Misc Drill bit holder

CATERPILLAR

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, comp56 said:

nice now grind the bottom off, flip it over and tack all the bits to the tubing flip over again and weld bottom back on............no one will ever steal any of your bits.......

you could always wire it so they get a nice little zap if they try 

• Like 1

I have the KISS Drill Bit System from Fastcap. 

IMG_6787.PNG

Bits are ok. Not bad general purpose bits, but they're no Norseman or Chicago-Latrobe. Love the index though. It sets on my bench and makes it super convenient to grab a bit. 

When i overhaul my shop next year I'll probably mount it next to my drill press.

• Like 1

IMG_6787.PNG

Bits are ok. Not bad general purpose bits, but they're no Norseman or Chicago-Latrobe. Love the index though. It sets on my bench and makes it super convenient to grab a bit. 

When i overhaul my shop next year I'll probably mount it next to my drill press.

That's a slick organizer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/27/2016 at 1:54 AM, Conductor562 said:

IMG_6787.PNG

I was wondering if your shop was overhauled yet since the next year has come.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jronman said:

I was wondering if your shop was overhauled yet since the next year has come.

LOL, I wish man. Right now I'm helping my wife's grandpa do some stuff on his house, putting laminate flooring in a buddy's house, coaching 3 basketball teams, and trying to find time to work on my house.

I wish everyone didn't know how handy I am ?

• Like 1

Nice little project, usually when i start getting misc bits over the place, i end up tossing them and getting a new index, it's about a 5-6 year cycle. Then after i break a bit or two, i'll replace them in singles, then some will go missing, because I lost them, or I don't feel like sharpening them, then i'll buy an extra of the most common ones, but they wear down first, so i'll grab the next size larger since it's not crucial the hole for my 3/8" threaded rod is slightly larger... then eventually i'll buy a new index and start all over LOL

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Nice little project, usually when i start getting misc bits over the place, i end up tossing them and getting a new index, it's about a 5-6 year cycle. Then after i break a bit or two, i'll replace them in singles, then some will go missing, because I lost them, or I don't feel like sharpening them, then i'll buy an extra of the most common ones, but they wear down first, so i'll grab the next size larger since it's not crucial the hole for my 3/8" threaded rod is slightly larger... then eventually i'll buy a new index and start all over LOL

I just need to buy a really good set but am affraid of breaking them 

11 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

I just need to buy a really good set but am affraid of breaking them 

Well if it's any consolation, i just dropped in at Menards and picked up a cheap index with the 15% off grocery bag thing. forget what the total on the bits came out to be, something like $12 or $13. I expect I'll get what i pay for. And this is the full bit index from 1/16" to 1/2"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Well if it's any consolation, i just dropped in at Menards and picked up a cheap index with the 15% off grocery bag thing. forget what the total on the bits came out to be, something like $12 or $13. I expect I'll get what i pay for. And this is the full bit index from 1/16" to 1/2"

Yes u might try learning to sharpen bits or get harbor freight ones

I maintain 3 classes of drill bits:

1: High quality bits used almost exclusively for metal drilling. The Norseman super premium are my best and I have them up to 1", but you will also find the Brazilian Irwin bits (decent quality) and a set of Cobalt Craftsman bits that I feel retarded having paid $100 for when I could have gotten Norseman for the same price. I needed them in a pinch, so that makes me feel a little better, but still. 

2. General Purpose bits used exclusively in the confines of my shop. These reside on my bench, in the Fastcap index, and are used for everyday drilling jobs in wood and everything other than metal. The are quick to access and quick to put away.

3. Mobile sets are used anywhere, for anything, if it takes place outside the shop setting. This includes everything from hanging pictures in the house to, well pretty much anything. I keep a Milwaukee Thunderbolt set in the garage for anything on the property and a Dewalt pilot point set in the truck for anything abroad. I don't baby them, use drilling lube with them, or really even care about them. When sizes break or come up missing I take KnarlyCarl's approach and replace them. I tend to get a year or so out of these sets. 

• Like 1