Starter Bar Clamps?

Jronman

What would you guys suggest for a good starter set of parallel bar clamps? I already have 4 of the 6in Irwin quickgrip trigger clamps. They work ok for smaller things but I am going to need some bigger clamps soon. I heard Bessey and Jet clamps are good. Irwin has a couple similar clamps as well. 

I would avoid a lot of the Jorgensen and Bessey cheap F clamps. There are a lot of the Jorgensens being closed out right now and many are not worth having as the pressed on ball foot is crap.

Sounds like you might be looking for a Bessey K style.  I dont have the Jet clamps but most people say they like them better than the Bessey mostly because they way they release.

3 hours ago, rrmccabe said:
I would avoid a lot of the Jorgensen and Bessey cheap F clamps. There are a lot of the Jorgensens being closed out right now and many are not worth having as the pressed on ball foot is crap.   Sounds like you might be looking for a Bessey K style.  I dont have the Jet clamps but most people say they like them better than the Bessey mostly because they way they release.

I've got a bunch of Jets and a few Besseys. I really like the trigger on the Jets and this are the ones I try to purchase the most.  

IMG_0305.JPG

• Like 1

@ChrisK Do you like the little black deals between the jaws on the Bessey clamps? I noticed the Jets don't have the non marring pads on the jaws. Do you see this as an issue?

I found this bessey on home depot. seems like a decent deal. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-50-in-K-Body-REVO-Parallel-Clamp-with-Composite-Plastic-Handle-and-3-3-4-in-Throat-Depth-KR3-550/204986216

the jets prices seem decent on amazon

37 minutes ago, Jronman said:

@ChrisK Do you like the little black deals between the jaws on the Bessey clamps? I noticed the Jets don't have the non marring pads on the jaws. Do you see this as an issue?

I found this bessey on home depot. seems like a decent deal. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-50-in-K-Body-REVO-Parallel-Clamp-with-Composite-Plastic-Handle-and-3-3-4-in-Throat-Depth-KR3-550/204986216

the jets prices seem decent on amazon

Yeah, the clamp supports are okay but the Jets don't need them. The not marring clamps are more of a pain, I've lost several and they are decent but not a selling point for me. The Besseys are cheaper price wise though and they are solid clamps. I still like my Jets better but I will continue to purchase Besseys as well.

The larger clamps get very expensive to build a nice collection. I bought all of these between CL and Ebay (local Pick up) A bunch of Jet clamps came up on CL by me not too long ago, but I figure I already have enough. Depending upon your area I would keep looking on CL and see what comes up.I don't think I have more than 350.00 into all the clamps on that wall.  

IMG_5558.JPG