What are your favorite phillips power bits?

BMack37

Here is the Toptul bit:

dwMY7yL.jpg

TM7AeWw.jpg

Very nice machining and the anti-cam ribs are angled and really bit into the screw head, very nice bit IMO.

Problem is that the bit is longer than any other bit at the base of the indent groove. I use the Bosch Clic-change quick change and it didn't fit. I had to use the grinder to grind down quite a bit off the back, was a little impatient so I potentially got too much heat into it.

d7V5FI7.jpg

That bit reminds me of the icebits that came out 15 or so years ago. I havnt seen them in a long time though. Which they did break tips a lot too. So that maybe why. Any body else remember them? "Ice bits" was what the name was on the bits.

Sent from my LGAS995 using Tapatalk

Those are the Vermont American bits right? They were super hardened which I think was the problem with those, they have a deckster bit which I just bought...they also moved production of a lot of their stuff to China and the quality went down. I'm expecting some Deckster bits that are USA made in a few days. I have a few "ribbed" bits, none seem to have any issue with the ribbed design. My first was the Bosch, which is a nice bit...but the metal is soft so it wears quickly.

Here's some of the anti-cam out bits(old pic):

VCtMSZu.jpg

Those are the Vermont American bits right? They were super hardened which I think was the problem with those, they have a deckster bit which I just bought...they also moved production of a lot of their stuff to China and the quality went down. I'm expecting some Deckster bits that are USA made in a few days. I have a few "ribbed" bits, none seem to have any issue with the ribbed design. My first was the Bosch, which is a nice bit...but the metal is soft so it wears quickly.

Here's some of the anti-cam out bits(old pic):

VCtMSZu.jpg

That sounds right...

Sent from my LGAS995 using Tapatalk

Do you have any pictures of the bits you have used so far so we can see how they have worn?

Not really, they aren't really wearing that much...other than the Bosch and the Milwaukees.

The Blue-Point is finally starting to show wear, it took at least twice as many screws as the Bosch...both are usable but you can noticeably feel slop in the fitment. I don't think either bit will show the wear very well in pictures, basically the ribs get wore down and some wear on the wings(?) and the bit gets sloppy. The Blue-Point bit I really like so I've used that a lot, it has a really thin profile. I'll try tomorrow.

• Like 1

How much would a set of Wiha, Wera, PB Swiss or Felo cost you? I know prices are higher in the UK but if it's anywhere close to the cost of the Dewalt set, I'd consider those. The big thing about that set that makes us like it so much is the value, it's cheap for a lot of quality bits...but it's not German/Swiss/Czech quality. I just don't want you paying high-end money for those bits.

...though the screw holder might be worth it anyway because I don't think you can't really get it anywhere else.

the wera and whia are more expensive and I know they are better bits and in the UK there's a lot of German quality bits available on eBay .

At the moment I use the dewalt extreme ( flex torque ) ph2 bits as I love the fit and they are working very well for me and they only cost £5 for 5 of the 50mm ones ( 2 inch lol) and for pz2 I'm using bosch extra tough bits as I love the fit again but I'm fussy about the shape of the bit on pz2 bits as the more rounded head bit's fit a lot nicer then the sharper edged bits ! I know that's not making a lot of sense but I will upload two photos and you will get what I'm saying c4a18a04600b42e1614151cf7c9198b3.jpgd10bb7ef83d1465ac98c0e37f1896054.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the wera and whia are more expensive and I know they are better bits and in the UK there's a lot of German quality bits available on eBay .

At the moment I use the dewalt extreme ( flex torque ) ph2 bits as I love the fit and they are working very well for me and they only cost £5 for 5 of the 50mm ones ( 2 inch lol) and for pz2 I'm using bosch extra tough bits as I love the fit again but I'm fussy about the shape of the bit on pz2 bits as the more rounded head bit's fit a lot nicer then the sharper edged bits ! I know that's not making a lot of sense but I will upload two photos and you will get what I'm saying

Dude, have you read this thread? I'm the king of fussy and overly critical! haha. I totally get it. We don't get a ton of PZ but yeah, I agree with you on the fitment. I almost prefer some regular phillips to those sharp edged PZ bits. I'm actually working on a reel-to-reel right now that is almost completely PZ, German-made.

Are you doing a test of the bits then ? Yeah the fitment is key for me , I see you lot speak about Robertson sq drive we don't use them in the UK but they must be good the way you lot mention them a lot

I was planning on doing some impact tests on all the bits, bought extras of each for this specific purpose but I've been dealing with some lingering injuries and haven't been able to do much after work. Yesterday I could barely get any work done at work because of it :(

It's coming though, eventually.

I like Robertson a lot, it's easier to deal with than torx but doesn't cam out like phillips. It's a little different than square drive, the bits taper so it's easy to seat them like a phillips. I believe Robertsons were invented in Canada, they use them a lot up there. Notice our resident Canadian was the first one to bring it up! If I'm buying screws for a wood project, it's going to be Robertsons if I can.

I was planning on doing some impact tests on all the bits, bought extras of each for this specific purpose but I've been dealing with some lingering injuries and haven't been able to do much after work. Yesterday I could barely get any work done at work because of it :(

It's coming though, eventually.

I like Robertson a lot, it's easier to deal with than torx but doesn't cam out like phillips. It's a little different than square drive, the bits taper so it's easy to seat them like a phillips. I believe Robertsons were invented in Canada, they use them a lot up there. Notice our resident Canadian was the first one to bring it up! If I'm buying screws for a wood project, it's going to be Robertsons if I can.

them screws do sound good , is there stuff you see in the UK that you lot cant get in the USA ? I can't believe how cheap you lot can get stuff like Freud saw blades and other accessories !!

them screws do sound good , is there stuff you see in the UK that you lot cant get in the USA ? I can't believe how cheap you lot can get stuff like Freud saw blades and other accessories !!

A few years ago; Top Gear, haha. Not really, UK prices are pretty high for a lot of things, from tools to cuban cigars. I did have a snorkeling mask in the UK shipped to me for a friend's birthday. There's no distributor for those, they sell for under $50 in the UK but re-sellers sell them for over $200 in the US.

• 2 years later...

Hello.

From all your answers and some reviews I've preselected these brands:

PB Swiss Tools, Hilti Diamond, Vermont, Makita Gold, Zephyr, Bosch Ribbed and Kobalt.

What's your ranking on the absolutely best power bit set?

What's about the best for its price?

19 hours ago, skan said:

Hello.

From all your answers and some reviews I've preselected these brands:

PB Swiss Tools, Hilti Diamond, Vermont, Makita Gold, Zephyr, Bosch Ribbed and Kobalt.

What's your ranking on the absolutely best power bit set?

What's about the best for its price?

You can definitely remove Vermont and Bosch ribbed. The Kobalt isn't impact rated and I think they might be discontinuing them(I've seen them on clearance) but it is actually a pretty good driving bit. It's probably about as good as the Bosch, the problem with the Bosch is that as the ribs wear out the fit really gets sloppy and they have to be replaced.

PB Swiss is great but expensive and limited retailers. Felo and Wiha are probably my favorite, just edging the PB Swiss out. The longer Makita gold bits that are made in Japan are the best in HD and Lowe's but they're almost the same cost as the German brands. Makita had gold (1") bits that are made in China, I am unsure of how good those are for wear. If you break a Felo bit from KC Tool, they'll replace it for free...you'll have to check with them for the warranty on Wiha and Wera. Wera does have anti-cam-out impact bits, Wiha and Felo do not. I prefer Felo and Wiha to Wera but that's not to say that Wera isn't excellent, they're all really good. PB Swiss has the tightest fit, sometimes I'd get the bits stuck in the phillips head screws...and I don't mean the bit pulls out of a magnetic bit holder, I mean I have to push on the item I'm driving into and pull on the drill hard to get it out.  

I haven't tried Hilti or Zephyr yet.

• 1 month later...

Some brands don't fit as well, like the Milwaukee Shockwaves, into the screws but in general, I think of bits as commodity consumables and I'm looking for cost effectiveness, i.e. how many screws can be driven per $ spent.  So most times I get "reputable" bits when they go on sale.

I don't do much driving into metal so impact bits are not as good since they are softer and wear faster.  I use the same 1" to 6" bits for hand tools, drill/drivers and impacts.  This saves a ton of space in tool bags and work benches.

I like "hard" or "extra hard" non-impact S2 tool steel bits from various brands, like the middle one here from Vega (good brand):

http://vegaindustries.net/products/driver-bits/square/square-power-bits-4205

Btw, I'm Canadian so I don't use Philips very much, and Robertson bits fit much better and last a lot longer.

• 3 years later...