M18 Fuel Miter finally up on HD site...

JerryNY

2 hours ago, glass said:

Just checked out the dewalt dhs790.... lets hope Milwaukee does better..... on the dewalt same hard head spring, crappy sticky slides and when I lowered the head all the way down the blade contacted the base of the saw.

Lol. When I checked one out I walked away impressed. Looking forward to seeing the Fuel in store. 

I am an owner of a dws780. Its a great framer. Well priced, great capacity, light for size, shadow line, simple to use and adjust. If dewalt improved on the following it would be untouchable : added soft start, more power, smoother slides, less head tension. Of course just my 2 cents. Its a good saw but 800 bucks just to use it cordless is a big jump from the 600 I paid for corded only plus it came with a free stand.

1 hour ago, BLRWI said:

Has anyone tried the Fuel miter with a dust collector? I would prefer the 10in in a cordless but the initial reviews seem to indicate dust goes everywhere with it's design. 

This isn't with a dust collector, but I doubt it would make enough difference to be worth the hassle of getting it to work with a cordless saw.

He problem with miter saw dust collection is that you've got to get to 95% before you can use one indoors in an occupied house. I'm not saying that they couldn't do better or that an 80% dust collection rate wouldn't be great, but I'm guessing that 20% of the dust flying around in a customer's house is still going to be too much. 

AFAIK, only the Festool does a good enough job to be used in a finished house and not a shop setting. 

8 hours ago, glass said:

maybe the fastcap mustache could help or even 2 pieces of tape extending the dust chute ?

The 12" Milwaukee miter saw has the same basic design for the dust collection. With just the bag, dust does everywhere. I've hooked mine up to a shop vac and it actually doesn't spew much dust at all by comparison. I'll have to do some more scientific testing or perhaps a quick video. 

I'd love some sort of collapsible shroud to make it even better though. 

11 hours ago, BLRWI said:

Has anyone tried the Fuel miter with a dust collector? I would prefer the 10in in a cordless but the initial reviews seem to indicate dust goes everywhere with it's design. 

59 minutes ago, khariV said:

The 12" Milwaukee miter saw has the same basic design for the dust collection. With just the bag, dust does everywhere. I've hooked mine up to a shop vac and it actually doesn't spew much dust at all by comparison. I'll have to do some more scientific testing or perhaps a quick video. 

I'd love some sort of collapsible shroud to make it even better though. 

Sawhood-main-general.png

.. like this??

Jerry I too have looked for information on the Milwaukee stand but didn't get anywhere, seems like it's more popular in Europe tho

23 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Sawhood-main-general.png

.. like this??

Actually I was thinking something that was like an accordion and would stretch between the dust chute and the fence back so that the dust doesn't have quite so far to travel to get to the suction of DC. I'll try to draw a diagram later to show you what I'm talking about. Maybe one of the crafty individuals around these parts can knock something up and make a few bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Jerry I too have looked for information on the Milwaukee stand but didn't get anywhere, seems like it's more popular in Europe tho

Yeah. It's funny that I've seen it almost always demoed with the saw but I can't recall ever seeing a review of it anywhere. For me it'll work because like I mentioned before it seems sturdy, if not a little on the heavy side, but I wanted something stable to be able to deploy it in the garage and not have to worry about dust in the basement. I don't have a dust extraction system. 

On 10/9/2016 at 7:57 AM, glass said:

Besides the dust collection what's the verdict ? The good the bad the ugly...

From what I can gather....

It's light and fairly painless for transport..

It can work off any m18 battery (obviously not so well the smaller you go on the packs)

It cuts good, it slides super smooth 

Blade shadow lighting for your cuts

5-3/4" cut trim standing against the fence I believe is the number

Other considerations:

10" blade, reduced capacity vs 12" obviously

Some have mentioned the spring is a bit stiff when bringing the blade down for a cut, may cause deflection when doing compound cuts.

Can't do extreme compound cuts without taking one side fence off completely

Awful/what were they thinking:

Dust collection (or the lack thereof) we can blame our general apathy to dust collection in our society. I'm on jobs throughout the year, nobody cares about it, nobody uses a dust bag either! Even in houses that are already painted and they are putting up trim! Just spray the dust all over, our lungs and brooms will clean it up....

However, Milwaukee should have taken that famous "disruptive innovation" of theirs and done something proactive!! 

I've been in contact with my favourite tool supplier regularly this past while with regards to preorders, as well as some promotions they are running and what I would like to see. Turns out they are doing the toss in 9.0 as well. Guess I'll have a red mitre saw before I have a yellow one...it's going to have to be stored until the house is finished in 2 months lol. 

2 hours ago, glass said:

the m18 sawzall with charger and 9.0 battery and the 7 1/4 fuel circular saw with charger and 9.0 battery are $250 each at home depot and the 9 battery is 170 by itself. Let the deals roll.

Yup, got the fuel circ saw deal from acme during their 10% off site wide Monday and Tuesday so it was even less.... I think I want to sell the 9.0 pack and the rapid charger.... you want it?

The one feature that this saw is missing imo is a corded option. It would have been amazing if they had made this hybrid so that you could not use the battery when you are in a place where power is available. That is one thing I hope that Ryobi (since I use Ryobi tools) does if they ever release a cordless 10+" miter saw.

• Like 1

Sure having the corded option is nice but how much differnce will it be having two 9 amp batteries rotating off the quick charger in reality? I can't think of any usage scenario where you would run out of juice on the 9Ah battery before the second one was charged on the quick charger. If you have that much miter saw work planned you probably aren't looking at a portable battery powered miter saw solution anyway and neither the flexvolt or the fuel miter makes much sense.

Unlike the flexvolt though you can also use any of the older m18 batteries you already have on hand if you'd like. That and you only need one battery, unlike the flexvolt. 

• Like 1