Score!

Hugh Jass

I typically like to build stuff, my pallet coffee table is such an item and I really like it. I was at a job for a wealthy client who's decided shes moving to California and was having a yard sale while I was working on rebuilding her outdoor grill which was on it's last leg. I was browsing some of this stuff and then I see it...a really cool Teak trunk table. She had lots of really nice stuff but this thing was speaking to me. I've seen these things go for a couple grand before and as this one was quite large I knew they'd want good money for it. So I asked not expecting it to be in my price range at all. When she said $500 I broke three fingers and ripped my back pocket trying to get my wallet out before she changed her mind. The deal was made. 

Now time to get some Teak oil and see how this thing turns out after 0000 steel wool cleaning and a good buff. Picture was in a no light situation but you get the idea anyhow. 

Takes 3 people to move it...damn thing is stout! 

IMG_20161118_140637.jpg

• Like 6

Retail right now for a table like it of equal size is minimum $1500 and seems to go up to $2,500 depending on symmetry, quality, finishing, etc...I think I could resell the table online for $1800 pretty easily. 

As for weight, it's NOT light. Teak is not one of the most dense lumbers but for whatever reason it is heavy as hell, around 4lbs per board ft at 1in thickness and nearly 50lbs per cubic ft.. I'd say that table is at about 300lbs. Two men can lift it but to try to walk with it is not easy at all. 

• 1 month later...