Dewalt storage downfalls

Tom Colleran

Dewalt has come out with a lot of awesome storage ideas lately. However I feel like they suffer from a lack of a big picture. For staters their focus is split on tough system and tstak. They are both great products but you have to choose one or the other. Then there's the inserts, they are really only offered here in promo toughsystem combos. They should be offered for sale individually. European kits come packaged in tstaks or tough boxes. European Bosticth nailers come packaged in bostich branded tstak as called Bstaks. Would of been nice to see dewalts new nailers packaged the same.

Great to see the tough organizer and radio. How about a tstak radio? How about a tstak trim compressor and a tough system oiled compressor or even compressors that simply fit in the boxes? How about a simple dolly for the tough boxes, just like tstak has both? Those new stackable mechanics sets are great, but how did they not make the larger ones the same footprint as tstak, snap one to your other tool boxes and go? Why do they keep it a secret that there is a vacuum adapter to attach tstaks just like Bosch and festool do? Why is it an after thought with dewalt?

It just seems like they are almost there in so many ways but stop short of having an industry leading system.

Second what Ricky said, Bosch has a little, makita has a few, rigid has a nice stack but that's the majority, dewalt has a lot of options, but from a production you have to look at your maker as a whole. You have some great ideas that I would love to see but how many tstak compressors do you really think you could sell?

As for tough system a couple guys on here have done some really awesome things with their tough system radios in van racking, since this was your first post, explore around a little in return the dewalt section and you'll find some really good things a couple guys did with their tough systems.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I were a pro contractor type id probably use a dewalt system. I have a Ridgid stack I use around the house. I like Bosch containers and systainers for some of my stuff. Like the fellas above mentioned see what some of the other guys did with theirs.

As with any company its hard for them to just offer one type of thing. They are trying to please a multitude of various customers all with different likes. Cant please everyone,that would be nearly impossible. Everytime I go to HD I look at the Dewalt boxes,my son loves that new Dewalt radio stack.

What I like about DeWalt (I'm sure other big companies do it too) is their connection with contractors and tradesmen. I participate in their surveys and have had them visit jobs a few times to see how we operate and take our feedback to make their tools and systems as functional as possible. I'm sure the feedback just doesn't justify certain peoples' wish list as it doesn't work with the majority based on their research.

I think that Dewalt is slowly starting to get better with their offerings and hopefully they will start offering things like inserts in the future. I remember as of like a year or so ago they only had one kit offered in a tough system box, but when I was looking in HD the other day I saw three or four different kits packaged in tough system boxes.

The Tstak thing just seems like some sort of bone headed decision because they were worried it would cannibalize sales from the tough system, never mind that it could provide an incentive for users to move up into the tough systems as their needs grew.

As for the current offerings, you have to wonder how much of that is due to the North American market and the perceived return on their R&D investment (much like Ricky alluded to). If you look at Tanos (Systainers) and Sortimo (Bosch resells their LBoxxes here) they have whole racking and storage ecosystems that you just don't seem to see here in the US. I'm just a DIY guy, so I really couldn't tell you if the average contractor would see the investment as worthwhile.

I do understand the whole first post stigma. But aside from trying to customize my own workflow, looking through these forums is how I know there is a demand for some serious thought into the matter. When guys are hacking compressors and radios into their offerings dewalt engineers should take note. Also maybe their marketing department decides they can't sell enough to tstak compressors and that's okay. But that great new trim compressor they just came out with should be precisely designed to fit in a tstak deep box because it almost does already.

They need two offerings. I got rid of my tough system because of weight. They are way too heavy. An empty box shouldn't outweigh the tool you put in it. For me, Tstak made more sense for lugging around. But that comes at a price, durability.

Smaller, lightweight storage solutions have a place, just as the tough system does.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk