Be safe in 2016 Change out any old smoke detectors

DR99

I didn't even know recently that smoke detectors had a life span and how old the ones in my house were. They were from 1999 I didn't seem that long ago when I put them up. I think that's the problem you replace the batteries but forget how old the darn things are. Anyways this was on my local news and though it should be spread around to the TIA Crew.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayne-county/canton-man-warns-others-after-his-home-fills-with-smoke-without-his-smoke-detector-going-off

• Like 1

Its something that isn't really talked about besides replacing batteries. If you can afford it I would get the Nest Protects. I really like mine so far, and it wasn't so bad as my house is pretty small around 1000sq feet. I know they say you should have a smoke detector in every bedroom but I think its kind of excessive in a house this small. If have a monster 2,500 or more palace I can see why they have the rule.

Thanks for the heads up Jason! That's scary man, I just installed ours in about 4yrs ago and just recently put in a carbon monoxide/fire for our hallway and kitchen a few weeks ago but I've been really lagging on getting some fire and oil extinguishers for the house...

not only that but here they also passed a law for Carbon monoxide detectors as well in every sleeping room, our house is just over 1400Sq per floor, 1 up and main plus basement as our basement is finished. so ya huge cost......

You could tell the ones from the news report were old just from how they were assembled to how yellowed the plastic was on the covers. That reminds me I need to check if my fire extinguisher still has a charge. I really should get a good one the one I have is just a cheap First Alert squirt gun that runs out in no time.

That and AFI outlets are code now in sleeping rooms now too. There was just an article about how fast newer houses and furnishings catch fire. After seeing my next door neighbors garage catch fire I'm kinda paranoid about a house fire now. It's insane how fast a fire can grow if the conditions are right.

This is my bread and butter here, houses today flash over way faster than older houses due to the high quantity of synthetic building materials. Houses that are air tight get super heated causing flash overs in as little as five minutes where as older houses would take twenty minutes. It's very alarming that most houses today are fully involved before fire departments can arrive in seen. Where older houses would be a room and contents fire you see larger fire spread and much heavier damage in today's house fires. If your bored check out some studies that NIST has done, it will really make you guys think twice about the construction of your home. If you guys are interested I could post some information too.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 years old is a little ridiculous, time for some new ones and carbon monoxide detectors too. 

It's one of those things that you don't really think about especially with ones that are hard wired. You really don't have to do the battery changes like people used to do. The only reason I noticed how old mine were from painting this summer. I took them down to paint the ceiling.

This is my bread and butter here, houses today flash over way faster than older houses due to the high quantity of synthetic building materials. Houses that are air tight get super heated causing flash overs in as little as five minutes where as older houses would take twenty minutes. It's very alarming that most houses today are fully involved before fire departments can arrive in seen. Where older houses would be a room and contents fire you see larger fire spread and much heavier damage in today's house fires. If your bored check out some studies that NIST has done, it will really make you guys think twice about the construction of your home. If you guys are interested I could post some information too.

Jimbo

With new home construction I think a home sprinkler system should be standard. The costs have really come down from what they were. The only thing is people care more about square footage than safety.

With new home construction I think a home sprinkler system should be standard. The costs have really come down from what they were. The only thing is people care more about square footage than safety.

I believe the newest building code in new residential construction requires home sprinkler systems however most states take 5-10 years to adopt a newer code. Park forest, IL requires home sprinkler systems in new residential construction.

Jimbo

I outfitted my house with Homefront brand smoke detectors. Crazy expensive and I think you can only buy them from certain reps but really good quality, comes with lifetime warranty that is transferable if I ever move houses I can take 'em with me.

Been really looking into the residential sprinkler offering from Uponor and guess I'll pass along this link because they have some awesome stuff out there perfect for my work.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/Blog/2015/October/Have-to-Meet-the-Fire-Sprinkler-Mandate-Heres-your-Solution.aspx

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Not sure if all smoke detectors are like ours, but the ones we have start beeping every few minutes EVEN after changing the battery.  After doing a little research, I found the ones in our house we the original ones that were installed when the house was built in 2003. 

EDIT - Forgot to mention that ours are hardwired, and also require a battery

We bought our house two years ago now and it does have sprinkler system installed standard. I guess it's a nice feature to have but I always worry about it going off when it shouldn't. I think all new homes have to have these installed. In California anyway. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed for sure if you don't have them in an older house. We have an older house in Rialto Ca that is used for a business and I put a couple of carbon monoxide detectors in the house that have a digital readout and sit on a table. I came by one day and saw the batteries were taken out and sitting next to them. I asked the girl on duty why that was and she said " The alarm kept going off and I didn't know why" "And I couldn't stop it"  What? Of course the alarm was going off because the heater vent was clogged and the detector was doing it's job.  Needless to say I had a long talk with this "former" employee.