What tools do you use that have stood the test of time?

PutnamEco

I tend to be a little scattered as to what ratchet I use on any one day, but I mainly use just my Snap On mid-length 3/8" drive sockets. They are 12 point (gasp!) buy they've never let me down and never rounded any fasteners.

Also, I have used a lot of Estwing hammers at work. Mostly 28oz. framing hammers and the small sledges. I have one 2lb. drilling hammer that I carried, either in the back pocket of my survey vest or in a lath bag, for probably 300 miles while staking a power line in San Diego and Imperial Counties.

Cool!  I think this thread will probably end showing that the longest lasting tools are the most basic and simplest of hand tools.

In the decades before most of us roamed this planet the theory was, make it once - make it right - make it to last - we don't want to spend the time to have to make it again.

I would have to say this is the oldest set of tools that I own. They were given to me by our neighbor. He had a small machine shop in his garage and I would hang out and watch him work on things, I was about 6 I just love to watch him work. I remember asking him one day why he and his wife had those numbers tattooed on their arm. His answer was when I lived in Poland then gave it to us so we could remember where they lived. I was about 9 when I found out what those numbers where all about. He passed away when I was about 10 and in those 4 years, he showed me many things. I use these a lot to layout and to scribe.

layout_zpsf1d4e33c.jpg

• Like 2

I had a similar situation with a neighbor would watch him do things around in his garage. I was a child of a single parent so I didn't have a father figure in my life. One of my biggest regrets was not going to his funeral. I just didn't want my last thoughts of him were laying in a casket. That's why I prefer a memorial service personally.

Regopit:

Looks like you've got a pretty fine and nearly complete set of K&E drafting pens and compasses. All that appears to be missing is the lead tube. I have a set of them around somewhere but haven't used them in years. They represent another skill (Drafting) now sadly deceased and long since replaced, first by AutoCAD, and more recently by Google's Sketchup.

The square looks like it's seen better days but it's gotta' be s great reminder of their source and those times.

Just out of curiosity, what does 'regopit' mean?

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, what does 'regopit' mean?

Back in the early days before the internet was the big thing I would go to different bulletin boards. Every time I would try to sign on every name I would try to use would be taken. Therefore, I had to come up with a unique name. When I worked for the utility, we had a pit that had about 6 different pipe runs going through it and each run had a valve to control the flow. The valves where made by a company called REGO so we called it the regopit. Therefore, every time I would sign up I would get right in on the first try so I stuck with that name.

Now you’re sorry you asked 

• Like 1

I have a Cox caulk gun that is at least 15 years old. Still works perfectly But my oldest tools are hammers and chisels and squares from an old great uncle They are probably close to 100 years old. Still use the tri square in my shop often

My oldest power tool is a Bosch jigsaw that is close to 20 years old but don't use it much

I just happened to remember that I do have an old Black & Decker Model 7510 Jig Saw. It was given to me by an uncle (now deceased) sometime in the early 70's, I believe - which means it is at least 40 years old. I don't believe it to be older than 1970. B&D's model numbers changed that year. The previous model number for this saw was U153. It is a single speed, 2.4 amp., 1/7 hp unit with a gray metal case and a mostly orange label.

An old ad I found online advertised this tool for $12.88. From that ad, and finding another model 7510 jig saw on eBay, I learned this saw originally came in a hinged plastic case with a set of 6 blades. Mine was bare when I got it. And, despite the fact that I have owned a newer jig saw for quite some time, I still use this older one quite a bit. I just dust all the sawdust off after each use, and give it a couple drops of 3in1 now and then. Guess I should check the brushes huh?

I just found the two page manual and a parts drawing (PDF files) online and downloaded them.

We lived in a house my great grandfather built around 1895. I just got some tools when my uncle passed that I remember using as a kid in that house. We moved out in 1975 but I sure the tools were already old then Probably at least 60-70 years old. Screwdrivers and files and a few other items My great grandfather was a blacksmith but I never got any of those tools

• 1 month later...

Update!  My B&D model 7510 jigsaw (circa 1970s) brushes look like new.

Good thing 'cause they are no longer available.

Anybody have a spare set of round brushes for a B&D 751 jigsaw? I don't really need them at the moment but the ones in it are so old and probably brittle and may disintegrate the next time the jigsaw is used. 

• 3 months later...

An update on that old B&D model 7510 jigsaw I have.

At the best tool specialty store in Reno (Apex Saw) I tried to see if I could get replacement brushes - just in case. They are no longer available, which was not all that surprising, but checking the ones in the saw (probably original parts) I was surprised to learn that they are actually round and not square (or rectangular) as most modern brush sets are. Fortunately, when I pulled out the old ones to look them over, it appears they still have a few hundred thousands revolutions remaining.