15 gauge or 16 gauge nails for nailers

jacenfett71

With all the new nailers coming out what would be the best gauge of finish nail.  I really like the 15 gauge angled finish nail, but so many companies are making nail guns for the straight 16 gauge finish nail.  My opinion is that the 16 gauge finish nail is close to having a 18 gauge brad nail.  Also, I have a lot of the Porter Cable 20 volt cordless tools and does anybody know if they will come out with a angled 15 gauge cordless 20 volt finish nailer.   I know there are better lines out there, but right now this is what I have.  Please let me know

I wouldn't bother with 16ga straight nailers.  The angled strip gives so many more options (as long as the nailer can actually fire at an angle).  Whether you want 16ga or 15ga angled though is more a personal choice of which brand nailer you want because most manufacturers only make one or the other in cordless.

I agree with the above thoughts. I went with a 15ga angled, gives you a lot of options depending on the task. Up to 2 1/2" nails on mine allows me to use it to tack in fairly substantial stuff prior to attaching with screws and the like. Really appreciate the angled design for getting in tight spots. I have an 18 for the small stuff.

• Like 1

I've got an air powered 15g Dewalt Finish nailer and it's a great gun. But that didn't stop me from buying the DCN660 brushless angled 16g finish nailer. It came in this week and it is an awesome machine. I am using it for molding and assembly and couldn't be happier with it. The nails are thicker (naturally) than the 18g brads and have a lot of holding power. My 15g gun is great and the nails are a minutiae bigger but meh.....having a compact cordless finish nailer that shoots a 16g nailer through hardwoods slick as snot and has super holding power and a slightly smaller head to fill is worth it.  I've got the DCN692 framer For framing. My finish nailer is just that, a finish nailer. My pin nailer is just that, a pinner. 

• Like 4

On June 4, 2016 at 7:40 AM, regopit said:

Let me sound like an old man here. "Back in my day" before cordless nailers must guys would use a angle finish nailer it made it easier to shoot at odd angles even with the hose.

And get off my lawn! LOL

• Like 2

On 6/4/2016 at 10:40 AM, regopit said:

Let me sound like an old man here. "Back in my day" before cordless nailers must guys would use a angle finish nailer it made it easier to shoot at odd angles even with the hose.

You run into all sorts of funky situations doing trim. Unless you do a ton of flat work maybe then a straight nailer would be worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DR99 said:

You run into all sorts of funky situations doing trim. Unless you do a ton of flat work maybe then a straight nailer would be worth it.

I have only straight brad nailers. My finish nailers are angled and since I got my DeWalt 18V Gun I have not used a air finisher. 

• Like 1