Table Saw Input

JimboS1ice

So I’m at the point in my shop where it’s time to get a table saw. Looking for input but here’s my direction.

Smaller and compact so it can be “put away”

Base not important as I plan on building a lower cabinet on casters that I can roll to an outfeed table.

Budget around 500 but not strict

Would like to be able to use a dado eventually.

Color doesn’t matter but I am leaning Dewalt maybe the DWE7480

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The DeWalt was nice but I liked the Hitachi better honestly it was better all the way around and was cheaper. The DeWalt was soo damn  loud I never wanted to start it up, it did cut nice though. The Hitachi has a nice soft start motor cuts 36 inches runs nice and smooth and has a brake on it u should compare them at Lowes. I took them both back and got a hybrid saw because it was closer to what I was wanting in my shop but I did like them both. that new skilsaw spt99 with the zero gravity stand looks pretty damn awesome and it has the the same fence style as the DeWalt and Hitachi but with the worm drive that could be a great option. 

If you plan to make a base later I wouldn't rule out a bigger saw like a delta or Ridgid. Next time you are at Lowe's I would put the Bosch saw next to the delta and see there isn't that much of a difference. The extra capacity for ripping, table length, and overall being much more study is worth it. I initially was looking at contractor saws but realized the pros of a slightly larger saw.

Plus being able to out storage and a router table into the larger saw will save other space in the shop as well.

If I were to look at strictly contractor saw skill just came out with a new one that looks great. Bosch has always been solid. Hitachi is cheaper and is usually on sale at Lowe's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

my flex does the job and as a "first table saw" it was a great choice. Might be something to look into considering you already have some flex batteries. Also is small too. Another recommendation would either be a hybrid saw or a smaller cabinet saw with a caster setup.

24 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

Does it have to be new? Every once in a while there are some nice cabinet saws on CL for a song. Every area is different though. 

No lie. I just browsed for a minute and found this in my area: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/tls/d/commercial-delta-uni-fence/6318607164.html

• Like 1

Does it have to be new? Every once in a while there are some nice cabinet saws on CL for a song. Every area is different though. 

Usually Craigslist here is overflowed with 40 year old rusted snap on that guys want triple what they paid.

I’m trying to stay away from a cabinet saw as they tend to be bulky.
I’ve considered the FV table but for 150 bucks less I’d rather have the 10” blade.
I like the contractor saws because if need be they can be stored more compactly.
Rip capacity isn’t a huge deal I don’t plan on doing much sheet material with it but smaller stock, sheet goods eventually I’ll grab a track saw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[mention=51951]JimboS1ice[/mention] you thinking the Ron Paulk bench setup? I think one of the earlier designs used a DeWALT tablesaw. 

Not quite a Paulk by something modular where I can roll it up to my centipede top I’m building and use as an outfeed if needed and when I’m done the table will store on its side and the Saw can just roll against the wall. I would build drawers under it for accessories and whatnot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, JimboS1ice said:

349f13bbaafb57a3595530628d7de214.jpg

Went for the compact route, I like the Hitachi but it’s on the larger size

Will this saw let you use a dado stack.  I noticed some of the DeWalt would not take a dado.

Heard a lot of good stuff about Dewalt's table saws. How have you come up with the DWE7480 decision?

I'm thinking of getting myself a Dewalt too, but the DWE7491 one I saw in a blog I've read here. It got a good review and even ranked at the top 3 for 2017. 

Been going around forums checking for some feedbacks and so far, so good. 

• Like 1

Heard a lot of good stuff about Dewalt's table saws. How have you come up with the DWE7480 decision?

I'm thinking of getting myself a Dewalt too, but the DWE7491 one I saw in a blog I've read here. It got a good review and even ranked at the top 3 for 2017. 

Been going around forums checking for some feedbacks and so far, so good. 

c606eef380bd39bf17720a66450cddc7.jpg

I did, I love it it’s the perfect size for my needs. I’ll be building it into a cabinet soon

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 3:24 PM, JimboS1ice said:

c606eef380bd39bf17720a66450cddc7.jpg

I did, I love it it’s the perfect size for my needs. I’ll be building it into a cabinet soon

One idea you could use is building a modified version of the Paulk Total Station or Compact Workbench. Don't build the saw horses and modify to work with your centipedes and hang the saw off the end of it, that way you can tuck the saw under a bench or table or store it on a shelf, then stand the bench top along the wall (both of his smaller designs are 3' X 6') and fold up the centipede, you could even tuck it inside the stood up bench so the total footprint it takes up stored would be about 1' X 3' plus the space the saw takes up, where ever you put it. They are simple well thought out designs with  plenty of videos showing various peoples' modifications of the design on YouTube and Pinterest. Here is one that Ron shared that he thought was pretty slick: 

• Like 1