Dust Collector

ChrisK

Hey guys. I'm in our new home and on the 15th I have an electrician coming in to add a sub panel and up the juice to 200amp. Once the panel is in I will be wiring in the shop. This is a much larger shop space than I've ever had and I will now be able to have an actual dust collector in the shop as opposed to my Festool Midi. 

For the the wood workers out there; what are you using for a DC unit and why? I don't want to spend a billion dollars but I want to get something to keep my Sawstop, Rikon 14" band saw, Powermatic jointer and Dewalt planer from spitting too much dust in our home. Especially with a tyke on the way!

I do not own a large DC unit yet, but I will be purchasing a Jet JCDC-2  2HP Cyclone Dust Collector very soon.  Its a unit that can handle the entire shop's needs and is still very quiet.  I am totally sold on cyclones for dust collection.

718rLojcLbL._SL1500_.jpg

Currently, I have a shop vac and Dust deputy cyclone set up.  It works pretty darn good, but lately, the tools I have been buying require a higher air flow than my 2.25 inch hose and shop vac can produce.   ie....drum sander and thickness planer.

The Jet DC is not cheap by any means, but I've been saving.  Here is a link to the unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01683ZVN8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=14P5C2RDLI4C9&coliid=I4D43WYCQVMRE

Laguna has a similar unit that they just released, but I am just not sold on them.  It is flashy looking, but I still like the stats on the jet better.  Baileigh Industrial also makes a very similar unit, but is a couple hundred dollars higher.

Good luck and I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Chris,

i only use a dust deputy, but I have seen a lot of good press on the harbor frieght 2 hp model. Reasonably priced, easy & cheap to modify .......

just thought I would throw that out there...

13 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

the only thing you need to keep in mind for this setup is the size micron filtration on the bag.  You want to make sure you are filtering at least down to a 1 micron bag.  This setup will do great picking up all of the visible sawdust and keep your shop clean, but if you are going for breathable air quality, you will want to keep an eye on the micron rating.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

the only thing you need to keep in mind for this setup is the size micron filtration on the bag.  You want to make sure you are filtering at least down to a 1 micron bag.  This setup will do great picking up all of the visible sawdust and keep your shop clean, but if you are going for breathable air quality, you will want to keep an eye on the micron rating.

This to me is not necessarily what I prefer. If health is a true concern and a system is designed around it, you'd spend a LOT of money, and still be wearing a respirator in addition to your ambient filtration. 1 micron is not nearly fine enough, HEPA is .3 micron or better. The CFM reduction due to a super fine micron rating and faster filtration clogging means you likely are eating more dust at various microns rather than only very small microns. Idealistically having both is preferred so you have volume and ultra fine filtration but when cost is of any concern the systems powerful enough to keep up the CFM are expensive. Most people are unaware that filter cake, or a layer of dust outside the filter, is actually needed for peak efficiency in most filters, so the micron ratings are actually much higher for quite some time, and then every time the filter is cleaned, thus in most cases volume is compromised, or air quality is compromised. Only way around it is spend a fortune.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 7:47 PM, regopit said:

I dare to say this but the Harbor Freight DC is a good buy for a 2hp unit $229. This along with the Dust Deputy  you should be ok

61790_zzz_500.jpg

Yes it is, especially with the cheap upgrades that will make this a top notch dust collector.  There are a couple videos on YouTube, showing how to upgrade this unit.