New digging tools from New Zealand

Darren

What a smart and simple tool and it works too we chopped tree roots and hard ground with no jarring any one else seen anything like it? www.terraxtool.com

Oooh I have, we call them digging bars there are literally hundreds of them available. I will say a couple of things though, that nice fat handle might be more comfortable for those of us with bigger hands to use, than the commonly skinny digging bars. What caught my attention was the accessory tamper, that alone might sell well, although most like myself will probably prefer just to use the tamper built onto a digging bars end.

I wonder if any one else seems to think that looks like someone took a wood splitting wedge and welded it to a pipe?

I love a well designed tool, and that looks like it would do the job well. But when a company makes a video like that and doesn't provide realistic comparisons, it turns me off to their product. I mean, does anyone really try to dig postholes with a squared off shovel? If they're going to make a video, compare it to someone with a manual set of post hole diggers. The lame comparison turned a decent video into an annoying video.

• Like 1

I love a well designed tool, and that looks like it would do the job well. But when a company makes a video like that and doesn't provide realistic comparisons, it turns me off to their product. I mean, does anyone really try to dig postholes with a squared off shovel? If they're going to make a video, compare it to someone with a manual set of post hole diggers. The lame comparison turned a decent video into an annoying video.

I was thinking if they could beat a power auger then maybe they would have something. I think I could have given them a run for their money with a Boston digger if it was compacted soil, roots or debris they where worried about, If I was to choose a shovel for post holes I certainly would not have chosen one like they did, there is a style of shovel called a spoon, that would work much better in this application, they are however better for larger 12"+ holes. I have seen smaller spoons. I hope you tool junkies also know about split handle post hole diggers as well.

• 10 years later...
On 7/10/2012 at 9:26 PM, PutnamEco said:

Oooh I have, we call them digging bars there are literally hundreds of them available. I will say a couple of things though, that nice fat handle might be more comfortable for those of us with bigger hands to use, than the commonly skinny digging bars. What caught my attention was the accessory tamper, that alone might sell well, although most like myself will probably prefer just to use the tamper built onto a digging bars end.

I wonder if any one else seems to think that looks like someone took a wood splitting wedge and welded it to a pipe?

power tools for digging soil

I need to dig around 15 new holes for concrete posts. I also need to dig out about the same and so I need to buy some gear to do it with. I've been looking on youtube for ideas but not seen much apart from a post digger with two poles on it that doesn't seem too efficient. For the digging of the holes, am I better of with a narrow tapering spade? The earth is dense and soild with bricks, rocks and coal as well as clay in places And for removing the old posts, is there a recommended way to go about it or just dig a big hole round them and push them over? Thanks once again :)