Reverse camera screen black once i put truck in reverse

FlaveNico

Have a 2007 dodge 2500 diesel That I purchased  used.  it has a pioneer N5 deck with flip out screen. the guy has a sub and amp installed etc and a rear view license plate camera. the radio works, the sub works, the Satellite radio works,

BUT the issue is, When i Shift into reverse the screen switches to camera mode but its black, on the screen you see the warning that things on screen may be reversed, but thats it.

Any idea? im pretty sure it was wired correctly because i see the wiring tucked away nicely and zip tied. bad camera? maybe? 

Head unit : Pioneer AVIC-n5

Could be bad camera or bad fuse or power supply module. The camera should be a RCA style connector for the video but the camera needs power so there is an inline module to do that. At least on all the Pioneers I have had.

• Like 1

I removed the glove compartment and found the "hide away" unit  and saw a yellow RCA plugged into the "camera" port. its just hard to go down each wire to check.   

5 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Could be bad camera or bad fuse or power supply module. The camera should be a RCA style connector for the video but the camera needs power so there is an inline module to do that. At least on all the Pioneers I have had.

13 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I think you will find another small box to power the camera.

The whole setup should look something like this.PIOONER_ND-BC20PA-3.thumb.jpg.ea0d6b79512f3fea4b2d7f61744fddaf.jpg

could it be done without that other box? this seems to be the camera offered from pioneer. the one installed is silver and built in the license plate frame. its very similar to this one.   https://www.crutchfield.com/S-jfV4y9WpZcA/p_707VTL200/Boyo-License-Plate-Camera-Chrome-finish.html

Something has to power the camera.

The Yellow line with RCA connector that goes into your Pioneer is nothing more than a video output signal.

The one you linked has a DIN style connector where it gets its B+ (power).

if your connector you are talking about looks like this.

300px-Composite-video-cable.jpg.6ef094b6748cf54ffe99c20ebf2fa0df.jpg

Then there is more because that wont power the camera.

Just now, rrmccabe said:

Something has to power the camera.

The Yellow line with RCA connector that goes into your Pioneer is nothing more than a video output signal.

The one you linked has a DIN style connector where it gets its B+ (power).

if your connector you are talking about looks like this.

300px-Composite-video-cable.jpg.6ef094b6748cf54ffe99c20ebf2fa0df.jpg

Then there is more because that wont power the camera.

oh yeah,  one wire is spliced into the back of the head unit itself using a Male-female inline tap   i disconnected the male and used A test light to see if there's power and there was

Well you need to trace it out. Keep in mind there is one wire that either connects to hot or ground to tell the head unit you are backing up. That is working because your head unit is going black. If properly done your camera power should be fused.  good luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Someone pulled a joke on ya, there's electrical tape over the camera lens lol.... Ask me how I know haha

This or the camera being turned is a plausible case. I see that with low vision machines we get at the shop. Someone will move it and the housing will shift and knock the camera out of alignment.

Here's one way to test the head unit, unplug the video cable and plug in a video cable attached to nothing. Does it say "No signal"? If yes, then your camera is getting power and is sending a signal but the picture is blank, check the lens, if still bad then the camera is bad.

If no, then you don't know if the camera is getting power or if the camera is sending a picture and you're kinda screwed...you'll have to verify the head unit is working by putting a signal into it or verify the camera is or isn't working by hooking it up to a TV. It could be a pinched wire. Is there a way to test continuity of the wires?

• Like 1

lol no camera isn't flipped or covered, i gotta trace it back and see if its pinched anywhere, just a pain in the butt since its all tucked away behind the dash etc...    for now, the rear view mirror will do, and if i back up and hear a bang or noise, i'll know  OK a bit to far.

• Like 1