5th the cost some times.....

Jerry, I guess I'm aware that they could be garbage but at the cost and having amazon to go back to in case of an issue I guess I'm cool with that gamble... these particular lights did have something like 60+ reviews with an average of 4+ stars I think.... hopefully they work out

I don't know why the tool companies lights have to be that expensive $250 for the Milwaukee light is crazy. If it grew legs and walked away with a battery in it your looking at loosing over 300 bucks on a light!! They need to drop the prices some

While that particular milwaukee light looks like it will be incredible brightness and feature wise it is just way to much damn money for a light!!

• Like 1

I would purchase an NER rebranded LED work light, just saying. It's a great idea John!

Thanks man!! I've had the idea for a while and just never pulled the trigger. Now that it's getting dark so early I'm thinking about job lights again and just went for it last night

Hopefully they work like I think they will, I'll update with pictures or video when they get here

Thanks man!! I've had the idea for a while and just never pulled the trigger. Now that it's getting dark so early I'm thinking about job lights again and just went for it last night

Hopefully they work like I think they will, I'll update with pictures or video when they get here

I'm with you, going to work it's dark and driving home it's dark, I need some light in between. Even though the price is steep I sprang for the Milwaukee m18 floodlight out of necessity. I had a job demoed out completely and needed to install the millwork before the sparkies had a chance to install the new lights. With no live outlets the battery was the way to go. I have 4 of these kitchens to remodel and only 4 weeks to do the work, getting it done is a crazy dance in itself let alone with no power.

Looking forward to a video!

Jerry, I guess I'm aware that they could be garbage but at the cost and having amazon to go back to in case of an issue I guess I'm cool with that gamble... these particular lights did have something like 60+ reviews with an average of 4+ stars I think.... hopefully they work out

Yeah just as long as you are aware there are some pitfalls you can get great deals, and Amazon is more likely to give you some recourse than ebay.

Yeah just as long as you are aware there are some pitfalls you can get great deals, and Amazon is more likely to give you some recourse than ebay.

Definitely. I really appreciate the heads up actually. I was unaware of any potential issues. Now I'll make sure to take a closer look.. I don't know how I'll measure the lumens or wattage but I guess as long as it's sufficiently bright based on my expectations I'll be happy.

Good looking out man

I'm with you, going to work it's dark and driving home it's dark, I need some light in between. Even though the price is steep I sprang for the Milwaukee m18 floodlight out of necessity. I had a job demoed out completely and needed to install the millwork before the sparkies had a chance to install the new lights. With no live outlets the battery was the way to go. I have 4 of these kitchens to remodel and only 4 weeks to do the work, getting it done is a crazy dance in itself let alone with no power.

Looking forward to a video!

Wow. That doesn't sound fun. The milwaukee floodlight has pretty decent specs acually... it's a nice looking light.. I have completely given up on halogen work lights.. they get way to hot and the bulbs are always burnt out.. I've been using several of makitas 12 led handheld flood pattern lights lxlm03. They are only around 250 lumens though so they just don't cast quite enough light unless it's super close to what your working on

Good luck with the work Git-r-done!

Definitely. I really appreciate the heads up actually. I was unaware of any potential issues. Now I'll make sure to take a closer look.. I don't know how I'll measure the lumens or wattage but I guess as long as it's sufficiently bright based on my expectations I'll be happy.

Good looking out man

You could measure how many watts used with a Killawatt thing or whatever they call them. It really doesn't matter if you are happy with the light output anyway. The advantage of a lower than spec driver is they won't get very hot, many people think LED's mean no heat but I've been using high powered LED fixtures in reef tanks for coral where they require fan cooling for 100's of Watts and they do get quite hot as they get driven hard. The only thing I'd worry about really with these cheep floods is that that ground is attached, especially if going to be used in a wet environment outdoors etc. I thought it was especially funny the one video that guy put up showing they hot glued the ground spade connector to the case, essentially insulating it from any contact whatsoever lol.

Maybe they have some fancy conductive hot glue I'm China that we don't know about yet.. Hahahahaha.

I will make sure to check the ground even though it probably won't be exposed to much weather..

Hey. If these aren't bright enough I can always return them buy the 100 rated ones which are around 50 or 60 bucks but would probably put out actual 50w

Just note that measuring the power it uses is not a very good measure of how much light you get.

One reason is that the efficiency of the LED is highly different. By a difference ratio of around 10, of what I have seen. I.e that some LED's can be as bad as 30 Lumens per watt, and others that can do over 300. The better LED's is usually around 100 Lumens per watt, and the cheaper ones around 50-60.

Secondly, and luckily, efficiency rises with lover voltage and current (LED diodes is anything but linear). Which means that if you use an 50W LED, and you use a LED driver that deliver 25W, you won't half the light output (Lumens). It would probably be more like a 25-30 % drop.

Ps: Though it would only work if it is a type of LED driver that doesn't shut down (or burn to a crisp) with overload, but has current limiting, meaning it will drop the voltage to lower the current, so it can deliver 25W, even though the load is normaly 50W. :) Either way, it is not very healty way of using cheap china quality. :P (fire potensial in the driver would be high)

Personally, I have nothing against some semi-cheap LED's. As long as it isn't notciable dimmer than it should be, and has a RA-index of at least 80, prefferable over 85. Anything less, and you risk that part of the spectrum gets very dim, and parts of what you work with would be much harder to see (even though it is "well litt". Also, the edges of the light shaft would be heavily coloured.

Another Note:

It's hard to compare lummens between LED and Halogen lights.

Halogeen Lights have a very 'filthy' yellow-isch light while LEd lights produce an more bright, white light.

If you let 10 people choose between a 500Wat halogen floodlight (  thats around 8000 / 8500 lumens mostly ) and a 50 Watt COB LED Light ( lumen output of around 4000 / 4500 )  --> 9 out of 10 people will prefer the LED light as a work light.

Yupp. For work, I think halogen is a big no-no.

So as work light, im using two 50W LED (4500k ish), and a 150W metal halide (HID) lamp. Both with around 75 lumens per watt.

After I replaced the halogen lamp, I've seen a couple of possitive reactions.

For one, I can actually use an 2 kW IR heater on the same breaker. Before I had too change between heat or power tools.

The light is by far superior, beeing closer to what light you get from the sun. :)

Also, with the halogen, the roof got dangerously hot (70 C). Though, the unit melted/burned after a couple of months.

But the HID lamp takes forever to start up, so the first minutes, the LEDs are the most important light source. But the HID lamp gives the most light per buck.

Only thing was that I had to replace the lamp that came with the unit, and replaced it with a better quality philips one. The original had an RA rating of 60 or something. And had a really green hue.

I got the 2 of them in Saturday and had a minute today to mess with them. I have to say, so far I am very very happy with the purchase..

The ground wire is indeed connected on both

They are insanely bright. Haven't measured the watts yet but honestly I don't know if I will. They are plenty bright for what I need.

post-49019-0-96047900-1447648340_thumb.j

post-49019-0-66953300-1447648367_thumb.j

post-49019-0-23914700-1447648393_thumb.j

post-49019-0-16121400-1447648415_thumb.j

post-49019-0-68055600-1447648440_thumb.j

• Like 1