flexvolt radio

joemontague

I have the tough system for a year..best sound ..and stacks....BUT..the top lid sucks..the cord sucks...i have the new dcr025 ...its louder,clearer,better storage compartment . .better reception . .better technology . .tougher..faster charge times including the flexvolt . .But battery on outside sucks,should have been a lid over it...you choose

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, joemontague said:

Will the tough system  charge  the flexvolt  battery  

No. it won't run off FlexVolt either because FlexVolt doesn't fit in the battery compartment. Toughsystem Music was designed by the toolbox/storage division, not the radio division. 

19 hours ago, Framer joe said:

I have the tough system for a year..best sound ..and stacks....BUT..the top lid sucks..the cord sucks...i have the new dcr025 ...its louder,clearer,better storage compartment . .better reception . .better technology . .tougher..faster charge times including the flexvolt . .But battery on outside sucks,should have been a lid over it...you choose

Which sounds better? You said the tough system has the best sound but said the flexvolt is clearer.

ok i saw this radio at local store and bought it because of framer joe's review.  boy am i dissappointed.  the tough system radio sounds a lot better in my opinion..way more bass.  sure the charger and cord and whatnot are better on the dcr025, but the most important thing for a radio for me is the sound, which the dcr025 does not exceed.

• Like 1

Sorry,you didn't enjoy the new dcr025 ,Framer..I have both and do agree with turner85 the tough system radio is tough..(I saw TIA guys drop it 65 ft and it survived).I haven't dropped the new Flexvolt radio from 20ft but I'm sure it will pass...I think the overall sound quality on the Flexvolt radio is better....the radio build and it's user friendly on the Flexvolt.....I don't like the open battery though. ....I like all the other features on the new radio also...being a framer plug outlets are a premium....the tough system bass does thump...I didn't say it had louder bass though,just louder and better sound quality overall......I do believe it's a better radio..I love it....thanks.

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 10:22 PM, Bremon said:

I think I have an addiction to radios lol. Going to be hard to pass the 025 up if a deal pops up, despite having the ToughSystem Music, the Bosch Bluetooth pimp cube, the M12 speaker, and I plan on getting the M18 speaker. 

I'm the same. I have Hitachi's 18v Bluetooth, the DeWalt 12/18/20v cube, Bosch 12v, Milwaukee 12v (planning on selling both as I'm limiting myself to only Hitachi and DeWalt), and will be deciding between the Tough System and FlexVolt (ordered the TS but may return it depending on how it stacks up). It's addicting. My Hitachi's my primary "home" radio and I keep the DeWalt cube in my trunk. Edit: selling off every radio except my Hitachi, FV and TS. :) If I had to rank sound quality it would be TS first, then FV and Hitachi. The Hitachi's actually CRYSTAL CLEAR but there's no equalizer...if it had that it would be perfect as it has programmable alarms and a TON of other features.

• Like 2

Birds of a feather I guess lol. I'll likely sell or give away the M12 unit when the M18 Bluetooth speaker launches. The ToughSystem unit goes wherever my ToughSystem boxes do, the Bosch is a supplementary radio for work. The Bosch will go on a post in my spray booth that's off centre, while our existing Milwaukee will go on the wall furthest from the post. Need fuller sound over all the air tools and electric motors etc. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Birds of a feather I guess lol. I'll likely sell or give away the M12 unit when the M18 Bluetooth speaker launches. The ToughSystem unit goes wherever my ToughSystem boxes do, the Bosch is a supplementary radio for work. The Bosch will go on a post in my spray booth that's off centre, while our existing Milwaukee will go on the wall furthest from the post. Need fuller sound over all the air tools and electric motors etc. 

The M12 speaker was super convenient in equipment. It had enough of the rough terrain in loaders and the solder joints finally gave up and I tossed it. The Bosch 12v is unbelievably convenient in equipment. Much louder and better sound. No Bluetooth though. Great FM reception though and it does have an aux input so it will do Bluetooth with the DeWalt adapter.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

The M12 speaker was super convenient in equipment. It had enough of the rough terrain in loaders and the solder joints finally gave up and I tossed it. The Bosch 12v is unbelievably convenient in equipment. Much louder and better sound. No Bluetooth though. Great FM reception though and it does have an aux input so it will do Bluetooth with the DeWalt adapter.

I agree re: the Bosch 12v radio. It's easily the most underrated one around along with Hitachi's. Really clear sound and SLIM. If I change my mind about sticking with Bosch (and I will if they come out with their 12v brushless tools in combo kits at a reasonable price) I'll keep that and probably sell my cube.

My Tough System arrived in the mail today, so I compared it with the FlexVolt.

To me this is a toss-up. As noted earlier, the Tough System has a LOT more bass, so if you prefer that, it's a no-brainer.

That being said, the interface is pretty clunky having to toggle the volume knob to channel scan. You can stand it vertically like a boom box but the interface is clearly designed to be horizontal. When it's vertical, it's much more difficult to adjust the station, bass, treble, etc.

The Flexvolt sounds very similar, less bass but extremely clear. The interface is much better and more user-friendly, with scan buttons, mute button, antenna, and much beefier cord (albeit 3-prong compared to the tough system's 2-prong). Doesn't have 360 sound but it's very close in terms of sound immersion. Real toss-up between the two IMHO.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2016 at 7:28 PM, Jronman said:

I'd say don't get a radio but thats coming from someone who doesn't value the radio on the job site. I do like my quiet and quiet cordless tools.

I'm about the same, only reason I have the m18 jobsite radio/charger is because i was given it, never owned a radio in my life, just the ones in my vehicles lol!.. Not big into much music, but will do my iHeartRadio playlists once in awhile. Which consists of Lindsey Stirling and related genre right now

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

I'm about the same, only reason I have the m18 jobsite radio/charger is because i was given it, never owned a radio in my life, just the ones in my vehicles lol!.. Not big into much music, but will do my iHeartRadio playlists once in awhile. Which consists of Lindsey Stirling and related genre right now

I could do some stirling. It's a zillion times better than that pop garbage. I prefer stuff without lyrics when I work. 

• Like 1