Who's getting the 20V Max adapter for their old 18V tools?

DiverDn

No over heating of the tool, here their website advises not to use their premium batteries which are their higher amperage.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.15.29 PM.png

That only warns about not using them on 2 lower range drills. No problems with the 29oz adhesive spreader/old grinder/old higher end drills. Truth is I would burn these old tools up to keep from toting a case of old batteries. They need a new29oz adhesive tool on the 20v.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say its a big mistake. Almost All companies with the exception of Ryobi have changed their batteries over the years. Dewalt had a lot more tools out there and so we hear more complaints but change is a good thing. I mean they still sell the stick batteries which most other companies can't say so its not like they left customers high and dry.

Several of the items that were listed had doors for battery retention/covers, the vacuums and radios come to mind (they would run off 12, 14.4 and 18 volts, just shorter run times). As for chargers a lot of the 18V chargers that came with kits would not charge the lithium 18 volt batteries. The rule of thumb for the 18 V line is a black charger can charge the older standard and XRP packs and the yellow chargers can charge both NiCd and Lithium.

I am pretty well situated for now in 18 volt batteries with 5 XRPs and 2 Lithiums right now. I will probably eventually get the adapter to use with some of my lesser used tools that only have a little use on them. 

That only warns about not using them on 2 lower range drills. No problems with the 29oz adhesive spreader/old grinder/old higher end drills. Truth is I would burn these old tools up to keep from toting a case of old batteries. They need a new29oz adhesive tool on the 20v.

That's a tool I can't believe Dewalt hasn't done a 20v max version and also how long it took for the finish nailer to come out.

I wouldn't say its a big mistake. Almost All companies with the exception of Ryobi have changed their batteries over the years. Dewalt had a lot more tools out there and so we hear more complaints but change is a good thing. I mean they still sell the stick batteries which most other companies can't say so its not like they left customers high and dry.

That is true. It just goes to show you how big the XRP lineup was, and how many people used it. The adapter is nice as its hard to find lithium batteries and if you do they are not cheap for the old 18v tools.

For what it is worth; I received one of these adapters from Tool-nut after the initial release, before Dewalt delayed future deliveries last November. The adapter does work with four and five amp hour batteries, at least it worked on the two drill type tools I still owned with those battery sizes. However, the adapter will definitely not work with any of their cordless nail guns due to a problem with the electronics on the flywheel of the guns. As it currently stands, there is no fix, and it is assumed that there will not be any planned attempt to fix this problem on the adapter.

I spent a few emails asking questions and making comments about the adapter with someone at Tool-nut, and they sent me a UPS return label and offered a refund, without my asking for one. I had originally pre-ordered the  adapter, prior to the known issue of the nail guns being released, for the primary purpose of extending the life of the three cordless guns I currently own. Tool-nut was not aware of the issue up until this past week when our correspondence took place. I was informed that they planned on updating their site to reflect the issue.

The end result is that I do not believe that Dewalt has done their best to inform both the end users and their distributors of any limitations this tool may exhibit. They really need to step up their game in this area. It would save time, money and frustration for all involved.

• Like 1

Stopped into my local Acme Tool yesterday and picked up a couple of items.

I asked them if they had any of the adapters yet and they said no, they were not going to get them until DeWalt "fixed the problem with them".

According to them, DeWalt is still having overheating problems with them.

For what it's worth.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon had them with a delivery of "one or two months"  a couple of days ago as a stand alone , but now they are shown as 

Currently unavailable. 

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCA1820-Dewalt-Battery-Adapter/dp/B016K1UD0E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_469_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51G7VoroXQL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VPZRD6XD6SWJHJMS80B

But as of the time of this post, the complete set of batteries, charger and adapter was available:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016K1UEPS/ref=s9_simh_gw_g469_i3_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-4&pf_rd_r=120DD5Z9ZMC4KGS715YP&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2090149782&pf_rd_i=desktop

1 hour ago, sgand said:

I guess I got lucky and got one from Amazon during the small window they were for sale a few weeks ago. Shipping was estimated for the middle of March, but it arrived today. 

Ccac97UUEAENF56.jpg

Hey there, welcome to the forum, what's going on, what do you do for a livelihood ? What are you going to use that adapter on?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2016 at 9:32 AM, JimboS1ice said:

I think I've seen that, maybe the tool can only handle a single row of lithium batteries, I would imagine has something to do with electronics and over load.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Capacity should have no effect on the Voltage or Current draw. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

what 18v xrp  you can still buy, they are made in Baltimore MD USA  for service call 1 800-4-Dewalt   www.Dewalt .com  that's what they say on bottom of battery   just bought new pair, dec 2016  they are stamped 2016.  and  you don't have to pay the price of a 20v. if it not broke don't fix just maintain.