Preferred brands?

Conductor562

I'm not at all above asking a fellow customer what they're looking for and what they plan on doing with the tool. Most people are eager to listen to what I have to say. Every once in awhile I get a weird look though.

I tend to MMOB when I'm in the stores unless I hear someone planning something epically stupid or I get asked a direct question. There is just so much stupid down here, I can't be bothered with it all, and like Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

The majority of my sockets are older USA made Craftsman. Most I had, others I buy at garage sales and estate sales. I have some Cornwell, Williams and Proto sockets too. Ratchets are a mix of several brands; Craftsman, Snap-on, Mac, Proto, SK and few others thrown in. Screwdrivers are a lot of the old black soft grip Craftsman pros, Snap-on and Matco's. Pliers are different manufacturers. I stick to US brands and prefer used tools over new ones.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Knipex,Craftsman,SK and the tooltruck brands.Snap On has changed their warranty twice.First one was dealer pulling the not purchased from me excuse and there are a couple dealers in my area pulling this that are still doing this.Now a reciept is needed or tool does not get fixed or replaced,cracking down on people buying from the second hand market.My father even knows a shop owner in Big Rapids,Mi that took care of a problem with the Snap On dealer that comes around.An employee of his had a ratchet that was slipping and this dealer said there was nothing wrong with it.This shop owner witnessed this happening,slipped 5 times giving this employee busted knuckles twice.Did not call Snap On's service about this problem.Had a talk with this dealer and gave him an ultimatuim: fix the ratchet or he was done stopping by.Ended up fixing the ratchet and this stopped ever since.

Snap-On keeps tightening up on their warranty. In a lot of cases your warranty satisfaction depends solely on how tight you are with the driver. For someone like me who isn't on the route, they've pretty much placed their self out of reach. Doesn't bother me, Proto is just as good in most cases for a fraction of the price and no truck to chase down. 

Snap On now checks boxes too for a reason why from dealers that  send broken tools replaced under warranty to Snap On.One ex dealer decided to mix rocks with broken tools to Snap On this way and did not get away with it.Lost his franchise and no longer a dealer.Snap On dealer down the road in my area told me about this.My father had a Snap On dealer come around,kicked him out in 1998.Was not coming around and treated my father like crap,bad service.Came back one day,my father told him there is the door and don't come back.I only had to send in one broken Proto Challenger socket into Proto so far.Have a Matco tool dealer coming in every Friday now,nothing but great service from him and he is this way.Believes in treating the customer right.Have had Mac and Cornwell come in,did not last and I send broken Mac and Cornwell tools in to get replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked Klein until they started making a lot of their stuff in China. They still make a lot of USA stuff, but you have to pay attention.

As long as they don't change anything about their pliers I'll be happy. I really hope that they keep making those in the US. I don't know what I would do without my klein pliers and dikes.  

I did notice that my 11 in 1 was made in Taiwan or something. I wonder what other tools they're making over seas now. 

• 3 months later...

You are lucky. Very few remember those times. My grandfather 1894-1986 told me when he was a kid everything you bought cost a flat  $1.00, $ 5.00 etc. 

He always joked about this .99 cents and $ 1.99 prices. Un-American he said. It was the early 60's and all we had close to the farm was the

Coast to Coast store. Back then most all the imported stuff was from Japan. I was only a kid, 10 years old but remember how he would turn items over and look at where they were made . If it wasn't America he was furious, " Why do they sell this imported stuff when the same thing is made right here in the USA ? "  I thought he was just a cranky old man. Looking at the decline of American jobs today, I realize he was looking to the future. Now, I think he was a cranky old genius !

I grew up right down the street from a Coast to Coast Hardware. Sometime in the early 90's CtoC was bought by ServiceStar. It stayed that way for awhile, but when SS was bought by True Value our local store closed. After a few years of nothing, someone opened a Trust Worthy Hardware but it didn't last. The tried to sell big ticket items like kitchen cabinets and Buck Stoves, but didn't carry a lot of basic hardware items. They made it 3 or 4 years but couldn't keep up with Lowe's and HD.