How do I repair this?

figureitout

I do a little locksmith work on the side, and had a little problem tonight that I don't quite know how to fix. Using a method I've used hundreds of times before without problems, I did this:dd0e71a13e5c2ae09c4bcd7edf68086e.jpg21c327cb1574e9bb50aa248a262cee4c.jpg42f82de635fdeadbf2187c4de06862ea.jpg

It's a customers home which is soon to be on the market so I need to make it flawless or nearly so, but I'm really hoping I don't have to re-trim and paint the whole doorway, partially because I'm not confident I can do it well.

So what would you guys do in this situation? Any way to make it look good without a huge expense of time and money?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Figure it out dude lol

Well maybe what might work is remove the strike plate, remove the trim piece, apply glue in the crack with a syringe, screw skinny long screws in the jamb to bring the crack together, let glue dry, drill holes where plate screws needs to go, use long screws in the plate to go into the wall studs so you're not using the jamb to screw to, reinstall the trim. Maybe just maybe that will work decently

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Figure it out dude lol

Well maybe what might work is remove the strike plate, remove the trim piece, apply glue in the crack with a syringe, screw skinny long screws in the jamb to bring the crack together, let glue dry, drill holes where plate screws needs to go, use long screws in the plate to go into the wall studs so you're not using the jamb to screw to, reinstall the trim. Maybe just maybe that will work decently

Try bondo for wood

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would remove the trim, cut out 1" above and below crack replace with new wood, (glue and screw) paint to match cut out plate holes put trim back on. pocket holes and screws are your friend they will be hidden with the trim

• Like 3

I had something similar happen to me a few years back when I was carrying something heavy. I meant to knock on our garage door with my knee, and well... I'm not very coordinated and sorta kicked in the door, splitting the whole length of the jamb completely off. I was like 10 at the time and just quickly ran large finish nails perpindicular to the fracture before my dad got home. They weren't even screws and they are still holding 8 years later. So I would go with KnarlyCarl's idea as the best course of action.

7 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

I had something similar happen to me a few years back when I was carrying something heavy. I meant to knock on our garage door with my knee, and well... I'm not very coordinated and sorta kicked in the door, splitting the whole length of the jamb completely off. I was like 10 at the time and just quickly ran large finish nails perpindicular to the fracture before my dad got home. They weren't even screws and they are still holding 8 years later. So I would go with KnarlyCarl's idea as the best course of action.

there is a cosmetic fix or a strength fix and a proper fix

there is a cosmetic fix or a strength fix and a proper fix

And in my case it was a try to save my a** from getting chewed out fix [emoji1]. In all seriousness you guys probably shouldn't listen to my advice. Comp knows his stuff better than me and most.

I would remove the trim, cut out 1" above and below crack replace with new wood, (glue and screw) paint to match cut out plate holes put trim back on. pocket holes and screws are your friend they will be hidden with the trim

I second this! I was wasting time typing up that post, and I think you will too if you follow it.

When I bought my house, not one single door closed properly, interior and exterior. I replaced the back door because it was rotting out because previous owner thought he was a carpenter and didn't seal it up right. Then I had to recess the latch bolt on front door because they just surface mounted it (idiots)

Remove trim on all interior doors, square and secure and make close properly, then reinstall the trim, I shake my fist at you, corner-cutting previous owner. Walls aren't level, floors squeak, furnace wasn't vented to outdoors (seriously do you want to die!?) no house wrap when they put new siding, missing insulation so the water lines froze and burst, stairs so unsupported it could've doubled as trampoline, and on and on.

Last I heard he skipped town and is in Texas.....

Enough of that, i hope you get the door fixed nicely, please don't shortcut it, I was just rattling off a crazy idea

• Like 1

12 hours ago, comp56 said:

This is what I was pretty much going to say. I've had to do it at home before.

If you really don't care and just want it done for their sale and have it break after a year of door slamming, you could probably fill it...but you might blow it out when you put screws in it unless you're really careful. Also you have to sand it smooth and clean up all that dust...It's just not that much more work to replace with wood and it's the proper fix. Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Wow guys thank you. For some reason I didn't get a notification about any responses and didn't think to check, so I went it alone.

Now, I work in automotive so be easy on me. I pulled the strike plates and weather strip, and carefully opened up the crack enough to force in some liquid nails, clamped it and let it dry a bit. Then I screwed it down with countersunk wood screws and filled the holes in with a product I had laying around that goes on pink, and dries white, if you know the product I'm talking about.

Then I calked between the moulding and door jamb and cleaned it all up. I left for a couple hours, came back and sanded it with my OMT. Then I taped off the moulding and the spot where the weather strip was and brushed on some semi gloss paint+primer.

I put the strike plates back on with 3.5" screws to get all the way back to solid wood.

Honestly I think if I'd done a lot better it would have stood out, being an older house. I was pretty confident with five screws in the fracture it won't be coming off anytime soon. I was pleased and the customer was more than satisfied.05749512b0af9ba1134122bb86fed596.jpg8a5d057206c0f1441b99960074ec9cd2.jpgI know that strike plate looks a little off, that's how it landed using the original holes to start, and I couldn't get new holes started without feeling like I was gonna tear up the wood too much.

• Like 1

Figure it out dude lol

Man do I regret that moniker every time I ask a question on a forum. It's a reminder to myself to see a project through to my desired result, even when I hit a wall and don't know how to proceed,no matter how frustrated I may get. I'm afraid the name comes across as arrogant.

A couple of questions on this for my own knowledge in the future. How would one cut that piece out of the jamb with a straight enough cut to fit a new piece in nicely? I don't see a recip. or OMT working well.

Second, once you fit a new piece in well, how would one hide the transition?

know that strike plate looks a little off, that's how it landed using the original holes to start, and I couldn't get new holes started without feeling like I was gonna tear up the wood too much.

That's a problem when trying to reposition the plate after someone doesn't put it in right (that's how they left them in my house)

Any solution?

It's a crapshoot no matter how you look at it. It has worked to drill holes where new screws go, put longer screws in to grab the wood behind, and triple check your measurements.

It's a crapshoot no matter how you look at it. It has worked to drill holes where new screws go, put longer screws in to grab the wood behind, and triple check your measurements.

That's a bitch when your new hole center needs to be right at old hole's edge, ha ha. Hence the crapshoot.

true that, replacing door jam would be the way I would want it done, regardless of price especially if I was going to be the new home owner. If I was the seller own up to the damage and be done with it, just shows the character of the said seller by doing things on the cheap..what else has been compromised to save a buck.........in the area I live in houses are selling  between $375k to $575k  a couple hundred dollars not going to break the budget......

as far as cutting out old piece, good old eye hand coordination with a good chisel........

• Like 1