Changing Things Up - Wright Tools

Conductor562

As you guys know, I'm a pretty dedicated Proto user. The brand makes up probaly 70% or more of my hand tools and has always served me well.

Recently I needed some metric wrenches and a 1/2" SAE socket set to keep in my truck box and had a hankering for something different. It's not a result of any complaints or issues with the Proto family, it was simply a desire to do something a little different. I started searching the industrial brands and really didn't find much. I definitely wanted USA made. These tools will be rode hard and put up wet (sometimes literally), so quality was essential.

In both cases I found Wright Tool offerings that met my needs and budget and as a family owned company in Barberton, OH (just south of Cleveland), and a reputation for quality, they felt worthy of my support.

My first pickup was a used 1/2" set on eBay. The seller claimed "barely used" but the looked pretty rusted to me and the box was caked inside and out with what appeared to be rat poison. That told me these weren't his tools and were likely bought from a barn sale or something for fairly cheap. He asked $50 + $16 shipping. I emailed him after it hadn't sold and offered to pay the $50 if he'd drop the shipping. He accepted.

After a full cleaning job, a night in eveporust, and a cleaning/lube job on the ratchet, the set does look pretty rarely used. Just needed someone to love it I suppose. The set retails around $250, so $50 was a great deal once it cleaned up.

post-515-0-41831600-1449560916_thumb.jpe

post-515-0-90788200-1449560937_thumb.jpe

post-515-0-99492100-1449560951_thumb.jpe

• Like 2

Wright came to the rescue again on my wrenches. With Toolup now selling Wright, I was able to get a very well sized 18 piece metric set for $166 a set

post-515-0-23184900-1449562752_thumb.jpe.

post-515-0-54785900-1449562814_thumb.jpe

post-515-0-09776400-1449562852_thumb.jpe

They are flawless wrench with the exception of the length which was much shorter. They have both Wright Grip and Wright drive heads,

• Like 1

Thanks for posting CMan they look pretty nice! im in the process of  looking for more mechanic tools for the house I have dewalt mechanic tool set that I use for when im on the road covers 90% of what I need and some tekton but I really need more and im not trying not to spend what I spent on my tools at the shop I have snap on and matco and cornwell but I spent way to much on those.

Thanks for posting CMan they look pretty nice! im in the process of looking for more mechanic tools for the house I have dewalt mechanic tool set that I use for when im on the road covers 90% of what I need and some tekton but I really need more and im not trying not to spend what I spent on my tools at the shop I have snap on and matco and cornwell but I spent way to much on those.

The industrial brands are the way to go if weekly warranty service isn't essential. You can build a nice set for half or less than a truck brand set.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting CMan they look pretty nice! im in the process of  looking for more mechanic tools for the house I have dewalt mechanic tool set that I use for when im on the road covers 90% of what I need and some tekton but I really need more and im not trying not to spend what I spent on my tools at the shop I have snap on and matco and cornwell but I spent way to much on those.

Look into Armstrong and Proto. They not cheap but cheaper then snap on. Great quality as well.

I can't ever seem to find a deal on Armstrong for some reason

Man, I wish I knew you were looking for some Armstrong stuff. It wasn't wrenches but I found a great deal on an Armstrong 1/2" ratchet on Amazon Warehouse, it was around $20 "damaged packaging" of course it sold pretty quickly.