Sign in to follow this  
rrich1

First cutting board

rrich1    1,584

We are going on vacation later this month to Cali. My aunt is allowing us to stay at their house for the week just outside of LA. As a thank k you I decided to make them a cutting board. I had some walnut, maple, and padauk on hand. Also some cherry but I haven't cut any of it. This will be an edge grain cutting board. Here are a couple of designs I messed around with. Thoughts? Favorite? I'm indecisive so input is appreciated. 414399324c09a19f5365002109a9fb8c.jpg046a32ca694edc6b1f8076bd3d73fadb.jpg472132e12b5d0e9c23404917886bda50.jpg1a795f1a9b696a060e9d5ccbff4b493d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Jscott    66

That is a great idea... I like the last one.. have fun on vacation Cali sounds like would be a good time

rrich1    1,584

@Jscott. Thanks. Ended up going with this one. 0f163eed33e3d7ea3805e992b8bf96a1.jpg

• Like 3

BMack37    3,614

That's the one I liked the most. BTW, congrats on the IG giveaway win Rich!

• Like 1

rrich1    1,584
That's the one I liked the most. BTW, congrats on the IG giveaway win Rich!

Are you talking about one of builybyn8's southwire wire strippers giveaway?

• Like 1

rrich1    1,584

Got the cutting board all but done today. Put a first coat of oil on. I eased over the edges with sandpaper. I went back and forth using a round over or chamfer bit but liked the eased edge better. Terrible lighting where I put the oil on. I'll get a better pic later. 0b120ca26a21ad5d086fca635789796d.jpg43aae670f09866e698a5ec37cdd55235.jpg

• Like 3

BMack37    3,614
13 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Are you talking about one of builybyn8's southwire wire strippers giveaway?

Yes! I always love seeing the crew win. The crew has been knocking it out of the park recently

• Like 1

rrich1    1,584
4 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Yes! I always love seeing the crew win. The crew has been knocking it out of the park recently

ya. lots of us have been winning. tony landin just won the tool pig milwaukee saw which was awesome!

• Like 1

KnarlyCarl    4,942

Looks good there, i was working on making some end grain cutting boards but got way sidetracked with quite a few things here and there and have forgot about it. I want to pick it back up in the winter..

• Like 1

rrich1    1,584
3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Looks good there, i was working on making some end grain cutting boards but got way sidetracked with quite a few things here and there and have forgot about it. I want to pick it back up in the winter..

Do you have a drum sander? how do you plan to flatten the cutting board?

Jscott    66
On 7/15/2017 at 10:02 PM, rrich1 said:

Is that what you used? Do they work good? I have always wondered but have never had the chance to try one.. I would want to use a thickness planer for flattening it, then little sanding with random orbital.. but always interested in new ways the try things.

rrich1    1,584
59 minutes ago, Jscott said:

Is that what you used? Do they work good? I have always wondered but have never had the chance to try one.. I would want to use a thickness planer for flattening it, then little sanding with random orbital.. but always interested in new ways the try things.

Mine is not an end grain cutting board so I used my planer. I used my orbital sander and a little hand sanding it called it a day. 

KnarlyCarl    4,942
On 7/15/2017 at 10:02 PM, rrich1 said:

I made a practice one and ran it through my planer with sacrificial boards out the front and back ends to prevent sniping, and made it narrow enough to fit through the planer. It worked really well. Then i'll run a ROS on it

• Like 1

Jscott    66
11 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Mine is not an end grain cutting board so I used my planer. I used my orbital sander and a little hand sanding it called it a day. 

Ic I would prob still use the same method never really considered the end grain needing to be done differently.