Finishing My Garage - Seal, Insulation, Drywall, Paint

olletsocmit

I thought I would start this thread & keep updating it as I go, I really like seeing other peoples projects from start to finish.  I also thought since this is my first time doing this alone, i would ask questions here when i get stuck. I live in a 4 bedroom 3 bath house w/ a 2.5 car garage.  Only 2 of the 4 walls have drywall (ones touching the inside of the house) & it has bothered me for a while now (I spend a lot of time in the garage).  This was a weird project from the start b/c my walls are not OSB or plywood, they are rare for my area & style of house ... solid gypsum board.  Took me a while to learn this, I have a thread about the walls a while back on here about it, you can also see the original pics of the garage there too -- http://bit.ly/2bqYi57

So far, i have used foam and caulk in places that there were holes in the gypsum, around the 2x4's where there were gaps, around the receptacles, and a variety of other places I tough air could come thru.  I then found a good deal on some R-13 rolls at HD that were bonus rolls w/ extra in them. I have used 2 rolls so far for this wall.  looks like it will take about 1 more to finish this one...

I have some questions which i will post in the 2nd post here after the pictures below...

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

IMG_3371.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3773.JPG

IMG_3774.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3782.JPG

IMG_3783.JPG

• Like 2

Yes i know... Not the best looking caulk and sealing jobs, but i thought who cares it works just as good as if i made it look nice for the pics, haha.  My questions are the following right now...

-  Around the receptacles, should I tape around them since its does not look like i did just a great cutting job with the insulation?

-  Should I tape the seams of any place on the insulation? ...and if so, what kind of tape should i be using?

-  I just stuffed some extra pink insulation around the windows. Should I be using foam or sealing?

-  At the bottom of the walls (where the horizontal 2x4 is connected to the concrete) should that be sealed as well?

-  At the top of the walls, should the also be sealed?

-  Should i be using rigid anywhere or is it ok to use the paper faced insulation everywhere?

-  Should i be covering everything with a plastic vapor barrier before i have the drywall or not needed b/c this is paper faced?

I want to make sure i do not miss anything big before i have all my drywall in a few days, so if anyone see's things wrong please let me know before its too late, I want honest feedback/help and usually seem to find it on here.

Also, before i do any more insulation tonight, See the pic below. there is about 4" of drywall around the top of the walls. I think its there so they could tape the corners at the top when it was put in.  Should I rip this out around the top of both the walls or should i just run the new drywall up to it and tape and mud the seam??

3 inceh top drywall.JPG

Check this out for some insulation help:

Also I would leave that strip of drywall up and put sheets up to it because it's easier doing that seam versus the wall to ceiling corner.

I don't think it's necessary to tape around the receptacles. I would seal at the bottom and top plates tho.  

Don't put plastic over the insulation batts, read up on that in the link in the other thread. 

Hope this isn't misleading.

• Like 1

so i know it was not necessary, but i have an extra roll of ramboard tape (brown paper tape).  I used it to tape a lot of spots that were not perfect and also where bats met. not sure if it well help, but cant hurt i guess.

Nail plates or w/e you call them  the metal plates you put on the stud in front of remex... go crazy and put in every single space or just where i may nail

• Like 1

OK so I am making progress and will start  to hang drywall in the next two or three days. I still need to decide whether I'm going to lay it vertical or horizontal but my main concern now is what drill to use to hang it.  Should I just use my Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill with those drywall bits or would it be better to pick up a dedicated drywall gun?   I'm pissed Milwaukee hasn't released their drywall gun yet but I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw this one for 50 bucks get it or just use my fuel drill...?

image.jpeg

On 8/24/2016 at 7:57 PM, olletsocmit said:

OK so I am making progress and will start  to hang drywall in the next two or three days. I still need to decide whether I'm going to lay it vertical or horizontal but my main concern now is what drill to use to hang it.  Should I just use my Milwaukee M18 Fuel drill with those drywall bits or would it be better to pick up a dedicated drywall gun?   I'm pissed Milwaukee hasn't released their drywall gun yet but I was at Home Depot yesterday and saw this one for 50 bucks get it or just use my fuel drill...?

image.jpeg

This would make it night and day easier to hang drywall, not only because it has a dedicated end on it to hold the screws while you steady the drywall with one hand, but it also spins faster than your Fuel drills, making it go so much faster

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

How high is it to the strip of drywall at the ceiling? If this were my garage, I would hang the drywall however I felt easiest, just do it either way, don't think it shoudl matter, especially in a garage...

Hey whats up Carl, they are 9 foot ceilings with a attic above.  I am thinking starting from the left bottom and laying horizontal...

21 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

This would make it night and day easier to hang drywall, not only because it has a dedicated end on it to hold the screws while you steady the drywall with one hand, but it also spins faster than your Fuel drills, making it go so much faster

interesting.  I just would hate getting it and really never using again.  was hoping there was a nice adaptor for my drills that would work.

• Like 1

OK so I still haven't hung the sheet rock yet I hurt myself but the other issue is I think I'm being OCD about the insulation. There are a few spots and corners Where I basically ripped apart smaller pieces of insulation and stuck them in the crevices. I'm still worried about them not being covered with craft paper. I have a roll of craft paper and tape should anything pink thats showing be covered up with the kraft paper before hanging the drywall. Also there are a few spots where there's two or three 2 x 4 studs that are all connected to each other and aren't even. should they be sanded flatter real quick with grinder or should I just cover the faces with caulk and then screw the sheet rock down...?

There are also a few things like this... the headers above the windows will sit back about 1/2" in. Should I put foam board in that space above the window before I drywall there or is it fine to just have that cavity there.

it looks like the headers are doubled up if you look to the right of the header there's a hole and it's about 1 to 2 inches deep should I knock the hose out and fill this big gap with foam?
4bd7591c67f0f7ba973d5d1519f9b45f.jpg

Well that blows banana chunks!! Take it easy..
I would fill those small holes with foam. I would also fill in the 1/2" space above the window because maybe you want to mount something to that part of the wall later on. Also wouldn't bother making those 2x4s flush with each other, but you could caulk in the seams between the boards

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Less void space the better, hope your arm gets better!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea it was not the best cut where the 2 boards met. I was gonna fill in with caulk then tape and mud.

I have been leaving a 1/2" at the bottom off the concrete. I was also going to fill that gap with caulk I think and then run molding against the floor
  • Like 1

Yea it was not the best cut where the 2 boards met. I was gonna fill in with caulk then tape and mud.

I have been leaving a 1/2" at the bottom off the concrete. I was also going to fill that gap with caulk I think and then run molding against the floor

Spray foam works wonders too! 5 bucks for a can

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed this thread so am not in time to give you advice but as a guy who's done more insulation than he cares to, Some general tips:

-use can foam around windows and doors. So much easier than batt.

-don't bend, fold, or squish batts to fit cavities, that hinders performance and can make them basically useless. 

• Like 2