which 12v to go with

youngcarpenter

Hey guys got a long one 

so I've used and purchased RIDGIDS 12v drill and impact driver and I like them but there isn't much on their 12v platform

My question is should I go with the power house Milwaukee M12 line which looks awesome and is the biggest 12v lineup on the market right now or go with another brand like DEWALT or Makita? I've used DEWALTs 12v line and wasn't to impressed with the drills. Any and all input would be amazing just need to choose by August. I plan on using these in my schools shop and home shop

Stay away from Dewalt, it's a dead line. Makita CXT is new and growing the slide packs, Makita stocks are dead. A lot of promise with makitas new line, also m12 is a huge line of great tools. Bosch is good but smaller

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just got the $99 M12 drill and impact kit from HD and love it so far. I will be adding to the line as soon as some funds free up. And to add to what Jimbo said, the DeWalt 12V line is not only dead but it is terrible.....only a few tools on it. Go with the M12 and you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

true that jimbo but isn't boschs 12v line up also dead? 

From what I've researched and seen on the channel here M12 is the way to go

I'm going to a buddys to help with a build who has the new makita 12v tools to see how they feel i just need to get a feel for the m12s before i use them. Also Dave Jr. saw that deal at home depot would have jumped on it but don't have the funds right now. Foneguy I'm currently a part of the Dewalt 20v and Ridgid 18v line but I'm just looking for lightweight tools to use around the shop and small tools to throw into my bags for builds 

true that jimbo but isn't boschs 12v line up also dead? 

From what I've researched and seen on the channel here M12 is the way to go

I'm going to a buddys to help with a build who has the new makita 12v tools to see how they feel i just need to get a feel for the m12s before i use them. Also Dave Jr. saw that deal at home depot would have jumped on it but don't have the funds right now. Foneguy I'm currently a part of the Dewalt 20v and Ridgid 18v line but I'm just looking for lightweight tools to use around the shop and small tools to throw into my bags for builds 

They have a new brushless compact drill and impact coming out this year, Australia has it already

Jimbo

• Like 1

Without a doubt, M12. The only problem is that most of the stuff is geared toward power instead of compact size, specifically their drills. I personally feel that the M12 Fuel Hackzall is enough to justify going into the M12 line, it's a true reciprocating saw in a one-handed package. The M12 drills aren't small, they're skinny and weigh less than the M18s but they are as long or longer than the M18s. For a compact drill in the line, you have to get the M12 screwdriver but it has a hex bit quick-release chuck...or the right angle drill.

Bosch's comparable drills are MUCH smaller.

• Like 1

I have Milwaukee, Ridgid and Bosch 12v. I can't complain about any of them. The Bosch is the most compact and I like their three light impact driver, but Milwaukee has the most options.

I don't think you can go wrong. I'd focus on what tool(s) other than a drill or I driver you want next and go with that lineup.

I don't like the slide pack style that Milwaukee and dewalt have gone with but that aside, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

• Like 1

I'm a bosch guy so of course I'm going to say bosch! I love how compact they are. There us plenty of power and they do everything I ask them to do. I don't think I would call their 12v lineup dead though. Honestly though I would look into the new slide pack Makitas. I feel like they may be gearing up to make a run at Milwaukee's 12v dominance, of course I could be wrong, but may be worth checking out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Without a doubt the M12 line from Milwaukee. In fact I happen to like the Milwaukee stuff without the 4.0 battery in it. (just the 2.0 stick pack) With that smaller pack in the tools, they are compact, lightweight, and don't get hung up on stuff. Also contrary to what others are saying, I find the M12 fuel and regular drills and impact drivers significantly smaller and much lighter than the M18 counterparts. Could be because my M18 stuff all has the 5.0 battery packs which are bulky and heavy.

• Like 1

I have at least a half a dozen M12 4.0's - other than in one of the lights or the radio, I can't remember the last time I used one. Using them professionally, the 2.0's give plenty of run time in my Fuel stuff. I just don't care for the added bulk of the XC batteries, nor do I ever find them necessary. Like Mike above, I only run 4.0 or larger in my M18 stuff, so an M12 Fuel tool with a 2.0 is definitely compact in relation. As a pro, I would never sacrifice the power of the Fuel line for something that's just a little bit lighter / more compact.

• Like 2

Certain tools the XCs are great, other tools like the right angle drill, tubing cutter, ratchet, rotary more stick like tools I prefer the Conpact batteries, explains why I'm more excited for a compact 3 than a 6.0 xc

Jimbo

• Like 1

I have at least a half a dozen M12 4.0's - other than in one of the lights or the radio, I can't remember the last time I used one. Using them professionally, the 2.0's give plenty of run time in my Fuel stuff. I just don't care for the added bulk of the XC batteries, nor do I ever find them necessary. Like Mike above, I only run 4.0 or larger in my M18 stuff, so an M12 Fuel tool with a 2.0 is definitely compact in relation. As a pro, I would never sacrifice the power of the Fuel line for something that's just a little bit lighter / more compact.

Yes, agreed.

Certain tools the XCs are great, other tools like the right angle drill, tubing cutter, ratchet, rotary more stick like tools I prefer the Conpact batteries, explains why I'm more excited for a compact 3 than a 6.0 xc

Jimbo

I know, I wish we got some more details about that pack with the recent Milwaukee event, I would use the 3ah pack on a few, but would want to get a 6ah for my circular saw.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, youngcarpenter said:

I hear ya gentlemen as of right now I'm going with milwaukee 

not to bad at least getting it from home depot $903 for 4 M12 tools and about 8 batteries 

have you checked CPO? they still have their M12 deals for the next few days where you get free batteries with certain purchases. Could save you a couple hundred over what Home Depot has going right now.

It's hard to blink at Milwaukees lineup. I do love the few Blsch 12v tools I have and look to continue expanding my lineup of their tools. I have heated jackets, a brushless drill, a light and a great little vacuum that I use to clean up around my Kapex. I would agree though, Milwaukee has a giant lineup seconded by Bosch' lineup. 

• Like 1

Aw that's cute... but anybody want to guess where it's NOT available??

>

Chris reminded me I wanted to look for a Bosch cordless vacuum, being as Milwaukees is admittedly very loud... but I don't think the 18v is available...?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I have a few of the Bosch range. Far more compact and lightweight than Milwaukee M12 which doesn't seem to be much smaller than M18 or 18V in general (e.g. the new Metabo 18V 400nm brushless impact wrench is the same size as an M12 impact wrench!).

I don't really see the point of having large sized 12V and I really like Bosch's approach with keeping things compact. This is how 12V should be. If more power is needed, 18V is available.

Bosch 10.8V in Australia doesn't seem to be dead at all. We just recently had a brushless angle grinder released, as well as a brushless drill, brushless impact driver, brushless 3/8 impact wrench and brushless screwdriver.

• Like 3