Damn you Makita...

HiltiWpg

I have always said if I ever switched platforms again, I would probably go back to Makita.

That said, they sure are making it tempting.  I love my Hilti tools, but I am ready to ditch my M12 Fuel stuff. Weight, balance and overall design/quality is making me rethink my service tool platform.

The new CXT is shaping up to be a great 12v platform. The little Bluetooth speaker takes 12/18v packs, the little recip saw with dual trigger operation is amazing. 

Even without tool-less blade change, the 12v multi tool is also super tempting!

If they come out with a decent light or two, I am pretty sure I would jump ship!

Where to start???

Overbuilt is not quite the adjective I would use. Unless you mean weight.

Then I agree. They are way too top/side heavy and the balance is terrible. 

While the Fuel drill features the only 1/2 chuck, it's a terrible chuck. Thankfully mine only has a slight wobble. The hammer portion barely hammers. I put a 3/16 1/4 hex bit in the impact and the hammer drill. You could barely tell the difference drilling anchors into cinderblock.

The battery locking / plastic tabs is extremely cheap and clunky. They don't like being dropped. I find it too easy to lose a battery.

The tools are loud. Far too loud for the size. They squeal, clack, grind etc. 

They don't sound like a premium tool.

I expect it from the regular M12, just not the fuel. 

The M12 Fuel recip is sooooo damn heavy for something with such a short stroke length, and it is way louder than my full size 18v Hilti recip.

M12 multi tool and rotary tool get thermo-nuclear hot after brief usage, and damn, they are loud and squealy.

With all that, I do LOVE the following tools!

M12 Bluetooth radio

M12 3/8 ratchet

M12 Fuel 3/8 Rotary Hammer - Best tool out of the whole M12 Lineup!

M12 Jigsaw - great balance, feel and performance

M12 180/360 degree lantern - my favorite light

• Like 1

I agree with the tabs, I don't like that about the batteries at all. The Fuel drills are too much $ compared to competition. You can get a compact brushless set for similar money in an 18v line that has way more power and similar size. The Fuel Hackzall is a stand-out tool for me. I'm trying to wean myself off M12 almost completely but there are areas where there's not really an alternative. My main issue with M12 Fuel is its a "sub compact" system that isn't very compact. That's good info on the rotary tool and multitool, I've looked into them but have no experience with those models. 

The Bluetooth speaker is great though, as mentioned, and I gave my M12 lantern to my parents as I much prefer the M18. If they ever put out an M18 Fuel Hackzall then my parents will inherit my M12 :lol:. The 3/8 ratchet is on my to-do list. 

The M12 fuel is a bit too big for a 12v class drill. I think the gen2 fuel is actually smaller than the M12 drill length wise. They are 4 years old now though compared to the competition. I wouldn't doubt they get refreshed this winter or at the next Milwaukee event.

I actually don't have any m12 fuel, I decided against keeping the fuel hacksall because of the larger size, I just use the regular one for small stuff. The m12 that I need for my work isn't easily available from any other manufacture, especially the pex tool. 

I too was wowed by the Makita little recip saw and the two trigger setup, there are a lot of their tools I wouldn't mind having, but obviously it's getting into another battery platform that makes me hesitate. Admittedly there are a lot of brands I would love to try, but it's not completely justifiable....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DR99 said:

The M12 fuel is a bit too big for a 12v class drill. I think the gen2 fuel is actually smaller than the M12 drill length wise. They are 4 years old now though compared to the competition. I wouldn't doubt they get refreshed this winter or at the next Milwaukee event.

I havent had the two side by side in a while but i think they were almost exactly the same length with M12 fuel being a bit slimmer. From the trigger up the only real distinguishing feature is the belt clip.  M12 is by no means a compact line.

Edit: M18 is 7.60" and M12 is 7.75" on milwaukees website. Its ridiculous theyve ignored compact in favor of power in their 12V line.

That said I will probably never buy into M12 because the base of my hand grips the batteries which are loose enough to vibrate separately from the tool which gets really uncomfortable.

The new BL Makita is so nice and small, I do wish the m12 fuel was smaller but I use it more as an 18v drill than a a 12v drill, thing can handle slot of tasks you couldn't think a 12v could handle, love the fuel import that thing is very powerful and pretty compact. No line up is perfect and the new Makita line right now is looking to be very promising.

11 hours ago, kornomaniac said:

Brushless impact 10.8v CXT confirmed by the way :) TD111D

135 newtons and 3000 rpms.

20mm shorter then the current brushed CXT impact :)

Interesting, wonder if a 3/8 Impact wrench will come. 

I was asking a makita Australia rep last week and was told not at this stage, they are marketing the cxt range more to woodwork 

On 8/18/2016 at 6:15 AM, kornomaniac said:

Brushless impact 10.8v CXT confirmed by the way :) TD111D

135 newtons and 3000 rpms.

20mm shorter then the current brushed CXT impact :)

link or pics? 

I am tempted to get into the makita 12v brushless line. been very happy so far with my 18v makita tools. If I did I would probably get rid of my bosch 18v tools but not sure. I love my bosch compact tough drill. very compact for its power. 

NM...i found it http://www.makita.my/products/td111d-12vmax-cordless-impact-driver/

• Like 1