Rockler Router Table Storage Build

tugnut1

I bought a full Rockler Router Table setup just over a  year ago.  Since the day it showed up, I wanted to fill in the area under the table with usable storage.  I found a youtube video of a guy doing this with his Kreg setup, but nothing on the Rockler unit.  So, I based my build on the Kreg video.

8.jpg9.jpg7.jpg6.jpg

I had to work through some issues, but I think I am on the right track.  I still need to add two drawers, drawer faces for the bit storage slide outs, a door for the router cubie, a dust shoot to hook the shop vac up to and run the cord.  I'll share more pics when I get some more progress done.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Feel privileged to see it come together on periscope a little while I had some spare time, great idea!

Do you have to lock the casters when pushing wood through the router table?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes, I do need to lock the casters when running wood through it.  

Hopefully the periscope event wasn't too boring.

I got some time today to work on the router table setup between going to work and having a sewer service come over and clean out my main drain in the house (yuk).

I was able to get all of the drawers and doors mounted.  I'm not thrilled with the bit holder drawers, but they are functional.  I still need to attach the dust collection port on the back side and run the power cord from the big paddle switch to the router, but other than that, it is done.  I need to decide what size dust collection port to put in the back and look into connecting that to the fence dust shoot.  Should be simple, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may notice I used some plexiglass in the router box door.  I didn't realize it was going to be that small when I started out or I might not have gone through the effort.  Pretty funny.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

I got some time today to work on the router table setup between going to work and having a sewer service come over and clean out my main drain in the house (yuk).

I was able to get all of the drawers and doors mounted.  I'm not thrilled with the bit holder drawers, but they are functional.  I still need to attach the dust collection port on the back side and run the power cord from the big paddle switch to the router, but other than that, it is done.  I need to decide what size dust collection port to put in the back and look into connecting that to the fence dust shoot.  Should be simple, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You may notice I used some plexiglass in the router box door.  I didn't realize it was going to be that small when I started out or I might not have gone through the effort.  Pretty funny.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Awesome job John! Has that kind of Norm look and I'm curious why you don't like the bit storage. It looks awesome to me. Great and inspirational work dude!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Awesome job John! Has that kind of Norm look and I'm curious why you don't like the bit storage. It looks awesome to me. Great and inspirational work dude!

Thanks ChrisK.  I'm not thrilled with the bit storage because of the big paddle switch on the right.  I didn't realize that it hangs over inside of the frame until after I started building the unit (overlook).  So, the right side bit storage doesn't cover the plywood frame.  Also, I was concerned about how far apart I placed all of the bit holder holes.  But after I looked at it and thought about it last night, I figured if I ever want to change it up, I can just put a piece on top of the shelf and redrill holes because there is enough room to add height.  

Over all, I'm really pleased with it.

My next concern is plugging the router to the front switch and I think I have a solution for that.  I have to take a closer look, but if I can add a different cord to the switch, I will run that to a duplex that will live in the router box and then just plug the router into that.  That way I can get rid of that stiff cord, tuck the cord out of sight and make it easy to change routers if I need to in the future.

• Like 1

Today I tackled the switch situation that I wasn't happy with.  The large safety on/off switch had two very stiff and short cords on it that made connecting to the router and outlets more difficult than it should be.  

I went to the local Ace Hardware and bought some really nice power cord that I use on most of my tools when I switch them out.  I bought 20 feet of it, which gives me about 16 feet of cord that I can use to use my table wherever I want to in the shop.  Much better than the 4 foot section that came with the switch.

The bottom of the switch where the cables drop out have some Strain Relief Bushings to hold the cord to the box.  These are a bugger to get out of the box.  Once they are secured, they are there to stay.  I found a really good way to remove the cord and save the bushing.  I cut the cord real close to the bushing and then used a drill bit to drill out the wires.  After they are gone, you can open the bit right back up.  I did find some replacement bushings at the store just in case my idea didn't work.

1a.jpg

You can see by this picture that I have one cord replaced.  The duller finished one is the replacement (on top) and is much more flexible.

2a.jpg

In order to run the cord from the switch to the router, I drilled a hole in the frame (not big enough for the bushing-damn!, mistake) and then ran it in the space between the table top and the top of the cabinet and down into the router box.  

3a.jpg

I wired a duplex in the box and plugged the router into that.

4a.jpg

The last thing I had to do was run a power cord from the switch box and then hang it from the recessed section on the side of the cabinet.  

5a.jpg

Whenever I get into a wiring project, I always seem to have my bench cluttered with stuff when I am done.

6a.jpg

The last thing to do is attach a dust shoot out the back of the router box, but that will have to wait until next weekend.

• Like 3

That's pretty good thinking with the outlet, you can even run dust extraction off that.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about putting a light in there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I went to Saginaw today to buy some materials to connect my router table setup to my future dust collection setup.  Buying the items for dust collection drives me nuts.  I wish they would make this stuff the same as PVC and make it easy on all of us.

I actually bought three or 4 more parts that I don't need because I changed my design as soon as I got home.  The original plans were to have a 90 degree sweep coming off of the cabinet and then run the dual hookup horizontally.  I didn't like this option because it requires a coupling and with the 90 degree sweep, it hangs out way to far of the back of the cabinet.  After a quick google search, I found one example where they used a short section of 4 inch hose to connect the two pieces.  Of course I didn't buy any 4 inch dust hose while at Woodcraft.  So, I ordered some on Amazon.

Here is what I have so far.

20160406_172221  asdfasdfasdf.jpg20160406_172229 asdfasdfasdfasdf.jpg

• Like 3