Kitchen getting new stone counters/backsplash today!!!

JerryNY

After a long slog installing my entire kitchen solo the counters and backsplash are going in. The floors and stonework are the only things I didn't do myself. All the plumbing, completely new electrical, and cabinet install was done by me and it's a great day to see it all coming together :) I'll prob post a whole thread with photos throughout the Reno from bare studs to finish work all completed at some point soon. The counters are soapstone so they look light gray until oiled/bees waxed and the island and backsplash are super white quartzite.image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Poisonfangs85 said:

Superb! I love the slopped area for the faucet to drain. I have to admit I freaked out a bit at the hidden outlet. Great job!

Thanks, Yeah the drain board is relatively common on soapstone to the side of the sink but being a corner sink I thought it would be cooler to use that wasted space behind it. I love the way it came out. The fabricator/installer who's done 1000's of soapstone jobs told me he's never done a corner drain board and loves the way it looks with the faucet sitting in the notch back there. 

On 5/12/2016 at 9:27 PM, Poisonfangs85 said:

Superb! I love the slopped area for the faucet to drain............

Yes, same here, great idea.

This is absolutely incredible, i love seeing it come together, that soapstone really came out once you oiled it, amazing, like I said, i want it in my kitchen someday.

@JerryNY how do you like having only one sink instead of a double basin? 

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Yes, same here, great idea.

This is absolutely incredible, i love seeing it come together, that soapstone really came out once you oiled it, amazing, like I said, i want it in my kitchen someday.

@JerryNY how do you like having only one sink instead of a double basin? 

I'm not a huge fan of double basins to be honest. They work ok if you have a huge sink maybe but in corner install you're already working against space constraints and I'd rather have one big sink than two smaller ones. If you have a dishwasher I don't think a double basin is really necessary. A separate prep sink somewhere else in the kitchen would be my preference. It's all a matter of taste, needs and desires what you want though. The sink I got is 28" and 10" deep so it pretty big for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That looks insane! I love that look, I've never been one for that tile backsplash that's in style, seems like it's just bound to be out of style like the 70s style home decorating. This on the other hand, I don't think will ever go out of style, it's just soo clean looking. Great job!