Main Bath Gut

phffter

well, finally going to kick off, taking off the week starting 10/10. just bought the tub. been sitting on the tile (wall, floor, and accent) for awhile. have the faucets, towel racks. havent developed a plan for vanity and wall hanger(s). don't know yet how much room i'll pick up with the new tub and new walls. existing is plaster over gypsum board.

existing door is a fubar hollow pine, half painted by previous owner, with frame painted on hall side, lousy stain + finish on the room side. i have the new oak 6 panel door stained, urethaned, drilled and hinges routed, along with the frame.not sure what the wall thickness will be, may have to cut down the 6'' oak frame boards.  new bosch wet saw blades, as the hf blades i used for the master bath last year are junk. new carbide holesaws, pilot bits. plenty of copper and pvc fittings and pipe on hand. subfloor, cement board, green board on hand. may not have enough green board, havent decided if im opening the ceiling. new phart fan, reuse commode, as it's only 3 years young.plenty of conduit, boxes, covers. although i dont think i'll change the existing, as it was in pipe already, and i've redone the wiring a few years ago. got the insulation to stuff the outside wall, have plenty of visqueen. hmmmmmmmmm................... what could go wrong?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rrich1 said:

I'm taking off the 17-20 for the same thing. Still need to get cement board and red guard, fixtures (picked out just not bought). Have you looked into schluter ditra for the floor if you are re tiling it? Good luck to you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
nope. putting down 3/4 luan. it's tough, unflexible, solid

ive done it before, several baths, no problems.

plus, i dont plan on living here more than 5 years. property taxes are getting silly stupid, and once illynois ever passes a budget, the screws will be really turned.

i see you're also in madiganistan, you know whats happening here

3 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Yup. I hate this state but we aren't going anywhere.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3 years min. 5 years max, and it's adios.

going to head a little south. kentucky, tenn, mizzeri, arkansaw.

and, to take advantage of a semi full garbage bin, starting taking the tile down. coulda used a butter knife, it came off so easy. filled 2 buckets and threw it in the trash. put plastic up. demo in full swing satterday

• Like 1

project underway. a couple of surprises, no big deal.

this has to be the 3rd bath to be installed. previous guy piped copper directly into the galvanized. no di electric.

there's a course of green board to about 4' off the floor.

upper is plaster over wire mesh.      aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

thought it was all plaster over gypsum board

well, the mesh is a bigger pia to tear out than i thought.

2/3 done. there is alot of debris at the wall cavities bottoms from the plaster.

i definitely am NOT tearing down the ceiling. waaaay too much mess. 

i never checked for plumb/square/level walls. seems to be a wide range of dimensions.

cast iron tub, no claw feet. whaddya think? a coupla whacks with a sledge? or try to saw it?

49 minutes ago, phffter said:

yes. i thought about the shrapnel.

how about cutting it with a cutoff wheel in a metabo?

Carbide blades are junk on cast. Only time I have ever cut cast is on pipe. Best method for me was skilsaw with a cutoff wheel. A grinder with a cutoff wheel should do the trick as well.

• Like 1

Bob, any chance of you renting a Evolution saw near you? They are cold cut saws for metal. (Very little sparking) I have the Evolution chop saw and it cuts through everything metal, no-hub, kindorf, angle iron, cast, etc. Not sure if they make grinders? 

Google Evolution saws and check out their website. 

Maybe this is a good opportunity to buy a new tool? Lol 

• Like 1

3 out of 4 walls out.

tub is out.

i now see they put a sub floor over the sub floor for the 2'' oak t&g (trashed). now i know why i couldn't pull off the mesh at the walls bottom. (held in by floors) need now to get 2 more sheets of 3/4 plywood.

filled 30 buckets with concrete (plaster) and dust. what a frikkin mess i made. boy1helped tremendously, ecept he forgot to check the shop vac's filter and blew more dust than he picked up. plan is today finish tearout, set plywood and luan. get toilet functional.

also discovered my shack's age, seeing the date on tub bottom.

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

012.JPG

• Like 2

subfloor, over subfloor, over subfloor, is in.

krapper reinstalled.completion of tearout tomorrow, at least the dust will be contained.

fwiw, the slats that supported the oak, over the 1x6 subfloor, were cedar.

only 2 days behind schedule.

also signed contract for new roof today

• Like 1