Advice on cordless lighting

FisHunt

Hello TIAforum! 

I'm putting up a pole building, quite a bit will be done at dusk/after dark and do not have decent access to electrical at the site.  Was looking for feedback from anyone who has had experience with the Milwaukee Trueview stand light (2130-20) and/or the Trueview flood (2360-20).  I don't have the budget for the Rocket stand light, so please don't suggest that one.

I need the best balance of wide area lighting and mounting/stand options, which is why I chose these two models (and I'm in the Milwaukee battery platform).

Any feedback/suggestions on which of these two units would best fit my needs would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance 

2 hours ago, FisHunt said:

Hello TIAforum! 

I'm putting up a pole building, quite a bit will be done at dusk/after dark and do not have decent access to electrical at the site.  Was looking for feedback from anyone who has had experience with the Milwaukee Trueview stand light (2130-20) and/or the Trueview flood (2360-20).  I don't have the budget for the Rocket stand light, so please don't suggest that one.

I need the best balance of wide area lighting and mounting/stand options, which is why I chose these two models (and I'm in the Milwaukee battery platform).

Any feedback/suggestions on which of these two units would best fit my needs would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance 

I have the 2360-20 and love it. It can be plugged in if you have electricity, but if not you can use batteries. Obviously, the 9.0 is best for runtime (duh). Even on medium, its plenty bright. I typically just set it on top of my ladder or run a bungee or rope thru the handles and hang it from a tree or pole or something. My only issue I have had is when sanding drywall, the dust really made it impossible to pivot the light. I took it apart and cleaned those little pieces and it was fine. So try and keep it away from reallly fine dust. I got mine on a deal that came with a free 5.0 battery and have seen that deal periodically, so keep an eye out. If nothing else, you can get $20 off $100 spent at acmetools.com the rest of today.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Julian said:

I have the 2360-20 and love it. It can be plugged in if you have electricity, but if not you can use batteries. Obviously, the 9.0 is best for runtime (duh). Even on medium, its plenty bright. I typically just set it on top of my ladder or run a bungee or rope thru the handles and hang it from a tree or pole or something. My only issue I have had is when sanding drywall, the dust really made it impossible to pivot the light. I took it apart and cleaned those little pieces and it was fine. So try and keep it away from reallly fine dust. I got mine on a deal that came with a free 5.0 battery and have seen that deal periodically, so keep an eye out. If nothing else, you can get $20 off $100 spent at acmetools.com the rest of today.

6C2F3275-B0FB-4719-B2AD-B34B16067259.png

20 hours ago, Renner_construction said:

Your going to need way more then 3,000 lumens... if a few 400 dollar lights aren’t in your “budget” than perhaps you should re consider putting up a pole barn in the first place..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's kind of rude.

20 hours ago, Daniel Julian said:

Thanks for the feedback on that light!

Yeah, I saw that deal at Acme.  I stopped in to my local store and took a look.  The Depot also has the stand light at $199  with a free 5.0ah.  So that's my decision to right now, the 3000 lumen light with a 3.0 xc battery or the 2000 stand light with the 5.0ah.

1 hour ago, FisHunt said:

Wow, that's kind of rude.

I think he was just alluding to that the cost of the light is not substantial in the cost of the project.

Honestly, I think you'd be better with two of the 2130-20s...I think you'd need two of any of the lights otherwise you'll find yourself moving the light a lot.

I think he was just alluding to that the cost of the light is not substantial in the cost of the project.

Honestly, I think you'd be better with two of the 2130-20s...I think you'd need two of any of the lights otherwise you'll find yourself moving the light a lot.

Yes! Speaking from experience, nothing rude about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/29/2017 at 10:31 AM, BMack37 said:

I appreciate that point, but my building materials ran just over 5k and I set my total budget including new tools and miscellany at 6k, almost 20% of budget on lights just isn't going to happen.  I'll just take a few days off work before doing that.

Believe me, I'd love to have more toys, but money is accounted for already.  

Hi Fishunt,

I think there might be some other options for you.  Consider the Ridgid panel light which is 2,500 lumens and can run on both AC power and a Ridgid battery.  I bought one of these and liked it so much that I went back to HD and bought another one, the Ridgid flood, and the Ridgid tripod!  They have a deal going right now if you buy two Ridgid bare tools you get a charger and 2 ah battery free. You'll have a little more flexibility with the panel light and making it just throw in one direction or making it a near 360 degree light.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-18-Volt-Hybrid-Folding-Panel-Light-R8694221B/207041053?keyword=ridgid+panel+light

As far as the Milwaukee stand light, they actually have a deal going on right now where you can buy the light and it comes with both a 5.0 ah battery AND a charger for $199 which is going on until 11/30.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Rocket-LED-Tower-Light-Kit-2130-20P/207121220?keyword=2130-20p