Size matters...

Kato

No matter what anybody tells you, no matter how you phrase it, no matter what you think...size definitely does matter.

What the hell?!?!? You guys have got some dirty minds, I was talking about the size of the garage. Geez, get your minds out of the frickin' gutter!!

So, on a whim, I decided to measure the garage. Unless my tape measure is seriously effed-up, I got 20' deep by 18' wide, no wonder I can't fit shit in there. Who the hell comes up with this "2-car garage" line of bullshit, you can barely fit two cars in there, God forbid you have tools or stuff to store in there. Luckily I've been able to Tetris everything together, otherwise I wouldn't have any tools or anything in there.

What size is everyone's garage? Curious to know what you guys do for the space you have.

• Like 2

Hey Kato,

They are never big enough! Mine is L shaped and about 1050 SF.   About 15' of it is only 20' deep where we park and the rest  is 37' deep except one corner with auxiliary stairs going to the basement

Fortunately I built a 15x24 shed about 3 years ago to hold the yard stuff so that junk is not taking up space in my garage.

Not complaining as I am happy to have what I do.

• Like 1

27'x11', with a standard human door instead of a rollup which sucks. I can't park in it and wider things won't fit. The odd thing is there was a rollup door but it's always had the human door framed in front of it so it's never been parked in. Eventually that will change and I'll get it converted and a new rollup installed. Will never park in it since garage = shop and I'm not cramming everything into the back of it.

• Like 1

When I had the mini van and didn't park in the garage I had half to work with. After buying the new cars I started parking in the garage, which meant remodeling my entire side. Now that I've got it how I like it...again...I'm thinking of making the bench longer. More headache thinking about that of course, but at least it will be cheap. Menard's sells cheap doors, they look like returns or pre-hung doors that were taken off the frames...and they're between $2-$5. Would make a great benchtop. I can easily move the drill press and vise, but I'll have to notch the back of the top because I store my sheet goods against the wall and the top would go in front of it. No biggie, and it beats trying to move the sheet goods to a new spot.

There are no new spots to be had in my little shack of a garage. As for lawn stuff, the mower and other stuff is in the shed in the back yard, the snow blower only goes into the garage during the winter and the string trimmers hang on the ceiling, out of the way.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 5:52 PM, Kato said:

No matter what anybody tells you, no matter how you phrase it, no matter what you think...size definitely does matter.

What the hell?!?!? You guys have got some dirty minds, I was talking about the size of the garage. Geez, get your minds out of the frickin' gutter!!

So, on a whim, I decided to measure the garage. Unless my tape measure is seriously effed-up, I got 20' deep by 18' wide, no wonder I can't fit shit in there. Who the hell comes up with this "2-car garage" line of bullshit, you can barely fit two cars in there, God forbid you have tools or stuff to store in there. Luckily I've been able to Tetris everything together, otherwise I wouldn't have any tools or anything in there.

What size is everyone's garage? Curious to know what you guys do for the space you have.

Garages are not all the same size that is for sure. We sold a house with a three car garage and bought a new one with a three car garage, (a must have) and once we got in there it was quickly evident that the size was not the same. The height of the ceiling was lower and the width and depth are less. I used to be able to have all my stuff in the one car side and still park my truck in the garage. Now my car is parked outside in the driveway. Gotta have your priorities straight right?

That's how I was with the mini van...rather have workspace than parking space. However, I felt the necessity to take care of the new car, because new cars don't happen often. I also thought it was a lot more fun to get in and drive, versus cleaning off snow and warming it up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...