Cordless mitre saw advice! (DCS365 vs DLS714)

marsh942

12 hours ago, marsh942 said:

I only managed a quick 10 min play with it with a few work mates, all of them very impressed after scepticism at the beginning! Saw felt great to use, nice action although different from usual with the 4 rail system! Like I said, the quality of cut, although some basic pre-primed pine skirting and basic 4x2 framing timber, was superb even on the standard 24 toother! One of my work mates has the old DLS713 and although it does the trick and gets there in the end he was less than happy after seeing the new beast!

Makita makes blades almost as bad as Dewalt does. Throw a Diablo on that thing the first chance you get and you're grin will be ear to ear. 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Makita makes blades almost as bad as Dewalt does. Throw a Diablo on that thing the first chance you get and you're grin will be ear to ear. 

Only problem is the saw blade is 190mm (7 1/2") and the only Diablo's I can get are 185mm (7 1/4"). I would need to make an add-on for the rear fence so the blade cuts all the way through (I think?). 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Some of the blades on the newer makita saws are actually better than diablo.  I don't know about the miter saw in particular though.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Some of the blades on the newer makita saws are actually better than diablo.  I don't know about the miter saw in particular though.

Actually I am a pretty big fan of their blades too. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Give me a model number on the blades you like, I'll do a side by side. I've tested just about everything except for commercial grade blades (like Forest) and have been pretty unimpressed with anything after using Diablo. 

1 hour ago, marsh942 said:

Only problem is the saw blade is 190mm (7 1/2") and the only Diablo's I can get are 185mm (7 1/4"). I would need to make an add-on for the rear fence so the blade cuts all the way through (I think?). 

I don't think so. You're talking about a radius of only 1/8th of an inch difference, the hook angle at the end of the cut would be different but I still think you'd get a complete cut. I'd be giving it a try though, 7 1/2" is far less common. 

The Makita blades that come with new tools are much better than the ones you buy in a store. For some reason they don't even sell the same blades in stores that come with the tools. The Makita blades that are mostly for sale here are 'Bluemak' and they are nowhere near as good as the plain silver ones that came with my mitresaw, tablesaw, and circular saws. Even the Makita reps I deal with say the same thing, off the shelf Makita blades are crap but the ones that come with the tool are great and I tend to agree.

6 hours ago, marsh942 said:

There is a screw that stops the depth of the blade. All you have to do is adjust that screw to lower the blade a little more so that 7 1/4" blades will work. If you put a 7 1/2" blade back on later you have to remember to adjust that screw again so you don't damage the saw.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marcv76 said:

There is a screw that stops the depth of the blade. All you have to do is adjust that screw to lower the blade a little more so that 7 1/4" blades will work. If you put a 7 1/2" blade back on later you have to remember to adjust that screw again so you don't damage the saw.

Learn something new every day! Diablo blade it is (after I get some use out the standard)! Thanks!! You should put those cut videos up here to show people the cut quality! 

On 5/14/2016 at 0:14 AM, Tool Lover 69 said:

The Makita blades that come with new tools are much better than the ones you buy in a store. For some reason they don't even sell the same blades in stores that come with the tools. The Makita blades that are mostly for sale here are 'Bluemak' and they are nowhere near as good as the plain silver ones that came with my mitresaw, tablesaw, and circular saws. Even the Makita reps I deal with say the same thing, off the shelf Makita blades are crap but the ones that come with the tool are great and I tend to agree.

Well that's logical, lol. Look down this list and tell me if any of these match what you're saw came with. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=makita+silver+blades&rlz=1CATAAB_enUS670US670&oq=makita+silver+blades&aqs=chrome..69i57.7774j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#safe=off&tbm=shop&q=makita+miter+saw++blades

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Nope.