Makita 12V system

Jaybird

Honestly, I have to recommend Milwaukee for 12V. There's nothing wrong with Makita, Milwaukee just offers so much more in 12V than the competition. 

It all depends on what you you want, but Milwaukee definitely offers the most upside in the 12V category. 

• Like 1

I'd add Bosch has an awesome 12v lineup that I love. They are certainly super compact tools compared to some of the Milwaukee lineup and currently have the second largest lineup of subcompact 12v tools however I digress....you asked about Makita and I don't own any of those 12v tools. I own a few 18v tools and the build quality of above expectation with every one of my Makita's . Hope that helps!

Cxt is new and releasing some tools, pretty economical in price, some stuff they cut corners on to save costs. But they are slide packs, I prefer the stick on the m12 and the tool selection is phenomenal. I'd say depends on your needs but the brushed makita drill and impact are just meh, definitely go brushless

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you need any of the specialty specific trade tools Milwaukee makes in the 12v line ? If yes, then go Milwaukee.

If the answer is no, read on.

Makita CXT is in my opinion the most modern 12v line on the market.

The brushless drills/impact feature the best power/weight ratio on the market. Milwaukee drills are abit stronger but at the cost of being small 18v sized and weighted.

Slide packs instead of pod style batteries. Although also abit of personal preference I think we can all agree that for the vast majority of people the slimmer grips of a tool with a slide pack is alot more comfortable then the fatter grips of pod style 12v tools like milwaukee or Bosch. As an added benefit they can stand straight up :)

Battery gauges on the batteries themselves. Something that Makita lagged with in 18v. They are the first and possible only ? Manufacturer Wich puts battery gauges on their 12v batteries.

Fastest 12v charger ( first place together with Hilti ).  Less charging means more working.

Impact driver with speed selections ! What we all love on 18v impacts is now available in 12v.

And very important: Makita Japan CEO has let known that they are taking the new 12v CXT line very seriously and they will give milwaukee 12v line ( Wich is vastly bigger at the moment) a run for their money in each and every way :)

This is an excellent review to read:

www.protoolreviews.com/buying-guides/best-12v-cordless-drill-roundup/25102/

You will see Makita 12v packs power without leaving compact size.

Also a negative note

Do not buy the Makita 12v CXT brushed drills. They aren't anything special. Only their cheap price was. You want the brushless drills/drivers for the reasons summed up above !

• Like 3

I will agree that the size of the Milwaukee M12 Fuel drill is a bit rediculous. I wanted a compact drill to use primarily for woodworking projects (pilot holes, mounting hinges, etc, etc) and went with my mind made up that I was getting the fuel. 

Once I got to really looking at it, it's extreme deminsions were every bit as big as the M18 compact and really defeated the purpose I was looking for. I ended up going with the much smaller brushed model and to be honest, I'm not overly crazy about it either. Performance is sufficient, but the grip sucks. 

I strongly prefer the Dewalt 12V drill (I have the identical Mac version), but it didn't make sense to me to stray from the line for one tool. 

• Like 1

I haven't read this thread thru so I don't know if this helps or not but for drilling small holes, even some larger, I just use my impact. It's just so much smaller and so easy to change bits. It has more than enough power for small holes that it doesn't even impact while drilling.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Milwaukee the only company this has combined charging of 18 and 12 v tools on the same charging base. That is important to me because most job sites I am on power is limited and it is nice charging 2 batteries at the same time and it takes up less space. If you work in a shop all the time this may not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, tcoscarelli said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Milwaukee the only company this has combined charging of 18 and 12 v tools on the same charging base. That is important to me because most job sites I am on power is limited and it is nice charging 2 batteries at the same time and it takes up less space. If you work in a shop all the time this may not matter.

Dewalt's older chargers also supported 12V batteries, but the newer fast chargers don't since it looks like they're ending support for the 12V line.

I have no idea why makita didn't support a dual charger since my 18V charger says 7.2-18V.

• Like 1

Dewalt's older chargers also supported 12V batteries, but the newer fast chargers don't since it looks like they're ending support for the 12V line.

I have no idea why makita didn't support a dual charger since my 18V charger says 7.2-18V.

I think it makes sense to have dual chargers. It definitely encourages you to consider the other battery platform sense you look at the charger every day, taunting you with the vacant spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Did they come out and say they are ending the line yet? They have the new lasers but I haven't heard anything else. No new tools coming out for a while now.