Valentine's Day Project....

comp56

well it is valentine's day tomorrow and I figure I'd whip up a little gift for the misses.....she likes hummingbirds and candles so this will fit the bill quite well.

red oak with hand a carved hummingbird with dark walnut candle ring finished with danish oil and rubbed wax.......

the candle is about 4" dia and are crackling type, I bought about 8 dozen of these candles at a closing out sale awhile ago so they will come in handy for this and future projects......the candle can be replaced with a new one by sliding it out from the top........

1_30.jpg

• Like 7

Awesome! Love anything red oak, also I'm jealous of your ability to free hand a bird like that...

How does it hang on the wall, did you have to find the center of gravity because of the candle being offset like that?

thanks guys............

Knarlycarl, I put a slightly raised copper plate on the back that runs along near top so a hook/screw can be slide to make it stay straight. So ya it can hang off set if need be......

as for the free hand craving, I did a lot of acrylic carving years ago, I couldn't make a straight line if it was there already when I first started but after time I realized how to apply the right pressure and in what direction.  

• Like 1