Question, dremel and jigsaw or a drill

Mike stark

Christmas is coming up and u was wondering, if you are starting out with woodworking and you have the basic hand tools, what tools should you buy next. Keep in mind that I would like to build a desk from old pallets.(just an example)

A dremel with accessories AND a jigsaw OR a cordless drill?

Costing both around 105 dollars.

• Like 1

Well a dremel is nice for small things and spins around 30,000rpm . A jigsaw is very good for wood  working and light metal work  a drill is a all around tool use for alot uses but for screws i highly recommend a impact driver will make a world of difference what brands you looking at :) have a good one

• Like 1

If you already have a corded drill I would probably opt for the Dremel and jigsaw. You can make do without a corded drill and that way you can get more tools. I know when I'm building something the Dremel and jigsaw are pretty handy. If you don't have any type of drill I would probably opt for the drill. Just my .02 though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, well the thing is. I have a corded drill but it is an old one, and I do not intend to drill holes in every piece of wood I find. I was thinking maybe I could so some drilling with the dremel? Or is that wishful thinking? I am located in the Netherlands so the tool brands are pretty limited here. 

Second thing I am getting into woodworking. do you guys think I am forgetting a very important tool that would make itself a lot more useful then the ones I was telling about?

• Like 1

You can drill small holes with the dremel, but nothing compared to a real drill. Not sure what you are looking to spend, but a table saw would probably be a first big purchase for me if I was looking to get into woodworking.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dremels are handy tools but for building something like a desk I would go for a circular saw and decent cordless drill.  I bought a cheap Skill Saw brand circular saw 5 or 6 years ago and have built some major things with it like my 16' x 16' cabin, numerous out buildings, porches, etc.. They are easy to maintain, change blades and the cost is minimal compared to the benefits.  Plenty of good cordless drills out there that will last a long time. I recommend Dewalt.

• Like 2

Man, if your just starting out, used corded tools can be your best friend for a few reasons:

1. Cost - Seem's like everyone ignores the tools that plug in the wall. Check out Craigslist or garage sales in your area and you can easily find some cheap drills. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for a drill and $40 for a circular saw.

2. No batteries - means extended run time at the cost of portability. This will be something that you will have to think about. If your working in your garage/shop, I would go with a corded drill. Batteries tend to be expensive and they just add on to the price of tools. 

3. Memories - Corded tools will last and last. You will grow fond of your old corded tools as you build projects and memories with them. The bits of electrical tape over the extension cord mark the many years the tool was put in use.

Some other notes:

- Ryobi is an excellent brand if your just starting out (heck, even if your not). 

- Brushed Cordless tools are still kick ass.

- I'd pick a cordless drill over a Dremel. You can always chuck up those little Dremel bits but you cant drive screws with a Dremel.

- Jigsaw is very versatile, which is something you want when your starting out or on a budget. You want a tool that wears many hats and the Jigsaw is one of them. It's also not as intimidating to use as a circular saw.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mike stark said:

Christmas is coming up and u was wondering, if you are starting out with woodworking and you have the basic hand tools, what tools should you buy next. Keep in mind that I would like to build a desk from old pallets.(just an example)

A dremel with accessories AND a jigsaw OR a cordless drill?

Costing both around 105 dollars.

How serious are you about woodworking? A cordless drill, though nice is certainly not the only one at the top of the list! A circular saw, a router, a small drill are really great tools to have! Jigsaws are great, especially if you don't have a bandsaw. A jigsaw can do long straight cuts with a rail and a very thick blade but a circular saw would do much better. The dremel, while very nice to have, has been absent from my shop for quite some time now. I might pick one up to do some light carving but I don't use it all that much.

If you want to do pocket hole joinery and keep your projects small a drill and a jig saw would be great, a circular saw should be up there at the top of your list too though. You can make a rail to run your circular saw on and make long accurate cuts until such a time as you can afford a table saw or a bandsaw. A router would also be at the top of my list and can be found for sale for cheap money and you can make pattern cuts with such a tool and have a lot of power to boot. You can also joint boards, though a pain in the butt, with a router. 

Sorry for for answering your question with a question and sidetracking your answers, I hate doing that, but the list of important tools grows quickly when you start down that rabbit hole! Also....don't get me started on hand tools!

• Like 1

I'd say try to find a track saw instead of a circular saw. The track saw when used with tracks will provide a much better cut than a circular saw. You could probably find a good used one with some rail for a good price. Also you could get an oscillating multi-tool. It may not be the best at everything it is capable of doing but like the Dremel it is very versatile. There's a wide range of attachments from sanding pads to various blades of various shapes and sizes rated for various materials and applications. Also the blades aren't super expensive. You can get a variety pack of multi-tool accessories for less than one dollar a blade.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mike stark said:

And keep in mind I have the basic hand tools, so wolhat would you guys get (electric) with 100 dollars? In my position, just doing it for a hobby and not really knowing quite Shure if it I like it or not.

based on that statement I suggest you don't buy anything yet, do some research in your area for someone that is doing woodworking as a hobby or even a pro shop explain to them that you are interested in woodworking but don't know where to start, ask them if you could get a tour of sorts to see what it is like first hand especially if your not sure you like it or not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, comp56 said:

based on that statement I suggest you don't buy anything yet, do some research in your area for someone that is doing woodworking as a hobby or even a pro shop explain to them that you are interested in woodworking but don't know where to start, ask them if you could get a tour of sorts to see what it is like first hand especially if your not sure you like it or not. 

This.

Do your research, a LOT of research, when you jump into a brands' lineup it's a big choice.

• Like 1

you also have to remember there are still woodworkers that are unplugged woodworkers, My father was an old time very passionate unplugged woodworker, he taught me a lot of techniques that today are not used as much that require no power tools......His commitment to woodworking as a hobbyist was by far way stronger than mine however it was his hobby and his passion... he didn't care if a project took months to build he loved doing it......in fact later on in life he got involved in local schools to teach/show kids some of his techniques as a volunteer the sheer happiness on his face when he watched a young man (boy) run home with a small little birdhouse he built himself was priceless

• Like 1

Comp said it best. $100 is a hard starting budget to work with. There are a few staples you'll need to get started in even the smallest capacity, and $100 isn't going to get you there.

You'lol need at very minimum a drill, a jig saw, and a circular saw to carry out the most basic processes. Once you start building things, you'll learn what you need and add it as the need arises. You'll eventually want a couple different sanders, a router, a Miter Saw, and table saw. Then you'll start eyeing a planer, a joiner, a router table, and a dovetail machine. Over time your needs, wants and desires will be bigger and bigger and your available space will get smaller and smaller. 

Tools are like titties. You get your hands on one of them, you want to get your hands on them all ?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Conductor562 said:

Tools are like titties. You get your hands on one of them, you want to get your hands on them all ?

your so right......wait which one is bigger again?

• Like 2

Comp said it best. $100 is a hard starting budget to work with. There are a few staples you'll need to get started in even the smallest capacity, and $100 isn't going to get you there.

You'lol need at very minimum a drill, a jig saw, and a circular saw to carry out the most basic processes. Once you start building things, you'll learn what you need and add it as the need arises. You'll eventually want a couple different sanders, a router, a Miter Saw, and table saw. Then you'll start eyeing a planer, a joiner, a router table, and a dovetail machine. Over time your needs, wants and desires will be bigger and bigger and your available space will get smaller and smaller. 

Tools are like titties. You get your hands on one of them, you want to get your hands on them all [emoji2]

Tia quote of the year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1