Dewalt, makita, or rigid compact router?

jswoger1986

having 5 different routers for all different reasons I have to say getting a set with fixed and plunge is not actually needed, you can pretty much do everything with either base. not saying having both is not good just saying you can get by without it too....

Agreed, I have four. Two fixed, two plunge. My Bosch 1617 has a fixed base but I use that in my little Bosch router table

Love that machine. Great router.

How do you like the Bosch router table? It generally gets good reviews, but I've seen enough annoyed people to give me pause. Any suggested modifications you'd do our is it great just add is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you like the Bosch router table? It generally gets good reviews, but I've seen enough annoyed people to give me pause. Any suggested modifications you'd do our is it great just add is?

@kdv I actually like the table a lot. I bought the one with the aluminum table and insert. It has a hex key to raise and lower the motor unit and the fence and feather boards are really solid. Comes with some shims for jointing boards but I don't use them. I think at some point in a few years I might upgrade to a larger table with a Jessem lift or something but for the money it's a great table. Nice solid work surface. The legs are really beefy with the aluminum top making a really solid table that doesn't flex. When I put the table together I was really surprised at how solid it is. I've got a couple of friends that use these out in the field and they like the table quite a bit. I won't upgrade any time in the immediate future but when I move my shop and add a good DC unit the router table might be getting replaced so I can get a really solid lift and a bigger work surface. I highly recommend the unit though.

I have had the Bosch colt and the Makita. Makita hands down feels better In The hands more versatile when you purchase the kit all round router. Don't know much about the dewalt

was it just the ergos you liked better? i was looking pretty hard at the makita palm router when they had the $25 off purchase. 

I know this response is going to be a little bit of a let down.  

I have both the Bosch and the DeWalt palm routers.  I have the DeWalt on my X-Carve as well, (per Dan's suggestion).  I started off with the Bosch Colt and have used it for at least 4 years now.  I love that unit. 

I didn't think anything could top that Bosch unit.  The DeWalt does everything the Colt does and just as well.  The biggest difference for me is the added niceties the DeWalt has.  The plexi-glass type base and LED light are nice features not found on the Bosch.  Both units have plunge base options, so a push here.  I prefer the bit changing on the Bosch better than the push button option on the dewalt.  It sounds backwards, but if your button fails to hold on your DeWalt, you are up the creek.

I can't say if I would pay extra for the DeWalt options, but either way you go, you can't go wrong.

Now, I haven't tried the Ridgid router, but I know someone who has it and he loves it.  So, I wouldn't hesitate on that one either.  

Sorry this wasn't very helpful.

• Like 1

I know this response is going to be a little bit of a let down.

I have both the Bosch and the DeWalt palm routers. I have the DeWalt on my X-Carve as well, (per Dan's suggestion). I started off with the Bosch Colt and have used it for at least 4 years now. I love that unit.

I didn't think anything could top that Bosch unit. The DeWalt does everything the Colt does and just as well. The biggest difference for me is the added niceties the DeWalt has. The plexi-glass type base and LED light are nice features not found on the Bosch. Both units have plunge base options, so a push here. I prefer the bit changing on the Bosch better than the push button option on the dewalt. It sounds backwards, but if your button fails to hold on your DeWalt, you are up the creek.

I can't say if I would pay extra for the DeWalt options, but either way you go, you can't go wrong.

Now, I haven't tried the Ridgid router, but I know someone who has it and he loves it. So, I wouldn't hesitate on that one either.

Sorry this wasn't very helpful.

My Bosch colt came with a plexiglass base I think they updated the newer ones.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk