Wish list tool

JMG

2 hours ago, DR99 said:

Cool but that is a nightmare I wouldn't want to get involved in. Yest your legally in the right but I imagine anyone that buys one will be on ATF list somewhere.

I figure that I am already on the list as I have a concealed carry permit. I had one when I lived in Florida and applied for one very shortly after moving back to Indiana. Indiana is laughably easy where those permits are concerned, and that ease of the permitting process actually bothers me more than being on a list. As to any particular special list that they might have, I am not too concerned about it. The BATF, in my opinion, has more to worry about than some single citizen who is a weapons hobbyist, that will always file for proper permits where necessary.

Here is my SHORT list at this very moment. At this point I'm in the mindset to increase or significantly upgrade my capability.

1. A benchtop belt/disc sander. These are offered by a dozen different companies but I'm pretty sure they're all made by the same one. I want a Jet, but $700 is out of reason, so I'll probably go with Eastwood because it's blue.

2. Paint guns. I'd like a 2 gun set and will probably go with the Devilbis Starting Line set. I'm not going to be painting cars, so I think the Starting Line set will fit my needs. 

3. Drill Doctor 750X. I've got a lot of money tied up in bits and I'm not any good at sharpening them on a grinder. The 750X will do both 118* and 135*, split points, and up to 3/4". I've got Norseman Magnums up to 1", but 3/4" covers the vast majority. 

4. Body hammer set. I gave my Eastwood set away. Dude needed a set, he's helped me out tons of times, so now I'm in the market for another set. Would lime to upgrade to the 7 piece Martin set, but $250 is a lot for the 3-4 times a year that I use them. I may just go with another Eastwood set. 

5. Wilton CS4 drill press vise. My current drill press vise is small and shitty. I'm not a machinist, but I do prefer tools that aren't total shit. 4" is big enough, without being totally massive. I'm not sure how well I will like using a cross slide, but I'm willing to find out. 

6. M18 Fuel Bandsaw. My purchase of the miter saw and shop vac likely knocked me getting this to the back burner for now, but I desperately need one.

7. Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Floor model). I would prefer this over the portaband, but space limitations apply. 

8. HF 20 Ton Shop Press. Nice to have, but not a frequent use item. When I get everything out of my shop after Christmas, I'll likely have room for either this or the band saw. Could go either way.

9. Powder Coating setup. I could order this today. It's inexpensive, but I don't have room for an oven (notice a pattern here?). I could start out with a benchtop oven, but I'd like to be able to do a 4 wheeler frame and anything less seems like I'd just be prolonging the inevitable. I could go with an IR curing set up, but that drives the cost up tremendously. 

10. 3/4" Impact set up. I have 3/4" chrome sockets, but I'd like to have impact capability as well. I figure a good gun and socket assortment would be in the $700-$800 range. It would be an occasional use situation, so that's on the back burner. 

I could do do this all night, but that's my top 10.....this week. Christmas will knock a couple of these out, but we'all have to see which ones

• Like 5

@conductor, NO 1 on your list is one of those things you can go your entire adult life without having one or ever thinking you need one BUT once you get one you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner......I love mine and use it constantly....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, comp56 said:

@conductor, NO 1 on your list is one of those things you can go your entire adult life without having one or ever thinking you need one BUT once you get one you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner......I love mine and use it constantly....

I've thought at least 100 times "damn wouldn't that be handy", so it was the first thing I put on my list. I've started to buy one a half dozen times, just never pulled the trigger.

36 minutes ago, Bigmikez said:

Devilbis will do great for you bro u can also check out some of iwata models that also work great

I looked at the Iwata guns, but all the ones I found were high end guns. But maybe they make budget models and I just haven't found them? 

I mostly paint shop projects and farm type equipment, but I've rattle canned it long enough. I want HVLP, something better than HF or HD models, and not something I'm gonna feel like I have to use once a week to justify the cost of. I thought about going straight for the Finish Line series, but I want to gauge my use before I make a bigger investment.

Next year there might be a $600 gun on my list. You never know ?

• Like 2

First thing... big assed shop with a big compressor and 240v everywhere. Then a 14" or bigger bandsaw, drill press of two, and a spindle sander. Also a lift for cars and trucks.

I'd like to have one of the Euro market M12 1/2" impact wenches, and an M18 1/2" impact wrench with the old style 2655b 'ball pin detent' in a 2755 tool.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Well #1 on the list would be all 15,000 or more dollars in tools that got stolen last night. Hopefully one of the insurance companies is willing to grant that wish. 

Well that sucks the monkey's nads..  Hope the insurance will grant your wish too.

24 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Well #1 on the list would be all 15,000 or more dollars in tools that got stolen last night. Hopefully one of the insurance companies is willing to grant that wish. 

Oh man, dude, that blows.

Here is my SHORT list at this very moment. At this point I'm in the mindset to increase or significantly upgrade my capability.

1. A benchtop belt/disc sander. These are offered by a dozen different companies but I'm pretty sure they're all made by the same one. I want a Jet, but $700 is out of reason, so I'll probably go with Eastwood because it's blue.

2. Paint guns. I'd like a 2 gun set and will probably go with the Devilbis Starting Line set. I'm not going to be painting cars, so I think the Starting Line set will fit my needs. 

3. Drill Doctor 750X. I've got a lot of money tied up in bits and I'm not any good at sharpening them on a grinder. The 750X will do both 118* and 135*, split points, and up to 3/4". I've got Norseman Magnums up to 1", but 3/4" covers the vast majority. 

4. Body hammer set. I gave my Eastwood set away. Dude needed a set, he's helped me out tons of times, so now I'm in the market for another set. Would lime to upgrade to the 7 piece Martin set, but $250 is a lot for the 3-4 times a year that I use them. I may just go with another Eastwood set. 

5. Wilton CS4 drill press vise. My current drill press vise is small and shitty. I'm not a machinist, but I do prefer tools that aren't total shit. 4" is big enough, without being totally massive. I'm not sure how well I will like using a cross slide, but I'm willing to find out. 

6. M18 Fuel Bandsaw. My purchase of the miter saw and shop vac likely knocked me getting this to the back burner for now, but I desperately need one.

7. Metal Cutting Bandsaw (Floor model). I would prefer this over the portaband, but space limitations apply. 

8. HF 20 Ton Shop Press. Nice to have, but not a frequent use item. When I get everything out of my shop after Christmas, I'll likely have room for either this or the band saw. Could go either way.

9. Powder Coating setup. I could order this today. It's inexpensive, but I don't have room for an oven (notice a pattern here?). I could start out with a benchtop oven, but I'd like to be able to do a 4 wheeler frame and anything less seems like I'd just be prolonging the inevitable. I could go with an IR curing set up, but that drives the cost up tremendously. 

10. 3/4" Impact set up. I have 3/4" chrome sockets, but I'd like to have impact capability as well. I figure a good gun and socket assortment would be in the $700-$800 range. It would be an occasional use situation, so that's on the back burner. 

I could do do this all night, but that's my top 10.....this week. Christmas will knock a couple of these out, but we'all have to see which ones

They have some sweet mounts to make a porta band not so portable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1