EGO FTW

JMG

Last year, I was experiencing some difficulty with mobility due to my disabilities acting up and wasn't getting outside to mow the lawn on a regular basis. My then new neighbor, who was renting the house next door, noticed and started cutting my yard. Wow, renters are generally not that nice. I offered to pay him for doing it and he refused, so I insisted that I pay him for gas and he grudgingly accepted twenty dollars and then stated he planned on cutting my grass for the rest of the year... He did so, and as I began to be able to move around more I started doing the edging whenever I noticed him out cutting grass. Made a good team. While it only take five to ten minutes to cut my grass on this postage stamp size yard, it was really something to have someone that was willing to volunteer a service without expecting any return.

So, at the end of the season, I gave him my Honda powered gas push mower that I had used for a little over a year, the previous season, as a way of thanking him for watching out for the yard. It was also a good excuse to unhorse one more gas powered item from the arsenal, with the thought of eventually replacing it with battery power. Well as renters go, he moved on to greener pastures this spring, and I needed to find a new mower, so off to Home Depot we go, to find the last of the old model EGO mowers for $374 minus ten percent military discount. Thank-you for honoring the discount Home Depot. I have heard that some of the stores don't, but with the large vet population in this area, I am sure that there would be some small backlash if they didn't, but thanks all the same.

IMG_0184.JPG

I have to say that this tool works as advertised. I charged the battery and ran it through wet grass and find it to be quiet, with plenty of power for what I need it for, and only used about ten minutes of battery charge time, for a similar amount of cut time. I wanted to purchase one of the new models, but the price point on this years model is absurd, in my opinion. Made this one so much more of a deal.

• Like 5

Congrats on the new mower.  I've had mine for over two years now and I love it.  I'm with you on the price of the new self propelled units.  I've seen them first hand at an outdoor show and they are fantastic, but I wouldn't want to pay much more than what you did for it.

2 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

Congrats on the new mower.  I've had mine for over two years now and I love it.  I'm with you on the price of the new self propelled units.  I've seen them first hand at an outdoor show and they are fantastic, but I wouldn't want to pay much more than what you did for it.

John I remember watching your review on that mower.  I did not know you were still using it.  Is the battery still doing great after 2 years.  I always hear people asking what the battery life span is.

2 minutes ago, rfwjr said:

John I remember watching your review on that mower.  I did not know you were still using it.  Is the battery still doing great after 2 years.  I always hear people asking what the battery life span is.

I am still using it.  The 4.0 amp hour battery is still working great.  I also got a 7.5 amp hour battery last year and that thing is a beast.  I can mow, trim and blow my entire (1/3 acre) yard on one charge.  With the 4.0, I could almost finish mowing it.

I'm completely surprised that this mower has held up as well as it has.  No issues with it at all.  It would be very hard for me to go back to gas in the future.

• Like 2