Thinking of buying the dcf887 !

Craigh9916

Hi all I'm thinking of buying the dcf887 which will be my first dewalt tool , I have all bosch 18v which is superb but a few things with the new brushless impact I have are niggling me and it's not up there with the power of the dcf887 so I'm thinking of buying the 2ah kit as I want this impact to be nice and light and still with the 2ah batteries it will still be more powerful then the bosch and it's more compact and also I like the chuck with the one hand operation !

Any feedback from owners of this impact ? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The impact drivers, like wrenches, do take a hit to their power on compacts compared to 10-cell packs. Maybe you're aware of that, and it will still beat your Bosch on a compact, but thought I would mention it just in case. That said, it seems to be a fantastic unit, and Dewalt's 20v Max line is so ergonomical and feel really great to use. 

• Like 1

The impact drivers, like wrenches, do take a hit to their power on compacts compared to 10-cell packs. Maybe you're aware of that, and it will still beat your Bosch on a compact, but thought I would mention it just in case. That said, it seems to be a fantastic unit, and Dewalt's 20v Max line is so ergonomical and feel really great to use. 

Yes I'm fully aware of this that's why I think it will still be great on compacts and nice and light

Have you used this company before. I just checked there site and the kit is £155 now. Great price

Thanks for the heads up , on their eBay it says out of stock but doesn't say that on their website but they are out of stock as I messaged them today and they said they will have more in next week

We had a guy fixing our doors at work today and our company still has him using xrp stuff, so I was busting his balls about it just because, but they still go strong for him and he beats the hell out of them

Jimbo

We have 20v Max but mostly XRP at work. The good stuff gets stolen by deadbeats but no one can be bothered to steal XRP. It's heavy and not that great but they get abused and keep ticking.

Yea that stuff is incredibly durable, built like a tank

Jimbo

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back off my holiday and my dcf887 had arrived which is good but I am not as impressed as I thought I would be !!

It's not a complete rant but a few things tool reviews haven't hit on that I think are really important , in tool reviews I have seen like the recent one from oz tool which was a great review by the way but I have the bosch GDR v ec which you can see in my photo next to the new dcf887 and apart from the bosch not being as powerful as the 887 which by the way is a beast the Bosch is miles ahead in quality and also the way it impacts and seats the screws I will explain why

I have ran them side by side and the dewalt on its low setting isn't the best which most people have agreed but one thing the Bosch does amazingly well is impact at the perfect time to stop the bit slipping out the screw head !

The Bosch on setting 1 puts small screws in perfectly and doesn't at any time want to jump out the screw head but the dewalt is the opposite

Using 2 new ph2 bits which we all know want to cam out I did the same test on all settings and different ph2 screws and the Bosch seats the screws at ease and at no stage wants to pop out

But the dewalt doesn't do it as well in anyway , I know it has higher rpm and Bpm but this isn't what's causing this issue its the fact the impacts don't kick in at the perfect time to stop the slipping they are a split second to late kicking in

Also my other gripe which is the main one for me is the Bosch has the best grip and balance side by side holding one then the other the Bosch fits the hand amazing and also the sound of the Bosch is like a rolls Royce to the sound of the dewalt ! The Bosch is smooth and quiet when you pull the trigger and the dewalt is a lot louder and sounds more raspy if you know what I mean ?

The dewalt has its place and benefits like the chuck and its power but I think tool reviews are missing some big factors like the way the impacts kick in and how the bit stays in the screw a lot better with one impact driver to the other

I will say if I didn't have the Bosch I maybe wouldn't have found these issues an issue but because I've been used to the Bosch it's hard no to notice this

I will be keeping the dewalt as it has its place but in no way has it replaced the Bosch ! c8807e34534511c00477592eadb38889.jpg

• Like 1

We certainly didn't focus on 1st speed performance it's true. I've always loved how quiet the bosch is with small fasteners, often not impacting until the head of a small screw hits the timber. i think the 'drill' mechanism (before impacting starts) must be a tad more powerful than some others.

But it's the opposite if you ask them to do hard things. The bosch will sound awful by comparison if you drive in large fasteners where it has to impact for a long time.

I also wonder if the GDR gives any different performance to the GDX? I've only used the GDX.

Our test probably over-focused on power (heavy trade use), which is the Bosch's weakest point.

We certainly didn't focus on 1st speed performance it's true. I've always loved how quiet the bosch is with small fasteners, often not impacting until the head of a small screw hits the timber. i think the 'drill' mechanism (before impacting starts) must be a tad more powerful than some others.

But it's the opposite if you ask them to do hard things. The bosch will sound awful by comparison if you drive in large fasteners where it has to impact for a long time.

I also wonder if the GDR gives any different performance to the GDX? I've only used the GDX.

Our test probably over-focused on power (heavy trade use), which is the Bosch's weakest point.

Yes completely agree it struggles with the big fasteners and maybe sounds worst at that point but if you do side by side in any mode with small to medium fasteners the way the bosch impacts kick in it drives a lot smoother and without cam out at all , I had the gdx and there is no noticeable difference between that and the GDR that I could tell , to be fair after a few weeks with the dewalt I'm sure I will see where it excels

yeah it always takes a bit of time to get used to new stuff. good to know re: GDX vs GDR.

Also, the power difference will be a fair bit more obvious if you have high capacity batteries on both tools.

yeah it always takes a bit of time to get used to new stuff. good to know re: GDX vs GDR.

Also, the power difference will be a fair bit more obvious if you have high capacity batteries on both tools.

Yeah I know and it's more powerful then the bosch with the slim batteries anyway but that isn't my gripe it has plenty of power which will come into its own but the Bosch on number 1 and even number 2 settings can drive very small delicate screws to perfection impacting at the perfect time but the 887 is not so good at that in number 1 it's neither here nor there and number two is a massive leap so it's not got that right balance like the Bosch plus wish the grip was a little better on the dewalt apart from that I'm sure the 887 will be amazing on certain jobs