Makita 12v (10.8v) or Festool 10.8v

marsh942

I have the DTD148 and love it but feel like I need a smaller driver (non-impact) for more fine/intricate work. The festool appeals to me with the centrotec attachments that seem very easy to use and well thought out BUT the little Brushless Makita DF032 looks the bees knees and I'd imagine Makita are really going to expand the 12v line whereas Festool probably won't add anything to the little 10.8v lineup, would you guys agree? Which would you think would be the better purchase? The Festool retails for $415 AUD with 3 attachments, 2 batteries, charger and systainer. The Makita isn't out in Oz yet but I can purchase and get it sent to me from family in the UK. Would cost $110 AUD without batteries/charger or postage. The Makita batteries are $41 for 1.5ah, $50 for 2.0ah and $89 for 4.0ah. Fast charger is $100 approx.

Look forward to your replies [emoji106]!

62d426f541f521df5ffbad75ac289e2a.jpg

c71ef16799cc0581c16fea766d7fa156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, the specs and feel etc. of a tool will get me interested, the depth of the system/what I will branch out to will get me wanting to pull the trigger on it, and the quality of service will seal the deal. I have Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita, Hilti, etc. service centres all within about 20 mins from home or work. There is no Festool depot that I'm aware of here. Just something to potentially consider. 

Festool is great with woodworking and the intricate work and is probably better then the makita in that area but festool probably won't expanded their line at least not as fast and as many tools as Mikita would 

Well unlike these jamokes I have the CXS :P Best drill I've ever used. Period.

Now....to answer your question. I would recommend without a single doubt, go Makita (answering your question about brands, there are certainly more brands out there to go with) My CXS like the one your looking at has all of the centrotec system chucks and undoubtably the centrotec system is the best but it's a stand alone tool. No 10.8 impacts or saws and I haven't heard that they would consider changing or adding. I am pretty well ensconced in the Centrotec system though and my main drill is the T18 and I have the installers kit plus a bunch of zobos and centrotec brads. If your looking for a 12v / 10.8v line I hate to say it but you might want to look elsewhere. If your looking for a tool for installation work with multiple options on the same tool is highly recommend the CXS.  Just remember the limitations of not having saws and the like in the 10.8 realm.

Chris nailed it I guess.  

If you only want a drill driver and the Centrotec attachment are a must then the Festool is your option.

If you want a more compact solution , more power and the ability to expand then the Makita is the best option :)

Knowing Makita the 12v CXT line will have 50+ tools in a year or 3 :P

37 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

Chris nailed it I guess.  

If you only want a drill driver and the Centrotec attachment are a must then the Festool is your option.

If you want a more compact solution , more power and the ability to expand then the Makita is the best option :)

Knowing Makita the 12v CXT line will have 50+ tools in a year or 3 :P

Whoa whoa whoa Korno...... :P

Festool is still wayyyyyyy better;)

• Like 1

I usually reserve my festool buys for items that are only available from festool, where no other top manufacturer produces a comparable product. I have a full rebate planner from festool, because I could not get a full rebate from anyone else. I also have the festool PlaneX sander system, for sanding dywall and walls, which I did not see anyone else selling (at least no one i knew). And I expect I will probably buy a Domino pretty soon, because no one else makes a slot mortiser. But if Bosch or Makita makes it, I will by it from them instead. I feel with Festool you are paying Mafell or Hilti prices and getting Makita quality.   Unless, the Festool you are buying comes from its European Protools (techtonics) designes( Festool bought out Protools), protools are super Skucoom. 

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Makita 12V isn't that different from 18V as far as tool handling for intricate work whereas the cxs was designed for it.designe

What would ' tool handling' mean then ? :) In what ways do you notice it being ' designed for it ' ?

Honest question. Haven't used a cxs yet.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kornomaniac said:

What would ' tool handling' mean then ? :) In what ways do you notice it being ' designed for it ' ?

Honest question. Haven't used a cxs yet.

It allows a drywall gun style grip which puts your hand inline with the bit while being slim enough to grip it well.  That means everything stays aligned even with a lot of pressure on the bit so no stripped screws, no broken bits, and no misaligned parts.  Combine that with the centrotec system and it just exudes precision.

It's pretty interesting how the L vs T handle designs change how you put pressure on the bit.  I just wish L handle was a more common option outside of drywall guns.

• Like 1

Although I'm a Makita man, the m12 line up is good, although the drill drivers are not as compact they do seem to be good quality. Hmmmm

The new Makita 12v line is starting to look promising

Jimbo