Painting 4 bedrooms & garage project

olletsocmit

This is the start to painting my bedrooms and then garage. I gave the "1 coat guaranteed" Behr Marquee a try and boy was it shit! I will never use it again. I will be doing a Behr Marquee review in here too. As well as comparing it to Sherman Williams which I will use in the 2nd bedroom.

87ddf31d6615301cae716a43fadc2715.jpg

89cfeb5e6efec8d565d6931d70af0ffe.jpg

93c54836c4c219a2a6b2cda66a406b8f.jpg

1d8100a7bb0bcb3e7ca70e8ebef66021.jpg

8d6acd112ce37bc7ca7135b5d2482ed4.jpg

This is the first coat (the one that was guaranteed to be perfect! haha. More holidays then using cheap paint!

3ed7cc73e26805ad76c6a2853a7dbc5d.jpg

5b813d3264b94801b91d6f5eae89d74d.jpg

d043c57963a2bedcb12b6864f2702b22.jpg

This is the 2nd coat of Marquee and most of trim done at this point used "China white" Marquee for the trim. Again the paint was shit, I had to add floetrol to the trim paint just to be able to even use it. Literally I would paint about a foot of trim then go back to dip brush and when I would continue to paint ur last foot was already dry and pealing.

77df575ab47cbaaa6327c21c4da75925.jpg

546ee9fe8a7c7753a5dc47270381901f.jpg

20c6ba03a8ecc61e531ff3052103e04b.jpg

• Like 2

looking good, I used that paint as well and didn't care for it plus it will rub off with a cloth even after months of it being on the wall if you rub to hard........

looking good, I used that paint as well and didn't care for it plus it will rub off with a cloth even after months of it being on the wall if you rub to hard........

Yea for $40 a gallon it's bullshit. I have a few spots of the wall where it pealed off!

I think you need to use floetrol with the paint or it dries too fast and never bonds right.

It came out good. Definitely sucks about the problems to get it to this point, I will agree Sherwin Williams will not cause you problems but you're paying an arm and a dick for it lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

looking good bro.  Not even the folks at my local HD recommend the Behr stuff anymore.

I agree its not as good as it used to be. I have had good luck with Glidden thou,for a cheaper brand Glidden is what i use. When we reroofed last year I replaced a bunch  of dry rotted spots on the eaves before the gutters went up. Used Glidden to give it some protection from the elements,worked great as far as coverage and such easy to apply with a decent brush,and It doesnt seem to be affected by the summer heat,or winter cold so far. I just used a plain white color since one ofthese days Ill get around to painting house exterior,so it should have a good base.

I used SW for the first time last year when I painted my house and will only buy them or ben moore from now on. SW often runs 30% and will occasionally run 40% off sales making it the price of other paints for their premium paints. Sign up for the paint perks and get 10% off all the time.. they also send coupons you can stack with the sales.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

I used SW for the first time last year when I painted my house and will only buy them or ben moore from now on. SW often runs 30% and will occasionally run 40% off sales making it the price of other paints for their premium paints. Sign up for the paint perks and get 10% off all the time.. they also send coupons you can stack with the sales.

Nice deal, if there's one thing I'm terrible at, is figuring out the coupons and deals regarding these things.... Good thing I have you guys to rely on to help figure it out!!

• Like 2

Just now, KnarlyCarl said:

Nice deal, if there's one thing I'm terrible at, is figuring out the coupons and deals regarding these things.... Good thing I have you guys to rely on to help figure it out!!

always here to help. I just finished staining my deck. SW was running a 30% sale. I used it to purchase my white stain. well I had gotten a coupon for $15 off a $50 purchase. stacked that with the sale to get another gallon of stain plus a Purdy brush hand sand paper for cheaper than the price of the stain originally.

Also if you plan on doing a huge painting project like I did when I painted my house. I purchased my paint a few months in advance and then took it back to get tinted when I was ready to paint. some store I believe will even store the paint for you until you need it. saved me a ton of money with the 40% off yet I hadn't even started the project of cleaning, repairing anything yet.

• Like 2

OK so I painted my walls about two weeks ago I went ahead and used nine dollar! a roll blue painters tape that's made for delicate or w/e they call it now.... I painted the baseboards and about 15 min later I very very gently remove the tape and a bunch of spots on the wall peeled off marquee)! So I was fed up and called bear today I submitted pictures and spent over two hours on the phone apparently they're going to review and let me know if you'll send me two more gallons ... Quite frankly shit sucks I don't want to use it again but I may do another room if it's free. I'll just make sure I need to add a lot of floetrol

being in the home improvement business for over thirty years, ive done my share of applying coatings, pratt and lambert was the best until sherwin williams bought them out and ruined the line, on all our state and government jobs we use sherwin williams, thats what they spec out, they make make some really nasty stuff that nobody else does, and only for use on commercial jobs, now i use ben moore for all my residential jobs, with the aura line getting most of of the attention. i also tried the behr paint on my own place, i hated it, almost impossible to work with, but all the paints are harder to work with because of the voc laws, but the behr does suck.

• Like 1

being in the home improvement business for over thirty years, ive done my share of applying coatings, pratt and lambert was the best until sherwin williams bought them out and ruined the line, on all our state and government jobs we use sherwin williams, thats what they spec out, they make make some really nasty stuff that nobody else does, and only for use on commercial jobs, now i use ben moore for all my residential jobs, with the aura line getting most of of the attention. i also tried the behr paint on my own place, i hated it, almost impossible to work with, but all the paints are harder to work with because of the voc laws, but the behr does suck.

Good info thanks for passing that along

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, olletsocmit said:

I have two more bedrooms to do. bear went ahead and sent me two free gallons of marquee for all the issues. Do I really want to use this shit and finish since it was free or should I just save it and buy some Sherwin Williams and finish

Sherwin. but you are probably already done by now.